published adventures

A

Anonymous

I am new to conan and OGL d20, will there be an adventure for beginners to conan and d20, because to me the system is very rules heavy and trying to create the flavour while remembering the rules will be easier with a published scenario with helpful reminders on when and what rules to use etc. I ask because I see no mention of them on Mongooses scheduled releases.

Also how quick is the combat system it looks very long winded and over complicated, of course I have yet to play so this only based on a couple of read throughs. I have played ad&d 2nd ed. but the system seemed to encourage more rules and less role-playing.

d said:
I am new to conan and OGL d20, will there be an adventure for beginners to conan and d20, because to me the system is very rules heavy and trying to create the flavour while remembering the rules will be easier with a published scenario with helpful reminders on when and what rules to use etc. I ask because I see no mention of them on Mongooses scheduled releases.

Also how quick is the combat system it looks very long winded and over complicated, of course I have yet to play so this only based on a couple of read throughs. I have played ad&d 2nd ed. but the system seemed to encourage more rules and less role-playing.

Having not yet played a session myself yet, But having a great deal of experience in D&D 3.0 & 3.5 & AD&D 2ed. I can see this system as perhaps being slightly quicker than any of these others. I also don't see any reason why Conan would be any less Role-Playing friendly than any other flavor of D20/OGL Product. Infact I think that some of the new combat mechanics and manuvers will lead to my players being more descriptive and inventive with their combat moves.

Midnight

To be honest ,after running a few sessions, I found it actually runs quicker. Mainly due to the lack of magic in my games thus far. Once all of your players understand the COmbat formulas for different things it goes quick , I posted a Combat helper on another post that may help. I actually Roll D20 instaed of the straight 10 + modifiers for defense and it still works quick, with alot of involvement and unanticipated outcomes.

Tom

Some people enjoy complex systems that detail what occurs with micromanaging rules, others basic resolution systems that leave the detail to their imaginations. I'm of the latter, and I must say that finding 30 pages of dedicated combat rules is tiresome to me, and I'd rather use a ruleset such as HeroQuest.

Planned for around September is Across the Thunder River, a campaign/adventure book set in the Pictish wilderness.

I have the savage worlds rules and I might convert the setting adding little extras for the characters to reflect their background. The thing is I like the detail that the players get when advancing in the conan rpg, plus the sorcery section is very good. I guess i will have to test the system first to see if it is worth the extra hassle. If it doesnt work out I will try and add the flavor to savage worlds.
Any advice on running my first conan rpg session.

Back