OK, in Conan: Who Makes the best Bows?

Stef

Mongoose
Who makes the best Bows in the world of Conan?

In order I would say:

1-Hyrkanians
2-Bossonians
3-Shemites
4-Stygians

But I am just a newbie to the fascinating World of Hyboria. What do you guys think?

Comments?

I'd say there is little to choose between Hyrkanian and Shemitish bows. I would rate them both higher than Bossonian longbows. While longbows do need to be well crafted, they are not nearly as sophisticated as composite recurved bows.

In terms of game stats, I would take the extra 20' range increment over the extra damage of the longbow as well.

Bossonian Bows are THE TOOL!

Yes, extra range is nice, but how oftne do you shoot very far in an adventure. The threat range is narrower with the Bossonian Bow but crits are x3!
Juts got a lucky pict in last nights game who did 36 points of damage with a single hit! the player character fell to -1 instantly (no, I don't pull any punches) and even if not the Massive Damage Save would have been in the DC 27 class!

So, take all the nifty little feats with it (rapid shot, point blank shot, shot on the run, increased threat range, weapon focus - soldiers get weapon specialization) and see that your Strength is 16+ and then it's hunting season.

In terms of game stats, I agree with the Baron. The slightly higher damage and (especially) the higher AP of the Bossonian longbow easily makes up for the slightly shorter range. I used to have a Bossonian soldier PC in my game, and I also saw some disgusting criticals from him.

If I were to create a archer character, I'd probably, for aesthetic reasons, go with a Hyrkanian or Shemite bow, though. I just thinks it looks cooler to sneak around in temples and ruins with one of those rather than the huge longbow. Plus, archery from horseback looks cool too. :)

Agree on the astetic side. My bother in law plays a Hyknaian Nomad/ Soldier with a Hyrkanian Bow. Looks good on him and he also dished out some serious damage.

But still no good if a heavily armoured foe is advancing. Against pict any bow is good.

Well, hunting bows suck. But they aren't meant for killing people in the first place.

Back