No Dredd RPG in 2005

I just read through Mat's thread about 2005 and I noticed that there was nothing for the Judge Dredd RPG in there.

I was so hoping to get a Judge Dredd 2nd Edition this year. :(

if i remember correctly that it would be after starship troopers rpg as they would use the same combat system. sorta quick and easy. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong :)

Garet said:
if i remember correctly that it would be after starship troopers rpg as they would use the same combat system. sorta quick and easy. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong :)

The Starship Troopers RPG has been announced as using the OGL2 rules set developed for Dredd 2nd Edition. Whether we see a Dredd 2nd Edition is another matter, but I'd like to hope so :)

To be honest I have now started using a Dredd hybrd/homebrew ruleset based on the old GW rules, with all of the new feats as special abilities and stuff from the Psi rules integrated into the old rulesset with some minor adjustments. It seems to work well.

I never liked the driving rules from the new version so have reverted back to the old GW rules (just because kph is so much easier to convert to meters/pr than mph is to feet/r, especially when you start getting into big numbers) and my squad of judges do like to know exactly where they are before I kill them...) and, now I have fully understood D20,... I do not like it.

Tiberius Bane said:
I just want nice simple rules all in one place.

I really hate the fact that I have to refer to the D&D players handbook.

Its basis on the PHB is one thing I really like about the current edition.

See, that just doesnt make sense to me. Why should I buy a whole other game, so I can play Judge Dredd? I mean, its not even the same genre.

I have no problem with the D20 system. I play D&D every week and own OGL Wild West. But carying around a D&D players handbook when i want to play Judge Dredd just seems odd.

But different strokes for different folks right?

Tiberius Bane said:
See, that just doesnt make sense to me. Why should I buy a whole other game, so I can play Judge Dredd? I mean, its not even the same genre.

I have no problem with the D20 system. I play D&D every week and own OGL Wild West. But carying around a D&D players handbook when i want to play Judge Dredd just seems odd.

But different strokes for different folks right?

Dredd was released back when Mongoose was doing everything under the d20 logo. Since then they've moved to losing that logo on their games to allow them to put in the "missing" rules that you're not allowed to put in a d20 game. They've stated that a 2nd Edition of Dredd would move to OGL and therefore be a standalone game, while still using the same rules set. It's just a matter of hoping they decide to do one :)

I will tell you the reason I changed the rules for my group - we have been playing a regular Dredd campaign since 1988 (not every single week, but still a LOT of games!) and we know the GW rules very very well indeed.

I have tried running the D20 version - played all of the published adventures from Mongoose plus one of my own - but it has slowed down our games considerably - (especially npc generation which is ridiculously complicated in d20 - no making up a character on the fly in this rule set!)

the more we play D20 the more it slows down the action. If mongoose came up with an ogl system that was realistic, fast, easy to use and above all did not get in the way of actual roleplaying, I would happily use it. I do like a lot of the feats and psi abilities in the mongoose books but the more I play the less I feel d20 fits the Dredd universe.

A dredd game needs to be fast and fun, npcs need to be instantly diispensible (so there is no point in painstakingly working out prior lives, stats, feats, skills etc for someone who is going to be shot to bits by the pcs within 5 seconds, but they need some stats so that they can at least shoot at the Judges)

So I am stcking with what I know :)

sorry numanti, but I think you're difficulties are more down to personal inexperience of the D20 system. I've run D20 since the week 3rd ed. D&D came out,and I have no trouble arbitrarily making up stats 'on the fly'.

Equally, you cannot compare the speed you run a game that, by your own admission you have been playing for around 17 years to a game system you don't know as well.

Character gen complex?! You should try Milleniums' End! :lol:

I tried the old GW system and found it a little more complex (I hate random D100 rolls. Especially during char gen. Reminds me of dying during char gen under prime directive and Hol) than D20.

Besides, If your NPC is there to shoot at the PC's, what does he need except DEX score & modifier, Base Attack Bonus, Hit points and a weapon? Reflex and will saves depending on the abilities of the party. Maybe a name if you feel really extravagant?

I think the one thing worth remembering is how familiar you are with a system, the more difficult it is to adapt to another, especially after using the other for a long time. For example, like I said, i've played D20 D&D for a good few years, but I have never been able to truly understand THAC0 from 2nd ed. Even when someone explains it to me intelligibly, I just can't remember it. Why? because I've not used it like they have, even when I've played 2nd ed.

Just my 0.02 creds.

I must admit that I've enjoyed some of what D20 has to offer but once they went 3.5 I have no real use for the system. I don't like the 3.5 changes. However I too have the GW Dredd rpg and the D20 version as well. I bought up alot of the books and can not see myself going out and buying the game again.

Like with any system if you know it well enough you can take the essentials and run with it. I have seen too many gaimes where the GM was too rules heavy that it really inhibited game play.

Ultimately you have to make the game entertaining. If your players like to sit around for 2 hours fighting the same bunch of Juves. So be it however it can really slow a game down. I am not the biggest D20 fan but have enough books that if the group wants to play or if I wanted to run something at the local game shop then I can. Like I said before liked D20 until it went 3.5.

Ultimately the biggest element that HAS to be there is fun so go out there and entertain the masses.

Cypher226 said:
Besides, If your NPC is there to shoot at the PC's, what does he need except DEX score & modifier, Base Attack Bonus, Hit points and a weapon? Reflex and will saves depending on the abilities of the party. Maybe a name if you feel really extravagant?

I do take all of your points and, of course, D20 _is_ an unfamiliar system to me and it is indeed getting easier. I quoted that part because, well, generating dex+modifier, BAB, HP, Ref etc is, to me, much more complicated to get right than making up a S, I and CS score, maybe a psi save if there is a psi on the team (plus a name if I am feeling extravagent!). Obviously my long experience and comfort with the GW Dredd system helps to make it easy, and perhaps I sounded harsh on the Dredd game and D20 syetem in my previous post.

The Mongoose Dredd game is superb and the detail is breathtaking, which is why I have bought a copy of every book put out (2 copies of RG to the Undercity!), and I will continue to buy anything that is put out for the game. But I am an old stick in the mud and I really, honestly prefer some of the old rules that my team and I are so familiar and comfortable with.

Yeah I can get that way as well when it comes to systems you have grow to love and then something new comes around. But it is always good to experiment with new systems and games. I really say this to those whom D20 is their first game since some (That I know) think it is the only system out there or refuse to learn anything new if it is not D20. Whether that be laziness, a comfort thing or just being a total D20 nerd? Not sure but I treat D20 like any new system I learn. I take what is important and toss the rest.

:D

I've been thinking of buying the Dredd RPG, but have heard rumblings of a 2nd edtition. I don't have d20 D&D, so am hoping for a OGL Dredd game. If it comes to be, will the sourcebooks still be compatible? I mean, I won't need the D&D PHB for the sourcebooks if the new Dredd is OGL will I?

numanti said:
which is why I have bought a copy of every book put out (2 copies of RG to the Undercity!)

Not that I'm complaining (you've single-handedly accounted for about a quarter of the sales of that book!), but why do you need two copies...?

Because I ordered it from amazon and it took forever (nearly 3 months) to arrive, so I bought a copy from Mongoose and then they both arrived within a day of each other. Sending one back was too much effort ;)

I really wanted that but couldn't justify the cost to the mrs, what with having to buy non-essential things like the house...

Back