PARANOIA ebook novels and stories from Ultraviolet Books

Allen Varney

Mongoose
Attention, citizens! Your friend The Computer reports continued progress from its loyal servants at Ultraviolet Books, publisher of all-new official PARANOIA ebooks.

Licensed and approved by the PARANOIA owners, edited and laid out to professional standards, these never-before-published novels are written by Famous Game Designers long associated with the roleplaying game, with new covers by longtime PARANOIA artist Jim Holloway. And they’re even for your security clearance.

Four books are now available for purchase and immediate download on Amazon for the Kindle family; on Barnesandnoble.com in ePub format (for the Nook and other ereaders); and on DriveThruFiction in Kindle, ePub, and .PDF. The books have no DRM (Digital Restrictions Management), so you can transport them easily among all your readers.

• S1 Reality Optional by Gareth Hanrahan, designer of the 25th Anniversary rulebooks and writer of every PARANOIA RPG supplement published in the past several years. Conspiracy theorist Jerome-G, a worker in the Threat Obfuscation Department, creates fake dangers to cover up real ones. Now, somehow, his fictitious threats are turning real. Jerome-G finds a pair of experimental Augmented Reality goggles that reveal the truth behind everything -- and now he's more confused than ever.
  • T1 Stay Alert by Allen Varney, longtime PARANOIA writer and designer of the 2004 edition. Troubleshooter Fletcher-R leads Team Rotisserie-459 on a mission to return a stolen helpbot. The bot isn't annoying or repetitious at all, no siree (“You look like you’re about to shoot your teammate! Would you like help?”). Embroiled in a gang war for control of the bot, Fletcher hopes to complete his mission before his teammates find out he's a traitor.
  • Y1 Traitor Hangout by WJ MacGuffin (author of the PARANOIA RPG supplement Criminal Histories). Clarence-Y is a CPU "Yellowpants" efficiency auditor in charge of enforcing mandates -- and he knows them all. By owning a secret pet, the mutant lab mouse Ignatius, Clarence has already broken 22 mandates, and it's not even lunch. On assignment for Internal Security, Clarence must impersonate notorious criminal "Superstar Pirate" and infiltrate four secret societies in one day. Can he and Ignatius survive? Never mind that -- can they possibly avoid violating Mandate ISTM 440.95/a?
  • Promotional anthology A1 The Computer is Your Friend is designed to gently (well, more or less) orient new citizens of Alpha Complex. It features all-new stories by all three authors of the novels, as well as Extreme PARANOIA contributor Greg Ingber. (Currently exclusive on Amazon; ePub version due this summer.)

The Ultraviolet Books website tells more about the books and their authors, and it offers free sample chapters and news. Sign up for the FREE (and spam-free) mailing list, and follow UVBooks on Twitter and Facebook. And check our ad in the new Materials Treasonously Deleted!

I bought Reality Optional. I found myself skipping the last third of the book to find out how it all ended. It failed to hold my interest. I may try Stay Alert, because I find Allen Varney's humour and writing style more to my taste.

Back