Next army?

Would you like the next "Army" to be released for SST to be:

• An army specifically designed by Mongoose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A set of rules to allow players to field their own creted armies

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think Vor is the only system that could really get away with that much customisation, i think its a bit too far ahead to be thinking about

however, if we did see a new army/faction, id love humans not part of the federation, (i want SST space pirates!)

Customization is a dangerous thing. If Mongoose doesn't ever expect to have the game compeditive (too late, they assign point values.) & keep it to only scenario games, then customization of armies can work.

If you can custom make an army, I'll tell you right now, the Tournament circut will be a Munchkin Min-Max festival.

For some reason, people want the freedom to "Customize & Create" their own armies to express themselves with, but they can't do it on their own with house rules. They need a company to plant guidelines for their creativity.......... Kinda strange, huh?

Not if only some lists are approved for tournament ´play... Predesigned...

Like one platoon with some listed choice of support. Making the Tournament lists based upon military organisation is good, so that it isn't the powergamers that win most times, but the tacticians...

I don't know... I bet that they will come up with a smart system... *Or I hope*

Another option is a campaign based system... More true to the setting...

A "tournament" is rather a Campaign where linked missions for all is a must...

Say like... A fractured Megabattle where one platoon (one player) is given one mission by the organizer and the other, another... And so on... Then the Bug players are briefed in another room and assigned to the different tables...

Then ppl are awarded as if the campaign was real afterwards, as if they were platoon commanders...

Could be cool... Rankings could be sweet... All starts as green Cadets, fresh out of Military Academy... ?

Ideas... But still intresting ideas...
Anyone with me?

Completely interesting ideas & it would be cool to be able to pull it off. However, theres 2 problems with what otherwise seem like great ideas.

#1. Finding organizers who will put that kind of time in & still practice normal hygene.

#2. You would need balanced sides. In games with 4 factions, I have run 24+ people tournaments to have more than 1/2 the people show up with the same faction, then bitch because they are not experiencing every other Faction in battle. :roll:

Good ideas, but you need to remember K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) Simplicity transfers efforts easier.

Yeah... We got a saying in the Swedish Army that is somewhat simular to the K.I.S.S.

And with 24 players... Hmmm...

Lets say that in order to join the "Campaign" you as a player need to bring another player with "the other army". And then we've got them skinnies...

But then again...

Got too many bugs? Let two bugs play one MI and give the MI more airsupport or something simular...

Too many MI? Heh... Well... I bet that one could work out something... :p

One could work out a campaign template, or even make Mongoose publish one that Andy and the rest have dedicated some sweat and blood in... I'd buy it! I'd even sign in to the MI corps and run campaigns here if they made it!

The campaign type is better IMHO than ordinary swiss type tournaments... As the GM or Judge you have a good controll and can manuvre to make everybody happy... It's for fun anyways and the medal system makes some intresting reward system as losses, if made right (without bitching and such) doesn't spoil you in terms of rewards...

Sure... The platoon commander and Brain Bug who respectivly accompliched their given missions and maybe even did stuff beyond their missions will get a service medal, maybe a medal for extraordinary action in furthering the general cause of the campaign too? A Purpule heart for one who took his losses as a man. A Medal of Honour for best Sportsman?

I bet you get my point...

Sure, this might end up costing quite some $$$, but... Well... It's an idea...

Hey Sikil? Are you in the WM forums?

As far as the topic, I gotta say that "customization" has started to turn me off to games. Why?

FASA's Battletech. I used to be a Marauder for them and 1 time (and only 1 time) I did a tournament where people could create their own Lance of Custom Mechs. It took me 2 hours longer to start because I had to check, help redesign, argue and cajole the correct math out of people.

GW. Lets be honest here. Go to a Rogue Trader tournament and you're gonna face min/max'd armies. Sure, there may be a few silly folks who make balanced and theme filled armies. Odds are they've lost before setting a mini on the table. Maybe someone has even won. The point is that Min/Max is the standard.

I like SST's feel that it's like a modern military. Uniformity of equipment and training. Allowing some tactical options is enough list flexibility for me.

Bobby Hostile said:

Yeah, I'm one of the three(?) PGer in Sweden... I've been a member in the IKWM forums since... Errr.... Almost the launch date! :) Member no. 176 IIRC... ? Why do you ask?

Because Bobby is a member there & so am I (MERV....). Just seeing who's jumping back & forth. :D

Bobby Hostile said:
GW. Lets be honest here. Go to a Rogue Trader tournament and you're gonna face min/max'd armies. Sure, there may be a few silly folks who make balanced and theme filled armies. Odds are they've lost before setting a mini on the table. Maybe someone has even won. The point is that Min/Max is the standard.

Funny you say that. I was in 1 & only 1 RTT. I had a beautifully painted Imperial Fist army, themed around getting lead into the air. 2 Squads of standard marines, each squad with a Heavy Bolter. 1 Devistator squad with all Heavy Bolters & an assault squad with Melta Bombs for tanks & such.
I lost every game badly to min-maxed armies. I was even trashed by an 11 year old who had a 25 year old create his army for him! I never stood a chance & honestly felt stupid for even entering.

I for one had a blast at the Scandinavian 40k GT2005. I had a mechanized Tau army with what? 7-8 tanks, 4 mounted units and 3 mecha suits (kitbashes with loads of japanese stuff in 'em)...

Due to a hasty paitjob I got a pretty normal comp rating as I built and panited the 1500 pts force in one week! (That's the time I had after finnishing my military service and the opening of the GT!!! )

PM me if you'd like to see pictures, as I don't want to spam this forum with irrelavant pics... ;)

well if yall are looking for a set of rules that are customizable. look int aetherverse.... www.aetherverse.com

Back