Questions on hull configurations

DivineWrath

Banded Mongoose
In the High Guard book, we are given pictures of many different kinds of hull configurations (see p. 11). Stats too. However, I'm having trouble making sense of some.

1. What is a close structure, and how is it different from a sphere?

2. Is there a better picture for streamlined ships? The shown doesn't look very aerodynamic.

You know what, maybe we'll be better off if all hull configurations are explained...

I like the Tee Five definition:

Cluster: An accumulation of compartments

Braced Cluster: A cluster structured to allow higher acceleration

A sphere is a football, though it could be a clamshell or a flying saucer.

Quite, I have always considered the Chrysantemum-class to be the poster boy for Close Structure; A number of different geometrical shapes closely integrated into a hull (HG, p151).

The USS Enterprise and other Star Trek ships are Close Structures as well.

One possible shape (there are others) is multiple hull shapes held together. So the Enterprise with the Saucer, Main Section and Engine Pods could be considered a Close Structure.

The Star Wars Destroyers are a Wedge design, not a Close Structure as it is all one shape - the upper conning area MIGHT make it a Close Structure if it is big enough, but for most, it is not that big relative to the main hull.

AnotherDilbert said:
Quite, I have always considered the Chrysantemum-class to be the poster boy for Close Structure; A number of different geometrical shapes closely integrated into a hull (HG, p151).

Good to know. Unfortunately, it does not tell me how or why it's a close structure. I can't explain what a close structure is without using a picture.

DivineWrath said:
AnotherDilbert said:
... Close Structure; A number of different geometrical shapes closely integrated into a hull...
Unfortunately, it does not tell me how or why it's a close structure.
Sorry, I tried to give the definition I use, based on illustrations rather than rules-text.

I can rephrase that to "Close Structure: A number of sub-hulls (potentially of different geometrical shapes) closely integrated into a hull" if it makes it clearer.

Galactica.jpg

Back