Paranoia in other settings

Clangador

Mongoose
Has anyone used the Paranoia rules for a setting other than the Alpha Complex? I once ran a game called The MaZe and the PCs has clone backups like Paranoia. I ran the game under D20 Modern, GURPS and then FUDGE. I like the rules-lite approach of Paranoia, plus it has a lot of support.
 
A few friends of mine put together a Indiana Jones/Helboy style Nazi Zombie hunting romp using the Paranoia rules. The clone backups were the result of a supernatural enchantment. A bit like Sean Connery in LXG. This was slightly more amusing as after a wait of about 5 minutes the character sprung back to life without a scratch!

I've been thinking about using them for Doctor Who for obvious reasons!
 

Mark Dunder

Mongoose
I like the rules-lite approach of Paranoia, plus it has a lot of support.

For me the rules are lite, for my players (the kids), it's heavy man. Everytime they turn around, it's like squash! Hello, My-B-RAT-4!
 
Depends on play style. I could run a Zap game with a bunch of 5 year olds (they have more than enough sadism) however straight with the thousands of treason codes is on the edge of baffling!
 

Clangador

Mongoose
darth_azabrush said:
Depends on play style. I could run a Zap game with a bunch of 5 year olds (they have more than enough sadism) however straight with the thousands of treason codes is on the edge of baffling!

I doubt I'd ever run a zap game. It's straight with a little classic mixed in.

I'd actually like a little more rules in the game. It's almost too rules-lite for me.
 
There's one secret society which I think should have been in Paranoia from the start. The Individualists: The anti secret society secret society!
 

Clangador

Mongoose
darth_azabrush said:
There's one secret society which I think should have been in Paranoia from the start. The Individualists: The anti secret society secret society!

And how do you know its not?
 
Please feel free to steal the idea. Its quite fun watching your player's faces when you explain they're in the anti secret society secret society!
 

Clangador

Mongoose
darth_azabrush said:
Please feel free to steal the idea. Its quite fun watching your player's faces when you explain they're in the anti secret society secret society!

That would be rather funny, and I'm known for doing funny stuff.
 

Mark Dunder

Mongoose
Got late to this thread, but I love that Anti-Secret Society Secret Society!
Some people are just briliant, like all Parania players!

I can just imagine the dialogue:

"I just hate Secret Society's." BrilC-R-EAM says
"Yeah, me too," replies Hai-R-DOO.
ZAP! ZAP! ZAP!

Love it, just love it!
 

MarkIV

Mongoose
Hmmm... the Individualists

Citizens who have loosely banded together to form society of non-conformity. Needless to say the non-conformists are split into two types -- the true non-conformists who constantly push the envelope of what is considered treasonous, and the more judgmental Neo-non-conformists who use their individuality like a sledgehammer. Just think of the most outrageous, self-righteous fashion/game/magazine designer who squashes everyone around them who doesn't absolutely kowtow to their vision. This later group is led by the seemingly humble Herb-I-EEE-4 whose motto is... "Let's be individuals... together." (Yes, I am stealing from Rudolph).

This should provide for plenty of roleplaying as the two groups collide in their vision for future. Card carrying dues paying Individualist members vs free spirits. Perhaps the only thing they are most individual about is the creative ways they off each other in their struggle for supremacy.
 

Techno-Guru

Mongoose
Clangador said:
Has anyone used the Paranoia rules for a setting other than the Alpha Complex? I once ran a game called The MaZe and the PCs has clone backups like Paranoia. I ran the game under D20 Modern, GURPS and then FUDGE. I like the rules-lite approach of Paranoia, plus it has a lot of support.
I was thinking of running a game based on the Paranoia system, but a world of my own creation that only vaguely resembles the Alpha Complex (I throw out The Computer and the anti-team player aspects, yes the really fun bits) in that it's an enormous underground world (like Exile: Escape from the Pit or Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) and going Topside is a Very Bad Idea. I have to work on the rest of the details (I'd like the service departments and secret societies of Paranoia to make a believable appearence somehow) and probably will have to save that idea for later.
 
MarkIV said:
Hmmm... the Individualists

Citizens who have loosely banded together to form society of non-conformity. Needless to say the non-conformists are split into two types -- the true non-conformists who constantly push the envelope of what is considered treasonous, and the more judgmental Neo-non-conformists who use their individuality like a sledgehammer. Just think of the most outrageous, self-righteous fashion/game/magazine designer who squashes everyone around them who doesn't absolutely kowtow to their vision. This later group is led by the seemingly humble Herb-I-EEE-4 whose motto is... "Let's be individuals... together." (Yes, I am stealing from Rudolph).

This should provide for plenty of roleplaying as the two groups collide in their vision for future. Card carrying dues paying Individualist members vs free spirits. Perhaps the only thing they are most individual about is the creative ways they off each other in their struggle for supremacy.

Individualists as I see them can't really get through a meeting without shooting someone for calling them a secret society. Their recognition signal is sticking their fingers up at a superior officer simaltaneously!
 

Mark Dunder

Mongoose
You might be able to play Stargate One with these rules. Substitute the Computer for the General, have Sarcophaguses to resurrect the players, have them find lots of alien weapons, and have all the different Service Groups represented by our Government. Mutants would have to be the aliens, or secret mutants like Jafar(spelling?) It could work!
 
Top