Paint question

bigtop305

Mongoose
Hi all since I have a few minis on the way (FINALLY) I have looked over the painting supplies I have and found that the majority of it is not suited to this particular hobby! so I need some new paint. well in reading this forum (and others on the subject) I felt that I had a decent grasp of the basics, and then I found some Floquil at the local hobby shop! oh wonderful wonderful floquil!
Anyway does anyone know if this is a good brand to use on the minis, and furthermore how would you prime a mini you were going to use it on? one more thing, is it alright to use enamel based colors for details like porthole lighting and missile bay highlights if you are painting the rest of the mini with acrylic? just wondering! and any insight into Floquil would be appreciated from someone with hands on experience, as their colors are superb and I would dearly like to use them (even on my resin based Nike :wink: ) IF they will cover correctly, thanks in advance!

It’s perfectly ok to use both oil based and water based paints on the same model I do it all the time. The only thing which wont work is trying to mix them wet which will produce a goopy mess.

However there should be no other problems but be aware that acrylic paint takes an hour or two to dry properly and the typical enamel paint six to twelve hours. Artists oils can take weeks even mixed with liquin and put on fairly thin. A paint will look dry long before it actually I find

Thanks for that! I think I am ready to get them models in here and get to painting, if they would only arrive already!!

Any ideas on the Floquil? I will get to the hobby shop I bought it at later on this week and ask them, I know they should know, they have been in the same spot for 32 years!! but in case anyone knew something here I wanted to get a head start. Thanks again!

Have not used Flowquil myself but they have been about years and as they are artists paints rather than modellers they are likely to have a good medium to pigment ratio and that the pigment should be nice and finely ground. I have not heard any one complain about them and they do have a good reputation.

I would recommend picking up a bottle of Tamiya thinners as well as its better for thinning acrylics than water. I would also advise you to use a proper metal primer on pewter figures as GW primer is just spray enamel and neither enamels nor acrylics stick all that well to pewter and rub off when handled during painting

you dont need to primer Plastics though a base coat of enamel paint will deal with any residual mould release oil

SUPER, thanks! now all I need is to get the models in here and get to painting, tamiya you say eh? ok I'll get some on the way ASAP, I did not see that brand at the hobby shop, and because I have traditionally only played CMG's with pre painted minis, I have no idea where these shops are in this great town I grew up in :oops: so I will get to it, thanks again!

I would also advise you to use a proper metal primer on pewter figures as GW primer is just spray enamel and neither enamels nor acrylics stick all that well to pewter and rub off when handled during painting

This always happens to me - any pointy bits/edges end up with metal showing as soon as I LOOK at the model let alone touch.

I was wondering if you can be a little more specific when you say a proper metal primer - do you mean a brush on one (I think Tamiya do one) or a spray on DIY primer? I have been thinking about trying the latter myself but get confused when I stare at the vast array in the local superstore!

Thanks for any help.

I use Humbrol Mat 1 which is Humbrol's bush metal primer and is a nice neutral light grey .However any paint designed as a metal primer will work though most of the primers about are red oxide it would seem and the colour of red oxide can be a bit difficult to cover with a base coat.

I am looking for a replacement for Humbrol at the moment because though it’s a first class paint, Airfix who own Humbrol it appears have gone belly up and taken Humbrol down with them so the supply might dry up. A great pity because I have used Humbrol paints for the last 30 years. Spray car primer should also work ok but I don’t mix well with spray paint so I don’t use them

I hope that helps.

Ta for the reply - I may well try the Humbrol though I also have my eye on a white "Special Metals Primer" in the DIY store that I may risk a few quid on.

I am looking for a replacement for Humbrol at the moment because though it’s a first class paint, Airfix who own Humbrol it appears have gone belly up and taken Humbrol down with them so the supply might dry up.

As for the future - I thought you might like to see this:

http://www.hornby.com/news-events/news-story-1,1,HNS.html

So you may be safe after all - Happy Xmas.

I have found that most spray primers work very well. I prresently use a sandable primer from a hardware store (Home Depot) made by Rust-O-Leum. It comes in grey, white, black, and red oxide. My problem is that unless I mount the figure to a stick, nail, or some other device then I wear the primer and paint from the model due to the handling of the model. So usually for ACTA models I mount the model on the stand and then primer. This way I don't have to hold the model. then when finished I use a dull clear coat. Hope this helps.

Back