Question about the rulebook.

Mage

Mongoose
I am to understand there is a rulebook.
I am also to understand there are rules foe ach unit in a boxed set.

Am I also to understnad that army lists will be present in the rulebook, and in further 'additions', such as in warmachine?

Mage said:
Am I also to understnad that army lists will be present in the rulebook, and in further 'additions', such as in warmachine?

Pretty much, though they might not be in the typical format that you are thinking of.

In the unit boxes you will get the unit's card, detailing all the information about the unit you just bought, along with the basic rules. The main rulebook has lots of additional rules plus organisation lists for the four armies, with some nation-specific rules such as Civilian Troops for the MEA, which I'm using quite a bit currently in the Studio campaign.

Mongoose Old Bear said:
...with some nation-specific rules such as Civilian Troops for the MEA, which I'm using quite a bit currently in the Studio campaign.

This would be the PC description for the "rioting mobs" that Matt mentioned? :D

dyssnowman said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:
...with some nation-specific rules such as Civilian Troops for the MEA, which I'm using quite a bit currently in the Studio campaign.

This would be the PC description for the "rioting mobs" that Matt mentioned? :D

No it's different to that. It's a modification optiion rather than a stand alone troop type.

I for one like the idea of getting basic rules and the like along with the unit.

But I'll probably get the rulebook as well 8)

You'll soon have abbreviated rules sets littering your house if you get one in every unit box.

Perhaps a "starter" box with the rules and a selection of troops would be good, and leave the rules out of specific unit boxes.

Lord David the Denied said:
You'll soon have abbreviated rules sets littering your house if you get one in every unit box.

Perhaps a "starter" box with the rules and a selection of troops would be good, and leave the rules out of specific unit boxes.

Or a simpler option would be to throw the excess sheets out or give them away to others in your gaming group….. :D

The question there would be which boxes to leave it out of - everything is effectively standalone so people can go buy whichever box they want as their first unit to play the game with.

I guess what you could do is to put no rules sheets in any boxes, and just put them in a dispenser on the shelf for customers to help themselves, though...

Personally I like the concept of an abbreviated rule set in each box set.

I have always had a problem getting such rule sets back in good condition when I "loan" them to players not possessing them. For this reason I personally do not see it as a problem. It is only one sheet of paper.

It has never been a problem with Warmachine.

If worst comes to worst bundle them together and sell them to a recycling center by the metric ton.

Forty units would be forty pieces of paper! Come on I buy my paper by the case. that is 5,000 sheets of paper.

This whole issue seems to be a pointless quibble to me. :p :p :p :p :p

CCG players, Clix players, Pirates players all have rulebooks & expansion rules cards by the dozen. Every booster of Pirates comes with a miniscule little dice - my mates have thousands of those,

Lord David the Denied said:
Do we want to be lumped in with that sort of game?

If it drags people off of those games and into BF Evo, then... yes. If we know it isn't a CMG or a clix game because it's got a nice hefty rulebook and no random miniatures assortment, but they think it is because they buy it and play it out of the box, then more people buy it and that's better for all of us.

More players = more game support. I don't mind who else is buying it or for what reasons, as long as there's lots of new units coming out and places to play it - and that means attracting more players. Plastic miniature runs cost a lot of money to set up, so the game needs to appeal to a wider audience. I see one of the big selling points of BF Evo as being the fact that it can compete against both wargames and the "Clix" games by effectively being two games (the in-box rules and the full rulebook versions) with a shared set of miniatures.

I like a nice spiral bound main rulebook with laminated reference sheets for armies or special rules. the spiral binding lays flat and pages dont get dorked up :shock:

Back