Other Literary Campaign Worlds

I'd love to see the following literary works adapted to MRQ:

Robert Aspirin's Myth Adventures series

The Thraxas novels (by Martin Scott)

Karl Edward Wagner's World of Kane

And although Martin's Song of Ice and Fire has been released as an rpg, I think that setting more than any would adapt well to MRQ.

Nickbergquist said:
And although Martin's Song of Ice and Fire has been released as an rpg, I think that setting more than any would adapt well to MRQ.

Yah, I'd like to see that done MRQ too, I've held off buying the D20 game book because it is D20. The world is pretty damned fun though.

Personally, I'm hanging for Lhankmar.

I'd like to see a Ian Banks Culture novels done as an RPG world Absolutely no PC AI's!!

DD

HyrumOWC said:
AKAramis said:
Hyrum's points are why I want to see a Pern setting.

SNIP

Pern would make a great RPG. The only drawback would be balancing (if you even need to) Dragonriders with non-Dragonriders.

It's the same problem you have with Star Wars and players wanting to be Jedi. Although SW does have an in-game background of Jedi and non-Jedi adventuring together.

Hyrum.

Pern does, too. Check out Masterharper, Dolphins, Moreta and Nerilka's Story, plus White Dragon, the Dragon Singer, and Dragon Drums.

Not in the same ways, nor mixes, but a troupe style character pool could make Pern very much mixed group playable.

I know that this will be blasphemy for most of you, but i would like to see John Normans GOR novels as RQ sourcebooks.

Gor? Blasphemy? Hardly. Not something to admit to liking in a public forum, especially if you want to ever work with children or be elected to public office... But it does have a following.

Durand Durand said:
Nickbergquist said:

Yah, I'd like to see that done MRQ too, I've held off buying the D20 game book because it is D20. The world is pretty damned fun though.

Personally, I'm hanging for Lhankmar.

I'd like to see a Ian Banks Culture novels done as an RPG world Absolutely no PC AI's!!

DD

I agree with Song of Ice and Fire being a great choice for MRQ, the grittiness would be most appropriate. Haven't bought the D20 version and don't thing the tristat version interests me enough to buy either.
Lhankmar I think is a great place for an RPG and I'm looking forward to that one greatly.
The Dhampir books by Barb and J.C. Hendee would be a great RPG world, in fact it reads like an rpg scenario a lot of the time.

I'd like to have the Lone Wolf series brought to RQ, but seeing as it's got a D20 version (That I can't find anywhere. >.< ) I doubt that'll happen.

Some news that could have relevance to this thread:

"Guardians Of Order Announcement
My gods, I have no idea where to begin.
Yes ... effective more-or-less immediately, Guardians Of Order has ceased operations.

First, an apology. I am terribly sorry that George Martin broke the news about our situation. That is certainly not how I wanted the information to be released, and I had thought that my frank conversation with him about A Game of Thrones-specific issues was in confidence. This is the second time now that someone other than me releases very important news about Guardians Of Order, which leaves me frantically trying to patch the holes. The polite and proper thing for me -- as President of the company -- to do would be to contact all of our creditors (which includes some great freelancers and industry associates) FIRST and explain the situation to them. I was working on that process when my efforts were derailed by one simple website post. So I am very sorry that someone else took it upon himself to release this information. It's not how I was proceeding to handle things.

But yes, the end result is the same. GoO is no longer."

So, George RR Martin's novels need a new RPG home it would seem.

I've long thought of setting a campaign, or at least an adventure, in the world of Dan Simmon's Hyperion series.

I've even come up with an adventure idea. Until now, for lack of a better alternative, I was thinking of doing it in D20. I might still use D20, or Runequest. I'm not sure which.

I suppose I could always use Call of Cthulhu.

Fortunately, my plans do not involve the PC's taking on the Shrike.

(For those who have not read the books, the Shrike is some kind of robotic monstrosity from thousands of years in the future with capabilities far far beyond anything imagined in the year 3,000 C.E.)

Osentalka said:
I know that this will be blasphemy for most of you, but i would like to see John Normans GOR novels as RQ sourcebooks.

Funnily enough, I was about to suggest exactly that.

The early books were chock full of background material that gave you a picture of the hawk riders, for instance, and the cultures encountered.

The later books concentrated on the, shall we say, fruitier side of Gor. Which is a pity, in some ways :)

But, for a non-magical high-fantasy, well-described setting, Gor fits the bill.

And you get to bonk slave girls as well!

Um...Pseudo historical Solomon Kane Europe and africa would be cool.

I'd love to see say--Pellucidar and more specifically Barsoom.

Riverworld or the Lavalight world would work. Ancient Opar isn't a bad place either.

What I would love to see is a Middle Earth version with the detail and production level of the old ICE system without any hint of that stultifyingly bad game mechanic.

I'd love to see an early Pirate's based games world--something POTC or Captain Blood.

Imaro's psuedo-Africa would be a riot.

Rohan's Realms of Ice would be cool.

Any of Gemmells worlds would work very well I think. Shame about his passing really.

The Nightingale Floor world would be interesting.

Right now--my hybrid RQ 2/3 and Perrin 4 unreleased system is in a well developed world based upon Ancient Greece with corrolaries to SParta, athens, thebes, Minos, trome, persion and egypt--all anachronistic to keep the good parts.

The boys are having a good time with it.

I'm reading R Scott Bakker's "Prince of Nothing" trilogy at the moment, and although it's dealing with The Big Stuff, it strikes me that his world of Earwa would be almost tailor made for RQ.

Would love to see someone get ahold of S. M. Stirling's Dies the Fire / Protector's War / A Meeting at Corvallis... First one's still my fave, and the 3rd isn't out til tommorow, but dang...sweet, sweet Post Apoc mixed with Fantasy.

-k

The fantasitic world of "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel". I've always liked costume drama, and magic makes it a little cooler.

DD

Osentalka said:

Heh, funny you should mention this but I did run a RQ-Gor campaign about a decade ago. Tu-chuks and all. Still have my notes around here somewhere, all on paper unfortunately.

Back