Non sorcerer scholar/thief feats

Voltumna

Mongoose
What kind of feats would you allow a thief character who is taking scholar levels, to make up for the new sorcery styles? (won't take any sorcery styles)

Would you only allow those in the class description given his background as a thief? Skill focus are good, of which I would take bluff, and probably move silently and snese motive, but I would like to take more 'rougish' feats like blind fighting or sleep mastery.

If you want such feats, why do you take levels in the Scholar class ? More thief levels would be a better idea IMHO.

Hyborian said:
If you want such feats, why do you take levels in the Scholar class ? More thief levels would be a better idea IMHO.

I agree. Scholars should be learning scholarly things IMO. Would you let a Soldier who took levels in scholar learn combat feats? It would amount to the same thing.

Actually there are some better options there than you know. See if you can't learn the Oriental style and then trade in the rest of your Styles for bonus feats that you use to take the martial arts feats. Your fists are finessable weapons, combine that with your sneak attack dice and you could be quite formidable. Or at least as formidable as anyone can be in conan without armor and a bid weapon.

You dont' have to become a kung-fu master either if you don't want to. Describe your unarmed sneak attacks as kicks to the crotch and jabs to the throat that you learned growing up on the mean streets (thief background) and you are good to go.

Of course, you shouldn't undrestimate the power of Skill Focus either. It is one of only two feats that breaks the max-ranks cap and that power shouldn't be underestimated.

Hope that helps.

argo said:
Actually there are some better options there than you know. See if you can't learn the Oriental style and then trade in the rest of your Styles for bonus feats that you use to take the martial arts feats. Your fists are finessable weapons, combine that with your sneak attack dice and you could be quite formidable. Or at least as formidable as anyone can be in conan without armor and a bid weapon.

You dont' have to become a kung-fu master either if you don't want to. Describe your unarmed sneak attacks as kicks to the crotch and jabs to the throat that you learned growing up on the mean streets (thief background) and you are good to go.

Of course, you shouldn't undrestimate the power of Skill Focus either. It is one of only two feats that breaks the max-ranks cap and that power shouldn't be underestimated.

Hope that helps.

Fair enough. I was talking about the more obvious power attack, cleave etc kind of combat feats in my comment above.

I would personally only allow the feats in the scholar description. The thief could take Iron Will. It doesn't improve any thief abilities, but it's a good feat in Conan.

"Of course, you shouldn't undrestimate the power of Skill Focus either. It is one of only two feats that breaks the max-ranks cap and that power shouldn't be underestimated."

Is this a new rule in Conan I've missed? Skill Focus has never broken the max ranks cap in D&D, as far as I know.

While Skill Focus doesn't break the max ranks cap as such, it does allow a 1st level character to have 4 ranks, plus +3 from Skill Focus plus his stat bonus, for a total of possibly +10 if the appropriate stat is 16.

This is why I was thinking it could be possible to take other kind of feats; my thief will take scholar not because he is interested in nowledge per se, but simply to become a better thief. Scholar abilities complement well those of a hief. The knowledge is power ability would allow him to better anlize a bit of information here, about a legendary treasure. The alternative feats to a new sorcery style, even in the list are good feats for a thief. Even the 2 extra skill points that make up for an advanced spell suit well, to better reflect the breadth of skills and resourcefulness of the thief. The fact that he is becoming a scholar (but not a sorcerer), only reflects the fact that he is training to become a highly trained thief. That is why I thought he could then, take this kind of feats. After all, what should be the nature of a non sorcerer scholar? As a game master, I had once a pirate captain that was a 10th level pirate, and a 2nd level scholar without being a sorcerer. He took skill focus in profession- sailor, and in knowledge- geography. Skill focus are grat feats, specialy since my thief is taking skill mastery as his special ability, but focus in move silently or swim or survival don't seem to me very scholarly feats, although they are all useful for an adventuring scholar. Just a thought, I can abide by the list in the book. Thanks for the comments.

Back