Pike

Clovenhoof said:
I don't know if you have other spear-related houserules in your game, so maybe you could allow him to wield any spear one-handed. And for the regular spear, maybe allow him to attack both adjacent squares and 10' reach.

well we made a battle spear (martial weapon d10 dmg)

doesnt threatening both adjacent a one square away is broken?!?

It's not the end of the world. Anyway, for this use (5' and 10') it should be required to wield it two-handed (i.e. you need to change your grip often).
The Staff lets you do the same, and 2d4 damage isn't that much weaker than d10, and that's even a Simple Weapon.

Slightly off of the topic. The war spear is considered a reach weapon. This means that it can not be used against the next square. Or am I wrong? And if I'm right, why can't a person turn into a staff and just beat the person next to him with the spear? Been thinking about this for awile, but it's 4 AM and I'm at work so weird thoughts come. :lol:

Yeah, you're not the first person to have these thoughts. Actually, the "Reach Only" rule is there purely for game balance reasons.

why can't a person turn into a staff and just beat the person next to him with the spear?

A 12' spear should be capable of being wielded one handed and having 10' reach (but be useless at 5'), the Greeks managed fine. As to using it as a staff at 5', bear in mind that it's twice as long as a typical staff - and thinner with a tapering cross-section. Not a vey handy staff at all. You could maybe use it to imprompu pole-vault over your opponent... or maybe not.

A 6' (maybe even an 8') spear could certainly be used as a makeshift quarterstaff - but it'd still suffer from being relatively flimsy.

Demetrio said:
why can't a person turn into a staff and just beat the person next to him with the spear?

A 12' spear should be capable of being wielded one handed and having 10' reach (but be useless at 5'), the Greeks managed fine. As to using it as a staff at 5', bear in mind that it's twice as long as a typical staff - and thinner with a tapering cross-section. Not a vey handy staff at all. You could maybe use it to imprompu pole-vault over your opponent... or maybe not.

A 6' (maybe even an 8') spear could certainly be used as a makeshift quarterstaff - but it'd still suffer from being relatively flimsy.

Based on your comments, while it'd make a bad quarterstaff, it'd make a good bo staff.

Only a 6' spear though. A 12' spear is just too unwieldy due to its excessive length. Also a jo, like a quarterstaff does not generally taper, unlike, say, the Greek hoplite spear (though not all spears did taper in such a manner to be fair).

Staves, including oriental ones, tended to be at least 25% thicker in diameter than a spear of equivalent length. This does not mean a 6' spear could not be used like a staff in combat, but it would necessarily be more fragile and do less damage (on the whole, there would be the odd exception given the natural variation of these weapons).

Edit: for clarity, as it strikes me we may be slightly at cross purposes, I'm aware some staves, including some (though a minority) of oriental ones do taper, they do so at both ends and are still generally thicker than an equivalent spear. The spear tends to taper at the 'working' end only and will start to do so from a fair way back down the shaft - to allow the balance point to be further back, improving reach (and the whole point, excuse the pun, of a spear is to have decent reach), especially for the longer spears. Making a good spear shaft required some craftsmanship.

Back