ogl cybernet: contradictions in web chapter...

hobgoblin

Mongoose
i keep banging my head against the web chapter, at one level its the most simple take on the web there is in that it uses the same basic rules but speed things up in comparison to real space.

but there is a bad contradiction or two between one of the examples and the description of one of the apps.

im refering to the cloak application. in example two where hellcat is breaking into a corp server it at first looks ok but then she is described as useing rogue to aid in hideing for them ICE. problem is that the cloak description says that the user cant be detected by ice in any way unless x conditions apply and then the cloak will basicly fail. so why does she need the rogue?

then she walks over to the vaults door and dissolves it. in the example the ICE gets a spot test but in the description of the cloak its said that a action like that should automaticly make cloak shut down so that she can be spotted by server and ICE alike...

so im basicly confused. i take it that the example should kinda override the description of the the cloack app itself but as it stands it indalidataes most of what the cloak is said to be doing outside of hideing the person from the servers scanner app...

so what would the correct interpetation be?

Hi
Your the first reply I've made. Oh the first I'll always remember my first. :oops:
Ok the way I see it is this, while she is practically invisible to the server and all its little drones while using the Cloak, as soon as she begins doing her thing she will be detectable, so she runs the Rouge to give her a bonus when the cloak fails, so all those nasty little Guardians don't make her into diced kitty. After she dissolves the door and is undetected she can simply rerun the Cloak until she's in position to actvate the Pirate, presumably still getting the bonus from Rouge.
Or I may be totally wrong, it wouldn't be the first time :?

hobgoblin said:
i take it that the example should kinda override the description of the the cloack app itself but as it stands it indalidataes most of what the cloak is said to be doing outside of hideing the person from the servers scanner app...?

The "blue" parts of the books are just stories. Nothing more. I say, go with the description. People make movie mistakes all the time.

err, im not refering to the texts with blue background. im refering to the text on page 230 and 231 labeld examples. these are specificly written to help people understand how the net rules work but fail to do so as they contradict how the diffrent programs are described in the rest of the text.

i guess the only reason we dont see more threads about it is that most people gloss over any reference to cyberspace in a rpg for fear of it being to geek...

i will most likely go with small-god-jove on this but i fear it will lead to a whole lot of discussions with any players that want to play webcrawlers...

Small-god-jove is quite correct on this matter; sorry that the app description does not quite jive with the example. That's an instance of rules being slightly in flux as the text was being laid down. Go with the suggestion given; it is entirely what was meant by the rules.

-August

i take it then that rogue is there for the times when you pull of a action that makes cloak fail and that the server, alltho able to see you, cant direct the ice your way automaticly. it can only inform them to be on the look-out for your deva.

ugh, needs to do some tactical rethinks then ;)

Back