Noob in London

Phil73805

Mongoose
Hi all, I've recently gotten into Starship Troopers in a big way (both movies, roughnecks 1-6, miniature game, roleplaying game, original book...) and bought the SST boxed game and plenty of other minis.

I am a former GW employee that has seen the light :D and I was wondering whether there is a good (or even bad) SST gaming scene in London; gaming clubs, swap meets etc.

I've bought stuff for both armies because if nothing else I can teach mates and play games with them but I'd love to get together with other like minded loonies to play.

Anyone out there?

Phil

Okay....this is really worrying...it appears that I've bought into a game that no one plays. Ebay here I come.

Welcome aboard,
Don't worry, people play. SST is a great game.
The forum is extremely active during certain hours of the day.

Brook

I think London is a bit of a stretch for me to play, but I and my local gaming group all play starship troopers (although only 3 of us have models) I have platoons of all the MI variants, as well as an Arachnid army. Another friend has Arachnids and another is buying Skinnies.
We're only just starting out ourselves, but we do play!

Don't give up because you haven't been immediately jumped on by a dozen people on day one, unfortunately SST doesn't have thousands of children thralls like GW.

Like the others have mentioned, check the player locators. Also, if you are ex GW, you must have friends who game. Get them into a game, even if they balk at the idea. As soon as they start playing, I am sure they are going to want to get their own armies

Aniyn said:
Gave up after 8 hours? Did you even look in the player locator?

Yes I did but after a dozen pages with no London entry (but LOADS of American entries) I got somewhat worried that the game hadn't really taken off here in the UK not to mention London. Oh and it wasn't only 8 hours, I edited the post which seems to have changed the date and time stamp.

Also as a noob to SST I was hoping to benefit from the wisdom of more experienced players in a club like setting. Say what you like about GW (I do) but they have an extensive Gaming club network (I helped develop it) and no, they're not all kids by any means.

I suppose I'm not used to getting into a game on the ground floor when it's still in the early stages of spreading, could be fun. Maybe I should be looking to start the first London club...

Phil

Phil73805 said:
Aniyn said:
Gave up after 8 hours? Did you even look in the player locator?

Yes I did but after a dozen pages with no London entry (but LOADS of American entries) I got somewhat worried that the game hadn't really taken off here in the UK not to mention London. Oh and it wasn't only 8 hours, I edited the post which seems to have changed the date and time stamp.

Also as a noob to SST I was hoping to benefit from the wisdom of more experienced players in a club like setting. Say what you like about GW (I do) but they have an extensive Gaming club network (I helped develop it) and no, they're not all kids by any means.

I suppose I'm not used to getting into a game on the ground floor when it's still in the early stages of spreading, could be fun. Maybe I should be looking to start the first London club...

Phil

Dude you aint the only ex GW person on here ;)

Phil73805 said:
Aniyn said:
and no, they're not all kids by any means.

Phil

Sorry Phil, didn't mean to say they were, but in my experience of playing in GW shops, the vast majority are. I tend to play non-GW games (Full thrust, Ancients, American WoI, Napoleonics and now SST) with my local game club, in a friend's attic where he has a 12' by 8' table setup. I only happened to meet the group because one of my work colleagues was a member, and he'd met them at a local game/book shop some time ago. Also, company wide there's quite a good network of gamers around the country for me, but I work for a very large science R&D company, so we tend to attract people who play games lots.

As I said, I think London might be tough to reach for me otherwise I'd offer a game - your best bet might be to try and find any local non-SST gaming groups (probably not GW as I doubt you'd be allowed to play on their tables?) and try and introduce the game since you have two armies.

Dude you aint the only ex GW person on here ;)

Oh dear G-d! You poor soul! I'm sorry :D Another victim, let us all take a moment to reflect on the suffering of those still enthralled to the great devourer :D

But seriously folks, I may well pop down to my old club and see if anyone's up for a game. By the way I really searched the people looking for opponent thingy (very technical) and I found one dude in Ealing and no one else, if you're out there and read this post pm me as Mr Benn already has, bless.

I must add at this point that my armies are nowhere near complete. I have 16/38 warriors built and no MI yet. But that is going to change as I'm about to break open the wrapping on the troopers. Wish me luck :mrgreen:

Phil

The guys I know from London who play are from the North London wargaming club, I think. Two of them make the trip to the office for every tournament we run...

One of them came second at the last event with his Skinnies (the scratch-built speeders, for those of you who came).

They don't post on the forum though.

Tis alright people, I have found a couple of willing victims including another former GW employee and some other wargamers who I know from my time with GW.

I'm also going to be putting together a SST roleplay group made up of the same people. Thanks all for your help.

As for the clubs mentioned, I'm familiar with them I just wasn't aware that they played SST. I will be contacting some guys at my former club Tanelorn to see if I can drum up some interest by running some intro games there.

I've built what will probably be the first of many MI troopers (I'm only building a bug army to increase the number of people I can play), the sticky tutorial was immeasureably useful so kudos to the author! Do any of you have any news/pics of the new pre-painted range? The very thought of them makes me very wary of purchasing new minis at this stage. Also does anyone know how radically different they are in comparison to the current range i.e. will they look ridiculous together and should I therefore be selling my current lot on in preparation for the new shiny stuff?

I really do appreciate the advice I'm getting on these forums, thanks guys.

Phil

Back