Play Instrument

atgxtg

Mongoose
Why is Play Intremument based off of CHA? I can see singing, but Play instreument? :?:

Shoudln't it be INT or DEX based? I've read the decription of CHA and can see how having a nice personality and good leadership qualities helps someone to play a lute.

Or is is that no one will tell you how bad you are, because they like you? :wink:

atgxtg said:
Why is Play Intremument based off of CHA? I can see singing, but Play instreument?

Dude, you GOTTA have the look. You can't just... pick up a psaltry and learn to play it. Oh, no, you gotta have the poses down, man.

Looking the part is as integral to making music as is playing the instrument.

Sheesh.

:)

:lol:

It's just I can see the case for DEX, INT, POW, or CON. Maybe, maybe STR. But SIZ or CHA?

BTW< Do you know what they call someone who hangs around musicians?

iamtim said:
atgxtg said:
Why is Play Intremument based off of CHA? I can see singing, but Play instreument?

Dude, you GOTTA have the look. You can't just... pick up a psaltry and learn to play it. Oh, no, you gotta have the poses down, man.

Looking the part is as integral to making music as is playing the instrument.

Sheesh.

:)

That is a post MTV view of Music. Before videos ugly people could be stars too. Mick Jagger is one ugly dude (heck the whole bandis pretty nasty looking). 20 years later and he'd never have had a chance against George Micheal.

Areosmith, Janice Joplin, the list goes on.

Nowadays you have to look like Dave Navarro to play guitar, true. But in the Second Age I bet Freddy Krueger could have made it (except the blade thingy's might have made for some trouble).

And GWAR? don't even get me started...

I'd say it is using charisma more to represent "expression of the inner music of one's soul". Anyone with the correct training can pick up an instrument and play music on it, but it takes that extra something to express yourself through the music you are playing.

It's being able to put "feeling" into it rather than just hitting the right note at the right time. Maybe CHA isn't the best option - I'd probably have used POW myself, but at least it has some kind of representation of personality rather than just plain skill at putting your finger on the right string/hole when you are supposed to.

Rurik said:
But in the Second Age I bet Freddy Krueger could have made it

If anything ever spoke directly to the influence of Chaos in Glorantha, it would be Freddy Krueger sitting in the corner of some Orlanthi tavern, hammering away on a dulcimer.

mthomason said:
I'd say it is using charisma more to represent "expression of the inner music of one's soul". Anyone with the correct training can pick up an instrument and play music on it, but it takes that extra something to express yourself through the music you are playing.

It's being able to put "feeling" into it rather than just hitting the right note at the right time. Maybe CHA isn't the best option - I'd probably have used POW myself, but at least it has some kind of representation of personality rather than just plain skill at putting your finger on the right string/hole when you are supposed to.

I would think you are describing more of a Compose skill, which is seperate from playing an instrument. I could see CHA for that. But too me Play Instrument would cover the mechanics. There are very talented players who never perform original works (such as professional studio musicians). I would think that is more DEX based, though I could see INT.

Tuba of course is an exception, STR and CON all the way.

iamtim said:
Rurik said:
But in the Second Age I bet Freddy Krueger could have made it

If anything ever spoke directly to the influence of Chaos in Glorantha, it would be Freddy Krueger sitting in the corner of some Orlanthi tavern, hammering away on a dulcimer.

"Damn! There goes another string!"

mthomason said:

Okay that is the best arument for it I have heard. I consider that a better arrgument for POW, though.

Rurik said:
I would think you are describing more of a Compose skill, which is seperate from playing an instrument. I could see CHA for that. But too me Play Instrument would cover the mechanics. There are very talented players who never perform original works (such as professional studio musicians). I would think that is more DEX based, though I could see INT.

If it were a modern setting I'd agree with you, but surely RQ musicians are more likely to be playing off the top of their heads than set pieces?

Even then, there's an argument by some that two people can play from sheet music absolutely note-perfect, with one putting far more "feeling" into the performance than the other.

Just another case of "change it to whatever you feel is more appropriate" I think, especially as it tends to be very much based around your personal feelings of what "music" is - obviously the author believes CHA, I'll be changing it to POW, and others it seems prefer DEX.

mthomason said:
Just another case of "change it to whatever you feel is more appropriate" I think, especially as it tends to be very much based around your personal feelings of what "music" is - obviously the author believes CHA, I'll be changing it to POW, and others it seems prefer DEX.

Or they coulda been like "We have to make CHA good for something!". :wink:

DEX is already the uber-stat in MRQ. Why should those stat-swappers also be the best musicians too?

High DEX bastards: best fighters, best musicians, how would a guy with a high CHA get any girls at all?

It is curious though, I can think of a game that uses CHA as the base, but it isn't a RQ/BRP variant. Where CHA is the primary ability. :wink:

Right, I understand you're applying to be an adventurer.

<Applicant> Yup.

Okay, what abilities do you bring to the table? Why should we let you in the party.

<Applicant> Well. Um. I can sing.

Oh yeah thats gonna be *real* useful when we've got Broo breathing down our necks.

<Applicant> I ought to be pretty good at disguising myself.

That's not gonna help. You could disguise yourself as a rock and you'll still have fifteen Broo trying to kill you or mate with you. Or both. At once.

<Applicant> Erm. I pluck a pretty mean lute...

NEXT!

Speaking as a guitarist I've got to go with POW although the RQ3 method of combining Int and Dex (and a little bit of Str) was pretty good.

I like the Unisystem method where you add the appropriate stat based on what you're trying to do with the skill.

So.. ballads and love songs are based on Charisma.

Playing Steve Vai's solos are totally Dexterity.

Hendrix is sheer Pow.

Frank Zappa's stuff is possibly just sheer Int.

...and for drummers, yes, those guys who hang around with musicians axgtxg, I would go with full on Con!

Am I helping?

Actually, the official CoC rule for Zappa is I beleive that your instrument skill cannot exceed 100 minus Current SAN.

mthomason said:
Right, I understand you're applying to be an adventurer.

<Applicant> Yup.

Okay, what abilities do you bring to the table? Why should we let you in the party.

<Applicant> Well. Um. I can sing.

Oh yeah thats gonna be *real* useful when we've got Broo breathing down our necks.

<Applicant> I ought to be pretty good at disguising myself.

That's not gonna help. You could disguise yourself as a rock and you'll still have fifteen Broo trying to kill you or mate with you. Or both. At once.

<Applicant> Erm. I pluck a pretty mean lute...

NEXT!

Two days later, the adventuers are captured by the fericous Broo. THe bound captives can only watch in horror as the Broo prepare to adminster tortures best left undescribed. Then an argument breaks out and one of the fiece beast-men drives his spear point into the heart of another. Immedially all the preparations stopp and a argument breaks out. After a good deal of screaming ad guesturing, the Broos leader steps approaches the prisoners with a drawn dagger.

"Uh, folks. We just had a falling out with amongst the band. Can any of you play a Lute?"

Suddenly a rock pipes up "Me! Me! and I can sing too!"

----------------------------Except from the History of the Brootals

This is starting to sound like the HeroQuest thread.

"I oppose the Broos 'Rape, Kill, Rape, Mutilate, Rape Again' with my 'Play Lute' ability"

"We were gonna halfta let you go. But I kinda like that rock with the wild chaotic features. It's got Charisma!"

----------Except deleted from History of the Brootals, Chapter 3, the Rock Years.

Back