New to Traveller

wynteriii

Mongoose
I'm new to Traveller but I'm ready. It sounds awesome. I have just a few questions:

1.What supplements would you recommend?

2. How do you play in your own group. I feel like I would have to get some mini/tokens and some map grids but I don't know. I personally think that those star grids and a erasable battle mat with sci-fi tokens would be enough but hey, that doesn't please everyone.

wynteriii said:
I'm new to Traveller but I'm ready. It sounds awesome. I have just a few questions:

1.What supplements would you recommend?

2. How do you play in your own group. I feel like I would have to get some mini/tokens and some map grids but I don't know. I personally think that those star grids and a erasable battle mat with sci-fi tokens would be enough but hey, that doesn't please everyone.

The answers are highly dependent on what you're looking for

1. What kind of setting are you looking for? (3rd Imperium, M0, Interstellar wars, Long Night etc)
2. What kind of game are you looking for? (free trader, explorer, naval adventure, mercenaries, espionage etc)

wynteriii said:

Me I bring along an a4 pad of paper and just draw maps when i need them, I do have some old star wars mini's when I want to show where they are in relation to their foes but ultimately if you can run this and just use your imagination, go for it!

Whilst I agree with the other posted comments regarding what kinds of game are you interested in.
Book wise you can run a game with just the Traveller core rulebook or in my case the pocket version which is cheaper.

What kinds of science fiction are you interested in?

That might reveal which books you might want to look at first.

If you want books you can carry around that are small enough to fit inside a bag along with whatever else you want to bring along have a look at the little black book series which are well worth a look.

Have you any thoughts on what kind of game you'd like to run?

I'm gonna definitely run a mercenary and/or bounty hunter type campaign.

I like the little black books, were the Classic Traveller this small?

Side question: How easy is it to run Traveller online?

wynteriii said:
I'm gonna definitely run a mercenary and/or bounty hunter type campaign.

Book 1: Mercenary
Book 5: Agent (covers bounty hunters)

Supplement 4: Central Supply Catalogue - would give you (and your players) more toys to play with, with a focus on weapons.

wynteriii said:
I like the little black books, were the Classic Traveller this small?

Actually, smaller.

wynteriii said:
Side question: How easy is it to run Traveller online?

Easy enough, can be done using specialized software (for mapping and such) such as MapTools:

http://www.rptools.net/

Or using IRC or IM, or if you prefer voice could use some form of VOIP (such as Skype), Forum based, Email... Or a combination depending on your desires/wants.

I'm thinking that the players will be bounty hunters who will, for a fee, find what you want found or do what you need done.

I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about playing this game. No should I go for the LBB of Hardback core rulebook. I think the LBB would give me a better feel of Classic Traveller (if that can be found).

I have the first printing and the sceond printing of the hardcover rules, as well as the LBB format copy. If I am reading the LBB format I need my reading glasses as the text is very small (well at least to my aging eyes lol). If you have good eyes then the LBB is a great value, but if someone in your group or you have bad eyesight I do recommend the second printing hardcover to me it is worth the price. Also Mongoose is part of the Bits and Morter so if your local gamestore is registered you can get PDF copies of everything you buy making it a great value.

Well not sure about the bible size, but I do believe they reduced the font in half to make it all fit on the half size page. So the font is like I say very small, which is the only complaint I have with the LBB format, I can read it with my reading glasses. My son does not need any assistance with magnification when he reads it though. I still like it but I will not order any of the other books in the format with my eyes. Even though getting the book in PDF as well would work fine on my iPad which is where I have a copy of all the books I have PDF's of.

wynteriii said:
I'm thinking that the players will be bounty hunters who will, for a fee, find what you want found or do what you need done.

I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about playing this game. No should I go for the LBB of Hardback core rulebook. I think the LBB would give me a better feel of Classic Traveller (if that can be found).

A classic is "skip tracing".

Our Heroes are in a Type S scout - the jeep of the Imperium, capable of jump-2 and carrying some crew and a small amount of cargo. The Imperium buys em by the thousand, and rather than scrap them as they get to the end of their useful life, the IISS floods frontier sectors with retired "detatched duty" scouts so they can hide their intelligence agents among them.

The Bank of Regina lent some merchant or other a bunch of money on his Type A2 Far Trader, and he's stopped reporting ... and stopped making his payments. Has he been taken by pirates ? Misjumped ? Changed his transponder to become a smuggler or a pirate ?

Its a classic. It works. It gives Our Heroes the responsibility of flying around to dodgy places. They can even try and make some money on the way.

I think what I'll do is get the core rule in HC then get the other books in LBB form.

I'll have the meat of the system and have small books littered around it, all covered by a ref screen.

wynteriii said:

You are making the first basic error that practically every Referee makes: choosing the game you want to make before you have consulted your players. What you should do is actually ask the players what kind of game they want to play and base your plan around that. Your role as Referee is to make playing the game fun for your players as well as running the game.

I would suggest you read this fantastic book before you do anything:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gamemastering-Brian-Jamison/dp/144867543X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=OKP2IOYQ7C9C&coliid=I3S4CXNF6DX5F0

It actually makes difficuct reading for an experienced Referee who has been doing things wrong all of his life like myself, but it doesnt help that most role playing games are designed to be used in a randomised way where this bloke suggests choosing ans creating your character in a more sensible way to suit what the player wants to play. At least Traveller provides a point based chargen system that can be used in this way.

Anyway its a great book makes you really rethink everything you have done and role playing games designers should listen to what this bloke has to say because it all makes a lot of sense.

nats said:
You are making the first basic error that practically every Referee makes: choosing the game you want to make before you have consulted your players. What you should do is actually ask the players what kind of game they want to play and base your plan around that.

Excellent point! I would actually go a step further and, as a GM, not even really think in advance about what will happen in play, but that's not particularly suitable advice for most first-time GMs. Most of us have to learn to manage a pre-planned game before we can successfully wing it.

nats said:
It actually makes difficuct reading for an experienced Referee who has been doing things wrong all of his life like myself,

I haven't read the book (although I did just grab a copy of the PDF version from the author's site), but, if it says that there's One True Way to GM and that anyone "has been doing things the wrong way all [their] life" because they weren't doing things the author's way, then I'm going to disagree with it.

Even if it doesn't, I'm going to disagree with you. If you were running games that you and your players enjoyed, then you were not "doing things wrong".

nats said:
but it doesnt help that most role playing games are designed to be used in a randomised way where this bloke suggests choosing ans creating your character in a more sensible way to suit what the player wants to play. At least Traveller provides a point based chargen system that can be used in this way.

Different strokes for different folks, horses for courses, etc. Some of us like things randomized. Many reasons were given in a recent discussion at RPG.net about how random chargen originated. My personal explanation, based on previous discussions I've seen on random vs. point-buy chargen:

Some people come to the table with a character in mind that they want to play. Point-buy systems are good in these cases because they allow you to accurately model this pre-existing character.

Other people come to the table either unsure of what they want to play or actively wanting to be surprised by their character. Random generation is good for these cases because it allows you to discover an as-yet-unknown character.

Personally, I pretty much always want to discover my characters, not model them, and Traveller's random chargen is probably my all-time favorite way of doing so. Randomness is not inherently bad and using it is not "doing things wrong" in any objective sense.

nDervish said:
I haven't read the book (although I did just grab a copy of the PDF version from the author's site), but, if it says that there's One True Way to GM and that anyone "has been doing things the wrong way all [their] life" because they weren't doing things the author's way, then I'm going to disagree with it.

Even if it doesn't, I'm going to disagree with you. If you were running games that you and your players enjoyed, then you were not "doing things wrong".

Well I am a very inexperienced Referee so I am not entirely sure that I have run any successful games yet, and I have only so far ever presented pre-made characters to my players.

Either way in this book the author suggests that generating a randomised character is a bad way to go if you want to encourage players to role play. Characters should reflect what the player wants to play, be unusual, heroic and likeable. And I fully agree with all of his points which are based on his many years of role playing experience.

I don't like to hear that stuff because I actually enjoy generating random characters using the Traveller system but I can completely see how this can often create characters that a player may not relate with or be interested in, and therefore will not have any desire to role play with.

Its probably the best book I have ever read about role playing to date actually and I have only read the Amazon preview bits of it so far! Its definitely on my wish list.

Random vs. custom built characters:

There's room for both. :D

Pre-written adventures vs. custom adventures designed specifically with the players custom characters in mind:

In fact, I would say that either direction in abundance can lead to a stagnating game. Variety is the way to go.

wynteriii said:
Assuming that neither you or your players have ever played Traveller before. Perhaps you could create a short adventure based on a bounty hunting scenario and get everyone into the system and background, and then see what you and the players want to do next. ie. Don't necessarily assume that this will be the only scope of your Traveller adventures and be adaptable to what your players want to do next.

That's the real trick, be adaptable.

nats said:
You are making the first basic error that practically every Referee makes: choosing the game you want to make before you have consulted your players. What you should do is actually ask the players what kind of game they want to play and base your plan around that. Your role as Referee is to make playing the game fun for your players as well as running the game.
Let me say that while your words hold some validity, they are also quite wrong.

Go to Amazon and hunt for game mastering books and there are many, and the opinions all differ from your statement in some way.

Most forget what is:
A) the Most Important Rule of Role-Playing
B) Role-Playing's First Rule
C) That which I've learned in over 30 years of GMing

"Without Players the Game Master has no game, and without a Game Master the Players have no game."

Myself I have a style to my GMing, it is basic and flexible, and before someone joins one of my games I tell them how I GM (even made up a one page handout so they have it in writing). If you don't like my style don't play - if you do decide to sit at the table then don't later start bitching about my style.

After that, I allow somewhat for what the players want in style - as long as it doesn't mean making major changes. Why do I GM this way? Because I got extremely tired of players who aren't there to role-play but to may the game a competition in can they make the craziest character and how fast they can derail the game and turn the game into a big "oh look at me I'm so powerful I can do all this crazy shit make me the center of everything."

I've had people *demand* they start at 3rd level (D&D 3.x), and when I agree with the a restriction of "all three levels must be the same class, you can multi-class at 4th" they go ballistic. They yell and piss and moan about how I'm a horrible GM I won't let them play their character how they want etc. What they are complaining about is I've eliminated their ability to create weird combinations not for any character concept outside of how disruptive they can be with the character.

So, I'll first decide my basic style for the game (I adjust for what system I'm running) and once I have players who are willing to play at my table I'll take their wishes into consideration.

P.S. Oh, and I happen to own and have read many times the ultimate books on role-playing and Game Mastering written by the ultimate authority on the subject: E. Gary Gygax. *His* books have a permanent place of honor on my bookshelf.

so,
A) You are thinking you want to run a bounty-hunter style campaign.
B) You want to do random char gen for the first time.

Ok, for (A) that's fine and a great idea just don't get too detailed just make your framework for the campaign. The players are going to probably go off in directions you didn't initially plan on so you have to be flexible. No matter how well you describe your campaign background and goals, each player will immediately form an image in their mind of what you mean - and it will vary quite a bit from your own. But staying loose will give them room to help build the game into something everyone enjoys including you - as opposed to something that unintentionally is not fun for them.

(B) Traveller allows players to choose their Service for each term (having to roll for enlistment if it is a new service), choose which specialty within that service for the current term, and which of at least three tables to roll on for skill etc. You can also use the point-buy system listed at the very end of character gen chapter. This will allow them nearly absolute freedom in making their character. It's not a bad system I've used it many times just to make pregens. I would also suggest looking at the core "Chthonian Stars" book for Traveller as it has some really great ideas you can incorporate in char gen, like "advantages/disadvantages" which can help flesh out their character.

Feel free to PM me if you would like any help. Not only have I been GMing over 30 years, but every year I run RPG's at 4-6 conventions in my region, and have even run D&D for WotC and RPGA at Gencon once or twice. :D

nats said:
Well I am a very inexperienced Referee so I am not entirely sure that I have run any successful games yet, and I have only so far ever presented pre-made characters to my players.

Even so, the fact that you're here suggests that someone must have had fun during the sessions you ran. Which means you were doing something right.

nats said:
Either way in this book the author suggests that generating a randomised character is a bad way to go if you want to encourage players to role play. Characters should reflect what the player wants to play, be unusual, heroic and likeable. And I fully agree with all of his points which are based on his many years of role playing experience.

I've read the introduction and the first three chapters of that book, so I haven't quite gotten to his take on character generation (that's chapter 4...), but my many years of role-playing experience (like the author, I started in the late 70s) don't show any tendency of random chargen to discourage role-playing. If there is any correlation - and I'm not convinced that there is one - I expect that it goes in the other direction: Players who get into heavy RP are more likely to come to the table with a concept already in mind, so they're also more likely to want to build that character (point-buy) rather than to discover a new one (random gen).

nats said:
I don't like to hear that stuff because I actually enjoy generating random characters using the Traveller system but I can completely see how this can often create characters that a player may not relate with or be interested in, and therefore will not have any desire to role play with.

If you enjoy generating random characters, then generate random characters. It's not wrong and it won't prevent you from having a great game in whatever style (RP-heavy or action-focused or whatever else) you want. My experience is that a rich random system, such as Traveller's, makes it easier to RP by giving characters an interesting background and life story (as opposed to a D&D-style random chargen, which just gives you a list of stats and nothing more). If there's something about the character that makes it uninteresting or unengaging for the player - and I can't recall a time I've ever had Traveller give me one like that, but YMMV - then the player and GM can either agree on some tweaks to make the character more interesting or you can just roll a new one from scratch, perhaps even saving the first one for later use as an NPC.

nats said:
Its probably the best book I have ever read about role playing to date actually and I have only read the Amazon preview bits of it so far! Its definitely on my wish list.

As I hinted at in my earlier reply, the full text is available for free download from the author's site: http://www.gamemastering.info/get-the-book There's no need to limit yourself to Amazon's previews.

Vyrolakos said:
Random vs. custom built characters:

Exactly!

Vyrolakos said:
Pre-written adventures vs. custom adventures designed specifically with the players custom characters in mind:

I'm a little less open-minded on this one, simply because some adventures don't make much sense for certain types of characters and/or don't interest certain players. If you write up a bounty-hunting adventure and then the players create a bunch of rich nobles with minimal combat skills and whose pocket change is worth more than the bounty, then why would they pursue it?

Vyrolakos said:
Assuming that neither you or your players have ever played Traveller before. Perhaps you could create a short adventure based on a bounty hunting scenario and get everyone into the system and background, and then see what you and the players want to do next. ie. Don't necessarily assume that this will be the only scope of your Traveller adventures and be adaptable to what your players want to do next.

That's the real trick, be adaptable.

Adaptability is indeed key, so I tend to approach things the other way around. Go into the first session completely blank. Roll characters, then spend the rest of the session talking about the characters and about what kind of game the players might want to have. Also take a little time to familiarize everyone with the system if they don't already know it - resolve some typical skill checks for each character, play out a test combat, that sort of thing. Then go home.

Armed with the information collected about the players' interests and their characters' abilities, you can now create some situations to throw at them, confident in the knowledge that they're the sort of situations that will be interesting and appropriate for your group. Maybe even write up (the outline of) an entire "adventure" if that's the approach you're most comfortable with. Then take all this to the second session and start the actual campaign.

nDervish said:
Vyrolakos said:

I'm a little less open-minded on this one, simply because some adventures don't make much sense for certain types of characters and/or don't interest certain players. If you write up a bounty-hunting adventure and then the players create a bunch of rich nobles with minimal combat skills and whose pocket change is worth more than the bounty, then why would they pursue it?

To clarify.

Most pre-written adventures either have a clear character assumption that you have to take into account (it's a bounty hunter adventure, or its a political/intrigue plot, etc), or they are written in such a way that the adventure can happen to 'anyone' who is unlucky enough to get caught up in the scenario.

In the first case, you only use the adventure if the characters are compatible (or create new characters specifically for the adventure), and in the second case, you tweak it to fit the characters you have in play.

It's that adaptability thing. I've found the humble pencil can fix pretty much any pre-written scenario mismatch. :wink:

Back