Ranger Prestige Class

The telepaths that serve the religious caste would catch a latent telepath long before he got very far in his training to join the Anla'shok. If no duplicity was intended, he might become a liaison for them, but if it was done intentionally... well... that might go poorly.

-August

If you're following all of the Babylon 5 material, then telepaths of at least some level can become Rangers. In the Legend of the Rangers movie, Dulann has some empathic or telepathic ability that alows him to sense the dead souls on the ship. One of the other Minbar makes specific mention of this being a latent telepathic ability.

We dont really know much about how other races handle latent telepaths. As the Minbari dont seem to have the same levels of fear of telepaths as earth does, I'm not sure they would really discriminate against latent telepaths in any way.

from what iv read of the PRC... it states that its not impossible for a Telepath to become a Ranger.. but its very difficult. and id imagn its fround apon within the rangers. since in my opinion a Telepath is woth too much to put in that kind of danger.

jadrax said:
Judge Walker said:
mrnickdotcom said:
Also, the Bastard sword is listed only under the Exotic weapons section.
That may be, however under the discription of the weapon it clarifies that its only exotic when used one handed, when used Two-Handed it's a martial weapon. In both 3 and 3.5

The Dwarvern Waraxe works the same way too.

I am guessing that its an exotic weapon more because of its ancient and archaic nature, given the game is set in the 23rd centuary, I think it safe to assume the sword is itself a somewhat exotic weapon.

OT:

I don;t remember that for the Dwarven War Axe. In the last game we played the GM certainly didn't let the Dwarf in our party use the War Axe one handed. :shock:

I can answer that one. The PRC will be in the upcoming Season 3 book, which I will also take a shot for the team for by saying that if it gets delayed, it will be because of my surgery last month and continuing health issues. :(

But never fear, you will have it. That I promise you!

-August

Judge Walker said:
OT:

I don;t remember that for the Dwarven War Axe. In the last game we played the GM certainly didn't let the Dwarf in our party use the War Axe one handed.
Again, its only One handed if teh dwarf bought the exotic weapon feat, so that could explain it. Actually im not 100% sure it was that way in 3rdEd, but its definatly the rules in 3.5, (he says having just double checked to make sure.)

Yeah I really hope you get better August.

From what I've read about the Ranger PRC I have to admit I really like it. The attitude and mission of the Rangers is not to be taken lightly and if you can't grasp that one shouldn't be a Ranger. Though when I start running my game and I have a player wanting to join the Anla-Shok I will put them through a bunch of test and if they pass them well enough they will be come a liason then later be inducted into the Rangers. That way a player can get the feel of what their new life will be like and so on.

Really good job, though I would like to see the revision of the PRC when you put it in the 3rd Season book.

Thanks, guys. My health has gone horribly down hill this year, but I am happy to say that things are finally looking better for me... and consequently for the books I am working on.

Lynx, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the reworked Ranger at all. I love the way it turned out...

Thanks for the well-wishes, all,
-August

Here's hopeing you get better. Someone has to feed our addicitons. BTW I really like the work up on the Ranger PRC myself, since I haven't said that I don't think.

The Pike is a Minbari weapon, no human or drazi(or wtf) has ever seen one, and then if a PC suddently finds this little metal box on a ranger corps, and then suddently it unfolds to a metal pike, you just dont suddently know all the secret in how to use it.

And I dont think the standar E/A soldiers get a Bo course in their boot camp either..

This is not a normal staff, if it was, the Minbari would not care if someone else had one. Is says somewhere that only a very few has ended up on the blackmarked, fetching as much as 5000 credits..

Sommers said:
If you're following all of the Babylon 5 material, then telepaths of at least some level can become Rangers. In the Legend of the Rangers movie, Dulann has some empathic or telepathic ability that alows him to sense the dead souls on the ship. One of the other Minbar makes specific mention of this being a latent telepathic ability.

I agree. However Dulann is an ISA Ranger, recruited and trained in a different age for a different role.

I cannot imagine that the Anla'Shok have no use for telepaths. Quite the opposite I would imagine. Their role would be substantially different from the PrC August has presented here and would therefore require a PrC of their own. Mind Mirror strikes me as a usefull pre-requisite though.

On the subject of becoming a Ranger, far from being difficult to join up, from my experience, the right sort of character is going to find it almost impossible to avoid being sucked into the Anla'Shok.

I think the difficulty in joining the rangers would have a lot to do with when and where you were. The rangers of the early seasons would be near impossible to join. They operated in secret, revealing themselves to no one, secretly recruiting contacts and members while trying to avoid the notice of the Shadows.

By third season, the secrecy has been lifted somewhat. They have training camps on alien worlds, and the Shadows have become aware of them, so they are free then to operate a bit more in the open. People can know they exist, and they can recruit a bit more openly, but they still need to hide the organization's growth and that they are preparing for the Shadow's imminent return.

Once the White Star fleet is committed to the war and they have the first big battle against the Shadows, they can start putting up posters and opening recruiting offices. this is even more true after the formation of the ISA, when the rangers become the de facto military of the Alliance.

PottsBr said:
this is even more true after the formation of the ISA, when the rangers become the de facto military of the Alliance.
I'd rather describe them as spec ops or intelligence agency. Of course they're also plain soldiers... In fact they're hard to describe as they are so polyvalent.

I am looking forward to widening out of the Ranger class.

With the Ranger becoming a "specail" agent for various races, serving a commen goal. Prior to the Shadow war I have always seen them as a rather specailist elite Minbari (usualy religous class, but not exculsively). 1st of all they are widened to include humans as they share souls. During the war this is widdened to include other races, probably (hopefully) causing characters to struggle between serving their own races goals and those of the Rangers.

I am currently playing a Narn agent in the 1st season, my goals are currently to aid the Narn in anyway I can, seeking new/old tecnology and knowledge to aid my people. However I am starting to work for G'Kar and it seems likely that I will be involved in his change of heart, and expect that I will also join his greater fight against the shadows and for the soul of the Narn.

When talking outside the games my character could well become a Ranger candidate assuming that I can see beyond my "Narncentric" view point, I could see this becoming a great but rewarding struggle for my character.

That sounds really interesting, Cordas. It's exactly the kind of game I'm aiming at with my group. The atmosphere and character development you propose are very "B5ish".

Back