Open Game License?

Archer

Mongoose
I´ve seen it mentioned that RuneQuest will use an Open Game Licence. Can someone tell me something about this?

I have been working on a fantasy setting on and off since '98, first to be used for the Stormbringer system, then for d20, and now I plan to use RQ (that is when and if I finally get it ready).

Thats why I wonder what the specific deal is. What can and can you not do?

Well it may vary from product to product, you'd either need to contact Mongoose or buy whichever book you wanted the info for.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Well it may vary from product to product, you'd either need to contact Mongoose or buy whichever book you wanted the info for.

LBH

Well, since I want to know about RuneQuest, that is yet not out, I am asking here.
If I am to publish something under their OGL, it is good to know what it entails, or else I can just as likely go back to work towards a WoTC d20 release.

lastbesthope said:
As I mentioned, you should contact Mongoose directly, contact details are on their main website.

LBH

Ah, thank you. Missed that part of your post earlier, my appologies.

Ok... other snippets from Continuum and OGL for MRQ... Excuse me if this is already online or emailled out - I didnt see Mr Sprange with a copy in hand when talking about it at the seminar...

Seems theres a list of 10 points, clearly defined saying what you can/cant release under OGL... Firstly you can use logo, secondly not call your product something Mongoose will use like RQ Companion...

Depressing for me but point 4 seemed to be OGL will NOT cover Gloranthan material 2nd age or otherwise. Suggestions to make up cults/cultures similar to Gloranthan ones and powers was the best they could suggest..

Unfortunately I missed the start about submitting work to Mongoose so can't answer if/what they will/wont accept Glorantha-wise as a submission... Especially as everything does indeed get vetted by Greg Stafford.

The OGL rules are actually not that strict at all and we're really excited about the opportunity to release RQ material.

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
The OGL rules are actually not that strict at all and we're really excited about the opportunity to release RQ material.
Yeap, and I think its a great thing, but as a Gloranthaphile, I'd just liked to have been able to contribute somehow.... Maybe a MRQ 2nd Age Glorantha Fanzine will appear...

Ravage said:
HyrumOWC said:
Yeap, and I think its a great thing, but as a Gloranthaphile, I'd just liked to have been able to contribute somehow.... Maybe a MRQ 2nd Age Glorantha Fanzine will appear...

I'm sure there will be Glorantha content in Signs and Portents, although a new version of Tales of the Reaching Moon would be awesome.

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
Ravage said:
HyrumOWC said:

I'm sure there will be Glorantha content in Signs and Portents, although a new version of Tales of the Reaching Moon would be awesome.

Hyrum.

What is this thing you call "Moon"?

I am assuming the reason the OGL does not apply to Glorantha is because Greg needs to OK all Gloranthan material.

Assuming that is so will there be a way to submit material or publish material set in Glorantha? If a publisher gets Greg's OK can they then produce Gloranthan MRQ material, or will they also have to get approval from Mongoose?

Rurik said:
I am assuming the reason the OGL does not apply to Glorantha is because Greg needs to OK all Gloranthan material.
yep, everything goes past the true rune lord of Glornatha... which is cool but might be a pain for Mongoose...

Assuming that is so will there be a way to submit material or publish material set in Glorantha? If a publisher gets Greg's OK can they then produce Gloranthan MRQ material, or will they also have to get approval from Mongoose?

Unfortunately I missed the first two sumission types at the weekends seminar "how to write for Mongoose" doh!
This info realyl should be online in a FAQ on their web site...

They *must* want submissions/Glornathan material tho. When questioned the future of Glorntha 2A was put to me as "if the first [gloranthan] products released up till x-mas sell then we'll continue support".

I have to say I nagged and asked about submitting Glorantha source material and was suggested to perhaps keep to scenarios and smaller ideals...

I can tell you at the continuum conventions Mr Sprange also told me 40% present (of 225) bought the rulebook and was pleased!

...So moral of the story - buy 2A Gloranthan supplements and it will continue! Quite rightly Mongoose agreed that only successful productlines are continued in a tough economic climate. Again, that makes sense...

So cummon Mongoose, regardless of game system, hows about a FAQ about submissions :!:

Ravage said:
Unfortunately I missed the first two sumission types at the weekends seminar "how to write for Mongoose" doh!
This info realyl should be online in a FAQ on their web site...

{snip)

So cummon Mongoose, regardless of game system, hows about a FAQ about submissions :!:

Contact addresses for Submissions are here:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/contact.php

And details of how to submiot articles to Mongoose are included in each issue of Signs & Portents, downloadable from here:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=13

LBH

cheers... Hadn't thought to look in Signs and portents yet :)

Thanks for the tip, read and digested sir!

What if someone were to want to publish a Gloranthan scenario/supplement for MRQ NOT through Mongoose. Would they need just Gregs' OK or both Greg AND Mongooses?

I am curious about this. Especially if the MRQ Gloranthan material does not sell well and they stop producing supplements.

Back