Plastics for Victory at Sea!!

Yamamoto

Mongoose
With the proliferation of high end 28mm plastics which are being produced at present, would it not be cool for some one to produce some high quality plastic vessel's /fleets for WW2 Naval - Hell, ship plastics full stop!!

I am not knocking the excellent craftsman who produce many a fine metal miniature for us to steam around the table with, but just imagine having a sprue of hard plastic at hand to trim some flash off and attack with some styrene cement.... easy conversions ahoy!! :D

Yes, I know that the cost of masters & injection moulds aint cheap but my point is, that their are thousands of "dice rolling boat pushers" around the 7 seas to make this a market reality - surely?
Scale? well thats up for debait, much like this post, and my spelling :wink:

May I suggest you look into the War at Sea line of minis? They are 1/1800 scale prepainted plastic models. I am told they will work with VAS by others who play both and is what I plan to try.

I have seen many very nice modifications of the WAS models as well as scratchbuilds.

If you want to check some out there are many posted in the modeling section on the A&A ForuMINI:

http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/index.php

HTH,

No offence to W.A.S, but their ships are rather toylike.... I was leaning towards some nicely sculpted/ CAD multi part models in hard styrene.
I am not talking about having a kitset of 105 + parts, but a model with perhaps a hull, superstructure and weapons on the same sprue. Perhaps even sold as a starter "Fleet" set per nation with other sets of Capitial ships, Destroyers, Cruisers, Merchants so you could build your fleet as you go (you could even include on the sprues things like sinking hulls, near miss "splashes" etc as little bonus terrain pieces to add to the visual aspect of the game. :) )
Fleet cards - log into the VAS site , enter your code included with the product - PDF ready to down load.
Some one who has done the pre painted miniature thing very well is Wings of War with their WW1 air to air combat game. You can buy the base game & then really nice, pre painted Miniatures as you wish. Each aircraft comes with its own set of stat cards.

I misunderstood...I thought you were looking for something that actually existed.

Some of the WAS models do need some work, but for the price and durability I am not aware of anyhting better without extensive time in assemby and painting involved.

You are correct about the WoW models...I cannot wait to see what they do with WWII.

Quote:You are correct about the WoW models...I cannot wait to see what they do with WWII.[/quote]

Are they going to do a WW2 range for Dawn of War? Very cool!! I have bought this game on the strength of the WoW game :) , but have not played it as yet..... :(

Yamamoto said:
Very nice....just imagine if VAS put out some ships :wink: :wink: hint hint

I think the miniatures, prepainted and otherwise, have been tried and found wanting at this point (Starship Troopers, Battlefield Evolution, Babylon 5), especially when there are alternatives. Mongoose needs to focus on where it is successful--rules, data sets, etc.

wkehrman said:
Yamamoto said:
Very nice....just imagine if VAS put out some ships :wink: :wink: hint hint

I think the miniatures, prepainted and otherwise, have been tried and found wanting at this point (Starship Troopers, Battlefield Evolution, Babylon 5), especially when there are alternatives. Mongoose needs to focus on where it is successful--rules, data sets, etc.

So say we all! 8) :wink:
Honestly - I can't agree more. Maybe later we will see minis again from Mongoose (I would welcome it) but not yet, or?

Especially in historical games where there are already a dozen or so manufacturers. Any new line will invariably face scrutiny from the legions of historical gamers out there. The WaS line of prepaints faces a bit of a problem in that they chose their own scale rather than trying to fit into an existing scale. So many people have 1/2400 to 1/3000 scale ships already that the WaS 1/1800 scale look out of place on the same table. I'm not going to spend money on a new fleet when I have a perfectly good, and common, fleet in my collection already.

The smart thing to do in this case is to survey the existing lines of miniatures and make sure that there are stats for all of them. Nothing is quite so obnoxious in a historical game than to own a mini for which nobody has compiled stats!

wkehrman said:
The WaS line of prepaints faces a bit of a problem in that they chose their own scale rather than trying to fit into an existing scale. So many people have 1/2400 to 1/3000 scale ships already that the WaS 1/1800 scale look out of place on the same table. I'm not going to spend money on a new fleet when I have a perfectly good, and common, fleet in my collection already.

I believe WoTC did this intentionally as they do not intend to compete with existing lines or in many cases attract already existing historical gamers. By going with a unique scale they have successfully secured their nitch with new gamers. Their game system is easy enough to replicate the cards in the computer age, but new gamers cannot easily aquire models they have not produced yet increasing their future sales and current sales for sister ships and modelers who like modify and repaint WoTC models.

Well if enough people want it, it will be made...

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/league_ww2

When they get enough interest in any of the proposed sets (1000) they will be made, their plastics look reasonable and their just doing some 6mm stuff so detail would not be a problem i think>

Worth a vote or suggestion?

Back