OGL Horror vs. Ravenloft

Golem2176

Mongoose
I have been buying 3.X Ravenloft products to incorporate ideas, plot engines and the thriller/suspense feel into other games/gaming worlds. I'm just wondering how well does OGL Horror stand up against Ravenloft? Meaning ist it possibile to run the OGL Horror rules in a standar DnD game or third party campaign? I've been thinking about mixing Horror with Dragonstar and Star*Drive, is this even feasible?

I dont know if you can compare them, I LOVE Ravenloft, but that has a lot more story elements/fiction/setting information and so on whereas OGL horror is more of a toolset from what I have seen.

I agree. Ravenloft is a total campaign package rolled into a series of specifically designed books. I love Ravenloft. It's a great premise to play in that era and within that context.

Whereas OGL Horror is simply a core rulebook for how to play horror-inspired adventures. It's not epic like Ravenloft. It's more general and wide open for players to use for any horror campaign.

I think the two would blend nicely, but only if you're using elements of OGL Horror to bolster Ravenloft (as I don't see playing Ravenlift outside of its intended context).

- Stratos

I dont play in or GM Raveloft. I just use the books for ideas. How well written is OGL Horror compared to Ravenloft books? Is there more material for suspense/thriller games in OGL Horror? How well could OGL Horror be integrated into a Science Fiction/Science Fantasy game? Also, from what I've been seeing around the 'net, does it include info on Time Travel?

Well im pretty sure OGL Horror covers pretty much everything you would need for any kind of Horror RPG, and if you needed a certain rule for some obscure specific thing theres doubtless a million of them available on the net :)

OGL Horror is basically a ruleset, and what you do with it is up to you, so if you wanted to do Horror in space, on Earth or in a fantasy land of your own making, you could. Obviously the "weirder" the setting, the more work you would have to put in for yourself, but for most Horror campaigns it should suffice nicely from everything I have read about it.

spawn said:
OGL Horror is basically a ruleset, and what you do with it is up to you, so if you wanted to do Horror in space, on Earth or in a fantasy land of your own making, you could. Obviously the "weirder" the setting, the more work you would have to put in for yourself, but for most Horror campaigns it should suffice nicely from everything I have read about it.

I agree with spawn on this one. It's a pretty complete book.

And soon... maybe very soon... you'll see a Campaign Setting supplement of this book announced! Wouldn't that be sweet?!? :)

- Stratos

Can I please work for your company?

I desperately need a job, being that Target didn't pan out. Plus it'd be awesome to actually work for a gaming company! I don't have any credentials, but I do have more time than I know what to do with!

baileyrecords said:
I agree with spawn on this one. It's a pretty complete book.

And soon... maybe very soon... you'll see a Campaign Setting supplement of this book announced! Wouldn't that be sweet?!? :)

- Stratos

Im VERY interested in the campaign setting books, the OGL ones are just too rules heavy for my liking, I prefer lots of story/setting information so I would be really interested in hearing more about them :)

Any news on what sort of campaign books they will be Kiln? A whole world in the vein of Ravenloft? Or a complete small town etc?

Well let's just say I hope you like Night of the Living Dead, or Dawn of the Dead, or 28 Days Later.... these types of movies... with zombies or zombie type ghouls... (and I just want everyone to know this has NOTHING to do with any licensing from any of these). Starting to see any connection?

Isn't it insane that we're just teasing you all about new Campaign Supplements for all these terrific Mongoose titles... but then we go and be vague like... "coming soon this Fall"! :)

It's so much fun! :)

That said... the CyberNet Official Roleplaying Soundtrack is now officially available for order (a few days early!) Buy it now!

Thanks, Stratos

That sounds great, definitely a "classic" horror subject :)

Is there only one campaign setting coming? How many can we look forward to, just out of curiosity :)

I think we'll be ready to announce one coming soon... and there will most likely be more to follow... depending on the reactions & sales of the first (hint, hint!).

BTW: I just finished reading Darkology from S&P #10 and it's fantastic! Don't be surprised if some of our Horror turns out like this (compatible with CyberNet).

- Stratos

CDs available!

baileyrecords said:
BTW: I just finished reading Darkology from S&P #10 and it's fantastic! Don't be surprised if some of our Horror turns out like this (compatible with CyberNet).

Most excellent!

Back