Priesthood

Ralph

Mongoose
Assuming I am creating an 'honest' priest NPC, how does he get the Prerequisite Sorcery Styles he needs to become an ordained priest, when often spell teaching is listed as a benefit of proesthood, but not worship.

I appreciate that he could go off and secretly learn spells elsewhere, but I want a priest that is loyal to the temple and devoting all his time to its cause.

Also, is it correct that Set worshipers cannot become priests at 4th level, because of the tortured sacrifice feat. Both that feat and priesthood can be taken at 4th level, but not both.

What have I missed?
Ralph

I think the lay priest background represents some one being trained to become a priest by a temple or church. As for the other question I would imagine that it's true but I don't have my book on me to make sure.

foxworthy said:
I think the lay priest background represents some one being trained to become a priest by a temple or church.

I had always assumed the same, but Shadizar seems to imply that you don't get spells until you have the Priest feat.
Certainly the table listing likely spells known by priests starts at that level.

I think I'll play it that way.

Ralph said:
I had always assumed the same, but Shadizar seems to imply that you don't get spells until you have the Priest feat.
Certainly the table listing likely spells known by priests starts at that level.

I think I'll play it that way.

I think you can play it by ear. The first three levels of Scholar represent the NPC's time as a probationary member of the cult. Whether or not he is given training in sorcery is dependant on the cult. A cult of Ibis might let the noviate learn Counter Spells and Divination- after all those spells aren't the type that lure people to the dark side. The stronger stuff can wait until he's proved himself. Shamans of primitive culture are likely taught Nature Magic and one other sphere dependant on what their teacher knows and is willing to teach. After all, most shamans are overworked- using their students to handle the little stuff comes in handy and is part of the learnign experience. Control freaks like the Mitrans, the Zamora cults and temples of Set would likely deny a noviate any such training until initiation [or even later] forcing the would be priest to either find other ways of learning [such as bribery or theft] or just simply take the alternate feats and skill points.

Just my opinion. YMMV

Raven, shaman. 8)

Back