Paranoia 2004 vs. Paranoia 2009

FASAfan

Mongoose
Guys,

I'm completely new to Paranoia (I guess that makes me below Infra-Red clearance!?). Give me some guidance:

Should I dive into the fertile ground of Paranoia 2004, with all the material that's available for it on Amazon, Ebay, etc., or should I join the computer's 25th birthday party (aka Paranoia 2009)?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Id try and pick up the 2004 edition first. Theres lots of stuff which wont be reprinted and the new version is (mostly) compatible with the old. Also, the new version can be a bit confusing in its multitude of rulebooks.

If you can, pick up the red border rulebook, Flashbacks 1 and maybe Mandatory Bonus, Book of Bots, or Criminal Histories all from the earlier edition, and go from there.

Thanks for the reply! I did my homework here and other places before I posted my querry. I love me some Mongoose, but this 25th Anniversary launch of Paranoia is a wee bit confusing for a newcomer like me. I think I'll go with Paranoia XP/2004.

Best,

Citizen Lame :D

FASAfan said:
Thanks for the reply! I did my homework here and other places before I posted my querry. I love me some Mongoose, but this 25th Anniversary launch of Paranoia is a wee bit confusing for a newcomer like me. I think I'll go with Paranoia XP/2004.

Overall that's a better choice, I think, but the best package deal to start with is probably the Black Missions Limited Edition, since the included CD contains PDF versions of almost all the XP supplements. Of course, if you are going to get hard copies in any case, then it makes little difference… =)

Get Troubleshooters: Black Missions, then get the PDF for XP and Flashbacks, as well as Thin Blue Line and High Programmers. Put them all on a new disc alongside the Black Missions one.

Ta-daaa.

Back