OGL Ancients & Eternal Rome

blue crane

Mongoose
Well, it looks as if Green Ronin is going to be releasing 'Eternal Rome' in April. This, I believe, will make a wonderful tie-in with 'OGL Ancients'. I would have loved to have seen 'OGL Rome' but we may have to be content with only this new offering! It is a pity, as a follow-up from 'OGL Ancients' would have made this tribute to the Classical World complete. I must just add that I'm more of a Latin scholar; those of you who read 'Greats' may, however, have something to say about this.... :lol:

Kind regards,
Blue Crane

blue crane said:
Well, it looks as if Green Ronin is going to be releasing 'Eternal Rome' in April. This, I believe, will make a wonderful tie-in with 'OGL Ancients'. I would have loved to have seen 'OGL Rome' but we may have to be content with only this new offering! It is a pity, as a follow-up from 'OGL Ancients' would have made this tribute to the Classical World complete. I must just add that I'm more of a Latin scholar; those of you who read 'Greats' may, however, have something to say about this.... :lol:

Kind regards,
Blue Crane
Historically the setting is great but the mythology is quite poor compared to Egypt and Greece. The administration of the Roman Republic and Empire was too strong to let fantasy take precedence over reality.

Hi there!

I disagree. Have you ever read 'The Golden Ass' by Apuleius? The novel is full of references to mythical creatures, magical practices, charms, curses and whatnot: all of these indicate an awareness of the fantastic. In my opinion, this would lead me to question that: 'the[ir] mythology was quite poor[.]' Those spells, alone, would fill a 'magic chapter' in 'OGL Rome'. Remember, the common folk (of whom a proportion were of mixed stock and cultures - at least within the period of the Roman Empire) often held world views, customs and practices that deviated - at least in some way - from the 'state-imposed norm' (or those ways prescibed by the 'well-educated').

Kind regards,
Blue Crane

Hi,
I never heard of 'The Golden Ass' by Apuleius until you told it to me and Amazon.com gives a good description. I also read that David Drake wrote several novels set in a fantasy Roman empire.
Still I belive OGL ancients would better fit with such sourcebooks as Trojan War and Testament because of the corresponding time period (2000-1200 BC).
Of course one can always use it with anachronism a la Hercules & Xena.
By the way, where did you find the announcement for 'Eternal Rome'?

Dear 'The King',

I read about it either at 'enworld.org' or 'gamingreport.com'. I hope that this helps.

Kind regards,
Blue Crane

blue crane said:
Dear 'The King',

I read about it either at 'enworld.org' or 'gamingreport.com'. I hope that this helps.

Kind regards,
Blue Crane
Hi,
Thanks anyway for the info. I like the Mythic Vistas series much! :)

Back