Online Dredd game?

Jonathan

Mongoose
Hey all-

Only recently joined the board, but I'm curious if anyone knows of any 'play by post/email' Dredd games that are worth a look? I picked up the main book, but it seems there's little interest in my area.

Also, and I'm sure to be throttled for this, but has anyone tried changing the background material about? I was considering setting up a kind of "Demolition Man" background, where the PCs are Judges after MegaCity becomes something of a utopia, only to be overrun by criminals at a later date. The Judges, having been previously 'put on ice' (cryosleep) are put back into action...

Welcome to the forum Jonathan. John Calliber is the only one I know of who has run PBeM Judge Dredd to date, but currently he is taking a break from that to write other material. I believe he is hoping to start another game up towards the end of the year. His website is: http://www.btinternet.com/~john.caliber/

Alternatively, if you, or anyone else has heard of City of Heroes, I have started running a supergroup (clan/guild) within the game on the Justice server. I gained permission from Rebellion to use both the naming (not including Judge Dredd himself of course) and the imitation uniform of the judges. I'm still building the site, but am growing in members. If you play the game already, or are interested in the best super hero game I've ever played, take a look at my website at http://www.dplkelly.com/judgedredd/

As for an alternative future... it's not really something I would do as a permanent thing. However, it sounds like a great campaign setting for when your players have gained a few levels. Have them somehow accidently get teleported to the future and have to deal with a major threat. Actually, there is a place in Mega-City One in the Halls of Justice, where criminals who are severely wounded are cryogenically frozen until a cure can be found so that they serve their full sentance. Perhaps you could turn the tables and have a well organized bunch of perps somehow manage to take over the Halls of Justice and place all the judges in the cryo chambers while they wake/heal their buddies.

It's a brave idea, and I'd love to hear what you do with it. Please be sure to return and keep us up to date.

Arabin

Arabin said:
Alternatively, if you, or anyone else has heard of City of Heroes, I have started running a supergroup (clan/guild) within the game on the Justice server. I gained permission from Rebellion to use both the naming (not including Judge Dredd himself of course) and the imitation uniform of the judges. I'm still building the site, but am growing in members. If you play the game already, or are interested in the best super hero game I've ever played, take a look at my website at http://www.dplkelly.com/judgedredd/

As for an alternative future... it's not really something I would do as a permanent thing.

City of Heroes... droooooool. That's the game that's prompting my technically-inept self to make a play at building my own PC! I don't even normally play MMORPGS... but I will now. ;)

I'll certainly look you up, when I get on (probably later this year, after my wedding in September); in the meantime, I'm living vicariously through my friends (playing on Freedom server, as it's local for us). I'd love to join up with a team... you're thinking of playing all Judges, eh?

As for the background, well, my gaming group really has only a vague notion of the whole Dredd continuity- so I doubt they'd know much better. Though I do like that idea you mentioned, having the tables turned on them.

Or... have them be rookies on patrol, only to return to the Halls to find the perps free and several Judges on ice...

My City of Heroes group is all judges. There are three different judges you can be: Street Judge, PSI Judge, or Med-Squad. I haven't really been promoting it much yet as work keeps getting in the way, but we certainly get noticed.

The game is so much fun that I'm hopeful I will still be playing it come September. Be sure to look me up when you do get on, and if your players in the table-top game start enjoying the setting, have them come into CoH too.

Good luck with your gaming.

Arabin

Sounds good... checked out your site, looks pretty cool! I'll have to remember to look for ya when I finally get online with CoH.

As for the game... if I can convince them to play, I'll report back with results. :)

We have to wait until the middle of next year to get City of Heroes here in the UK :cry: but from what I have heard it is a great game with a great communtity.

Marc

Technically, the game isn't released in the UK yet, but I have friends in the game from all over the world. One of the people I regularly group with is from western Australia! I remember when I was living in the UK, if I knew friends were going to do the same, I'd order an MMO like Everquest or Asheron's Call (when they first came out) from the US. It costs a little more, but the game is still young and you can make your mark. When an MMO gets to be a year or two old, it's hard for a new player to stand out amongst the crowd.

Any Dredd fan is welcome in my group, and I would love to get some players who know him well.

The only thing to watch, is that sometimes if you order direct from abroad, the UK customs tack on an import charge. You can avoid it by having a friend in the US pick it up and send it as a gift... but of course I wouldn't know anything about that. It's just rumor and speculation... yep.

Anyway, I hope some of you can make it to the game. If you have any questions, ask away. Oh, and I have a forum on my website where you can discuss the game and the group in more detail if you are interested.

Cheers,

Arabin

Back