Ramming an Ancient

Reaverman

Mongoose
Since Ancients are excempt from criticals, how is the damage worked out against an ancient?

is it Half the original Hull hits of the Ramming Vessel+1D6 Crits (Where the each crit point is worked out as 1D6+6 Damage points)?

So a Ka'Toc Rams a Vorlon Transport, and inflicts 10 damage points plus he rolls 1D6, getting a 3. The Narn Player would therefore roll 10d6 (initial ramming damage)+ (3d6+18)(3 Crits). To me, this seems logical, since the critical effect, would translate to the Ancient Damage table.

Remeber, this is Rulesmasters, not the open discusion forum!

I think you mean the 3 crits translate to 18 plus 3d6, as a crit deals 6+d6 damage.

Or your smilie is hiding an 8 right there...

Voronesh said:
I think you mean the 3 crits translate to 18 plus 3d6, as a crit deals 6+d6 damage.

Or your smilie is hiding an 8 right there...

Yes it is....Darn HTML!

I erred on the Damage, it should be 10+ 3d6+18.....not as previously stated :wink:

At my table, if someone were lucky enough to survive and Ram a Vorlon or Shadow (remember - Ancients are now a different classification for the First Ones) ship...I'd run it that way. Seems logical to me.

Bry

Is that because the crits are automatic, or because the ram isn't a weapon (the rule says the only weapons that can crit against Shadows/Vorlons are precise)? If it's because the Ram isn't a weapon, what about Asteroid collision and JP Bombs?

Wulf

Both, it's neither a weapona dn the crits are automatic.

As for asteroid damage, the rules say the attack qualifies as Super AP, Triple Damage. No Precisse so no crits.

Similar for JP bombs, attack is Triple Damage, again no precise so no crits.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
As for asteroid damage, the rules say the attack qualifies as Super AP, Triple Damage. No Precisse so no crits.

Similar for JP bombs, attack is Triple Damage, again no precise so no crits.
Ramming isn't Precise either, so that's no reason at all. Asteroids weigh more than most if not all ships, so that's no argument either.

Wulf

katadder said:
but an asteroid doesnt cause automatic crits, ramming does.
That's sort of my point. I can't see how being rammed by a Sunhawk (for instance) is more damaging than bouncing off a mountain in space...

Wulf

well to ram something you have to pass all sorts of tests so its not easy to do. then theres the fact a ramming ship will be trying to hit you full on, unless you mad you not driving full into an asteroid, asteroid collisionsare accidental so prob more glancing blows as they try to stear round it. and lastly asteroids dont tend to be explosive. think of all the ammo, energy cells carried on a warship, then add in its engine. even exploding ships can be quite dangerous and thats not exploding after ramming into your innards past your armour like a ramming ship would be. think of missiles being precise, DD etc etc, now times the size of that by a thousand or more and thats a ship ramming you.

Good points katadder but the sheer kinetic energy if nothing else of an asteroid hitting a ship is more than significant.

But to respond to Wulf, it's like that because that's what the rules are.

As MAtt would say "Play the rules as written"

However in fluff it can reaosnably be assumed that you're going to be doing everything you can to avoid an asteroid, like Carmen's ship in SST movie.

The same can be said of the rammed ship, doing it's best to avoid the rammoing ship, but that's where the opposed CQ check comes in, in succeeding you have effectiovely outmanoeuvred them and so the ram is a successful one.

LBH

Well LBH has hit an important point.

Asteroids have a simple, very often linear, trajectory.
Ramming ships tend to do everything possible to hit you where it hurts.

Reaverman said:
Since Ancients are excempt from criticals, how is the damage worked out against an ancient?

is it Half the original Hull hits of the Ramming Vessel+1D6 Crits (Where the each crit point is worked out as 1D6+6 Damage points)?

OK, I have been working on my Armageddon standard shipviewer and from rereading the rules I noticed something.

The crit damage of 1d6+6 is for Vorlons and Shadows, not Ancients.

So if you ram a Vorlon or shadow you get the 3d6+18 worth of crit damage but against an Ancient you get no bonus. Sucks to go up against the ancients.

I really knew this distinction as I'm sure did most of you but I'm posting it anyway to clear it up for myself as much as anyone.

LBH

Yeah, but against Ancients you don't have d6 damage per hit on every hit. They are a step above Armageddon level for a reason!

lastbesthope said:
Reaverman said:

OK, I have been working on my Armageddon standard shipviewer and from rereading the rules I noticed something.

The crit damage of 1d6+6 is for Vorlons and Shadows, not Ancients.

So if you ram a Vorlon or shadow you get the 3d6+18 worth of crit damage but against an Ancient you get no bonus. Sucks to go up against the ancients.

I really knew this distinction as I'm sure did most of you but I'm posting it anyway to clear it up for myself as much as anyone.

LBH

Sorry,

I meant ramming Vorlons and Shadows. Sorry if I clouded the issue :oops:

Back