Questions on Candle Lanterns/Lamps

decker423

Mongoose
I know the range of illumination for candles and the core book states that a candle lamp/lantern keeps the candle from blowing out. Lamps and lanterns can be of various sizes. I can easily see a candle lantern holding 1 to 4 candles.

My questions:

1. Would the range of illumination for a candle lamp/lantern (1 candle) be the same for that of a hand-held candle?

2. Would the range of illumination for a candle lamp/lantern with more than 1 candle be increased or would the level of illumination rise over the threshold of "shadowy" illumination?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm a bit surprised that you haven't had any answers to these questions, so

A candle, or two, ain't very bright, the light is flickery and unreliable, especially when hand-held and not resting on a secure platform. Bodies of the p.C.s block the light and cast long large shadows.

In a lantern candles aren't much better, the heat can cause wax to melt (max three candles), the body of the lantern will cast shadows and limit the area lit.

If the character holding the candle enters melee, then I would suggest the candles would most likely be extinguished.

So I don't think there's much difference between one or two candles, a lantern will be more reliable. The level of illumination would remain the same.

From the acceptable alfresco lantern to the some of the added abreast designs of candle lantern, lamps and solar garden lights. Providing burden lanterns,gas lanterns,gas mantles,kerosene lamps,hurricane lanterns,kerosene lanterns,patio torches,LED lanterns,candle lanterns,white Flashlight z.

in the olden days of DND the DM always made our unprotected candles blow out within 30 seconds unless you were in a still-air environment (like a small room, so you had to basically get a torch. What a dick, huh.

I came up with my own house rules a couple of weeks ago. I ruled that you can buy a candle lamp that is large enough (and designed for) to hold up to 4 candles.

1 Candle: Standard 5 feet "shadowy" illumination. 1 candle burns for 1 hour (all per the book except a lamp prevents the candle from easily being blown out).
2 Candles: Same as 1 candle.
3 Candles: 10 feet of "shadowy" illumination (I reasoned that you need more than 2 to get an "extra" effect).
4 Candles: 10 feet of illumination, the 1st 5 feet is "bright", the 2nd set of 5 feet is "shadowy".

Back