Newbie question

Lord Soth

Mongoose
Hellos all,

I'm about to begin buying the Conan RPG and I have a quick question. Do I also need the D&D player's manual or is everything I need in the Conan core book? I'm a gaming veteran of 20+ years and very familiar with D&D so I know how to roll up characteristics. Is that all that's not included or is there more? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to drop another $30 bucks for a book I'm hardly ever going to use.

Lord Soth

Everything you need is in the core book. Make sure you get the Atlantean Edition.

Welcome to the boards and the game!

A great start to the Conan d20 RPG is the core rule book (Atlantean Edition) and the book "Road of KIngs", which fleshes out the countries of Hyboria. In time, once you're used to the game, pick up the inexpensive Pocket Edition of the core rule book.

Welcome to Hyboria!! :)

I just bought the Atlantean Edition & the Shadizar box today and I have three more products en route from Amazon (Road of Kings, Pirate Isles, & Messentia). So, if I have the Atlantean Edition, why do I need the Pocket Edition? My understanding is that it contains 80% of what's in the Atlantean Edition, adds no new material, and was geared for players (i.e. taking out GM related information).

So what should be my next purchase? I was thinking Hyboria's Fallen/Fiercest/Finest. I know the Temptress is a new core class. The adventures will probably be my last purchases.

Oh, are the Signs & Portents articles worth getting. I would only be getting them for the Conan articles.

Thanks for the help and advice! :)

Lord Soth

S&P issues lately have been offered gratis in PDF format.
The Hyboria's F-series is excellent. A lot of multiclass options offered therein.

Lord Soth said:
So, if I have the Atlantean Edition, why do I need the Pocket Edition? My understanding is that it contains 80% of what's in the Atlantean Edition, adds no new material, and was geared for players (i.e. taking out GM related information).

I use the Pocket Edition way more than the players do during a game but the biggest advantage is it's size and the lack of space it takes up on a gaming table already cut in half with the Conan GM screen - which is helpful as well, btw. I like to use the Pocket Edition to help keep my hardback book in better shape too - the last game I didn't even bring my hardback book.

That said, I would purchase one of the supplements on the player classes (Fallen, Fiercest or Finest) next unless you know your game will take place in or near the Pictish wilderness or in western Aquilonia. If that's the case then pickup Across Thunder River, you will be happy you did.

You might need access to the SRD to look up some definitions not explicitly covered in the Conan rulesbook, IIRC.

Mad Dog

Lord Soth said:
SRD?

Lord Soth

www.d20srd.org

that's a hyperlinked site for it. The SRD (System Refrence Document) is the basic d20 rules from which the Conan game was based on. Some rules like falling damage and stuff aren't in the core book but the SRD does have that info. Conan's rules are slightly diffrent but the SRD can fill some of the gaps that seemed to be forgotten.

I don't know why I was never able to find that link. Guess I'm a poor googler.

Thanks, could have settled a lot of assumptions by me. Oh well, I deserve that, I suppose.

Back