Problem with BAB in Excel character spreadsheet

I've just done up the captain of the Free Company my players will be part of using v. 1.3 of the Excel character generation spreadsheet and it's giving me some funky numbers for Base Attack Bonus.

General Gerasimos Alyamas is a Soldier 7, Noble 3, Scholar 1, Nomad 1.

By my calculations, he should have a BAB of +10/+2.

According to the spreadsheet, his BAB is +3.

That's whacked. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, can't help you with the Excel stuff.

I noticed that you seem to be calculating BAB incorrectly, though (unless the BAB +10/+2 you wrote was a typo, in that case, ignore the following).
The extra attacks you get at BAB +6, +11 and +16 are always derived from your total BAB, not from individual classes. So when calculating BAB for a multiclass character, just add the highest attack number for all classes, and then add extra attacks at -5, -10 and -15.

Maybe that sounded confusing... For your General Gerasimos Alyamas it would go like this:

Soldier 7 BAB +7/+2
Noble 3 BAB +2
Scholar 1 BAB +0
Nomad 1 BAB +1

This totals up to a highest attack BAB of +10 (just as you said). BAB +10 gets an extra attack at -5, for a total BAB of +10/+5.
If the General were to raise his BAB to +11 (from for example becoming Nomad level 2), he would then get a third attack at -10, for a total BAB of +11/+6/+1.

Actually, I looked but couldn't find anything that explains this in the rulebook, but this is the way it works in D&D and all other d20 games, and I'm very certain its like this in Conan as well.

Hope that clears it up, and good luck with your game tonight! :)

Thanks, Trodax. Obviously I'm whacked too. :)

I suppose I'll just do up his info by hand and drop an email to the guy who did the Excel sheet.

Hi there

Just to let you know that I fixed that bug in the spreadsheet and uploaded a new version 1_4. It wasn't reading data correctly from the last three classes in the list - which in alphabetical order was the scholar, soldier and thief. Explains why your multiclassed character was so out of whack.

Anyway fixed now - any more bugs just let me know!

Cheers

Ian

Thanks a lot! This spreadsheet makes setting up a character MUCH easier on both myself and my players.

Any chance you might do a character sheet page that would be set up for standard US 8.5 x 11 inch paper? I don't have the know-how to do it myself, and I don't have any a4 paper (though I suppose I could print on a 8.5 x 14 in landscape mode).

strategoi_nikolai said:
Thanks a lot! This spreadsheet makes setting up a character MUCH easier on both myself and my players.

Any chance you might do a character sheet page that would be set up for standard US 8.5 x 11 inch paper? I don't have the know-how to do it myself, and I don't have any a4 paper (though I suppose I could print on a 8.5 x 14 in landscape mode).
Thanks very much ryhopewood, for constantly working on these. I don't have any experience working with macros in excel, so this sheet amazes me.

I don't know if you tried this strategoi_nikolai, but did you click File/Page Setup, click on the *Sheet tab (last tab) then click *[Options]. Click the *Paper tab and set 'Size is' to *Letter? I doubt the program would override or disallow you to set it to regular letter size paper, although if it's preformatted to A4 margins, you may have to tweak the page margins or printsize %s a little. (They can also be done from File/Page Setup, by the way).

Hope this helps.

Back