New Online Char Gen and Website

Mongoose Si

Mongoose
Hi All

Some of you may have read in another thread that I have been busy working on an online character generator.

Well, I am proud to announce that it is finally ready to use :)

Since it is an online generator, I had to put together a website to complement it.

The URL is www.starstuff.co.uk

It is currently in the Beta stage and needs to be tested thoroughly so there may be a few (or a lot) of errors. There are also a few features I've yet to implement, but it is in a usable stage and any comments, suggestions and error reports would be most welcome. Full details are on the website.

The website also has a link database where you can submit your own links. I also plan to post material on the site including a campaign I'm currently writing.

I hope you find it useful...

hmmm... seems to be something wrong with the skill points generation:

Human Officer, 1st Level, INT 10: should be 20 skill points, is showing 41

Human Officer, 1st Level, INT 17: should be 32 skill points, is showing 56

Centauri Officer, 1st Level, INT 10: should be 16 skill points, is showing 20

Centauri Scientist, 1st Level, INT 10: should be 32 skill points, showing 40

Enlightened Bystander said:
hmmm... seems to be something wrong with the skill points generation:

Oops, well spotted - my calculation was a bit out there :shock:

Thanks for spotting that one - it should be correct now :)

many congratulations Ghost Dancer on a good addition for the B5 universe. 8)

it`s the fan made sites and ideas like this that has helped keep Babylon 5 going for so long. :D :D

For some reason I can't get it to go past the skill selection screen. Any idea why that would be?

I've spent all the points so its not that.

Eryx said:
For some reason I can't get it to go past the skill selection screen. Any idea why that would be?

Same Problem here, if you don't spend all of your Skillpoint, you can get past that screen.

Steeleagle

Steeleagle said:
Eryx said:

Same Problem here, if you don't spend all of your Skillpoint, you can get past that screen.

Steeleagle

Sorry about that - it was a javscript error (I don't like javascript!). I got lazy when testing it and did not use up all my skill points :?

Fixed now :)

Sweet!

Just had a quick play and it's very useable.

Any chance you might extend it so you can produce higher level characters?

The main reason I'm hoping for this is to date I've mainly been using Traveller as a basis for my B5 games (though intending to convert to d20 when play recommences) and and some existing characters (due to the Traveller career path, plus the shear weight of experience in play) are probably as experienced as 14-15 level.

No pressure :)

Heya..I have tried your character gen and I like it..but one part confuses me..the "Modify Skills" section...

I'm making a 3rd level telepath. At the main skills selection I chose my skills, leaving no points unspent. Then I got to the Modify Skills section and I have 32 more skills!

Now, I have a few questions...Where do these extra points come from?
And why can I not buy new skills with them? I put 6 points in the skills listed and maxed them all out... I have 26 unspent skill points but I can't do anything with them.

Could you please explain this section and what is going on here? Is this a bug of some kind?

Abraxus

I was just playing with it again, and got a similar thing. I made a Brakiri Agent, and gave him skill focus as his feat. It then took me to the skills section and said that my feat choice gives me 8 more skill points!

Abraxus said:
Heya..I have tried your character gen and I like it..but one part confuses me..the "Modify Skills" section...

I'm making a 3rd level telepath. At the main skills selection I chose my skills, leaving no points unspent. Then I got to the Modify Skills section and I have 32 more skills!

Sorry, that is me being crap! It is the same error as before - should be okay now :) My brain is a bit frazzled at the moment :shock:

Now, I have a few questions...Where do these extra points come from?
And why can I not buy new skills with them?

The modify skills page is there since some feats change the cost of some skills (e.g. allow non-class skills to become class skills). Some feats require certain skills as prerequisites. This was a bit of a chicken & egg situation which is why I ended up with two pages of skill selection.

The modify skills page only has the skills selected from the first skills page because I thought it would be more managable this way. Now it works correctly *ahem* you will usually just get a few more skill points to spend if you select the a feat (such as the hobby feat) which reduces the amount of skill points you have spent!

Phew!

Am I making sense here?

Anyway, as I said, I thought it would be more managable this way, but I'm happy to change it so it shows all skills if people would prefer it that way?

frobisher said:
Sweet!

Just had a quick play and it's very useable.

Cheers :)

Any chance you might extend it so you can produce higher level characters?

I can increase this quite easily. It currently goes up to Level 20 - what sort of level would you like it to go up to?

I may well get rid of the drop down list and have a box where you can just type in the level you want instead. However, I think the drop down is easier to use and illiminates any possible errors.

Ghost Dancer said:
I may well get rid of the drop down list and have a box where you can just type in the level you want instead. However, I think the drop down is easier to use and illiminates any possible errors.

Doh!

Paddy fails spot the obvious roll :( You can do higher than first level characters and I'm a moron for not spotting it :)

The character generator has a lot of promise. I hope it's capabilities will continue to expeand and pull in all the rules from the supplemental books.

One problem I ran into was that after the Feat selection I came to the second Skills selection. Suddenly I had 18 more Skill points to spend (which seemed like a lot to me). I maxed out all of my skills, and still had more points that I couldn't spend.

The character I was writting up is included so you can see where any problem might have been generated.

Londora
Level 1 Centauri Scientist
Hit Points: 5 Initiative: 1 Speed: 30 DV: 11 DR: 0
Attacks: Melee: +1, Ranged: +1
Abilities: Str: 13, Dex: 13, Con: 15, Int: 17, Wis: 12, Cha: 13
Saves: Fort: 2 (1 poison, disease, exhaustion), Ref: 1, Will: 3
Skills: Bluff (7), Computer Use (7), Concentration (6), Diplomacy (7), Knowledge (Alien Life) (7), Knowledge (Human Medicine) (7), Knowledge (Noble Houses) (7), Medical (5), Profession (Doctor) (5), Sense Motive (5), Spot (5)
Feats: Noble Birth, Primary Area of Study

For background, my wife decided she wanted to be a daughter of Londo Molari. As an 8 year old child, she was taken to be presented to the Emperor. The court was in the midst of a debate, were Centauri inherently superior, or was it their superior culture which made them better than all other races.

The debate continued quietly as the emperor met with the children brought to be presented to him. As Londo's daughter came forward, the emperor put the question to the young diplomat, as he was serving as an emisary to Earth at the time. Londo declared that it was plain for any to see that Centauri were superior as a race.

The emperor decided to test this and declaired that Londo's daughter would be sent to Earth to attend human schools and adopt the ways of the Earthers. If indeed Centauri were inherently superior, then she should quickly rise to the top and excel beyond her human peers. As fate should have it the Earth minbari war broke out within months.

She did excel, studying medicine and becoming a doctor. When medical staff with alien experience were recruited for B5, she applied as an expert on Centauri. She has, per the Emperor's order, adopted human styles of dress and wears a wig to appear human. She discards these when in Centauri surroundings. Most of her co-workers know her true heritage, but few would guess it upon a casual meeting.

Londo is actually quite embarassed about the whole arrangement.

Abraxus said:
I would love it if your program could create multiclass characters. Is that possible to do?

I am hoping to add this at some point :) It's on my to "do list" (along with several other things)

PottsBr said:
The character generator has a lot of promise. I hope it's capabilities will continue to expeand and pull in all the rules from the supplemental books.

Thank you. There are lots more features I plan to add as well as rules from the supplement books. For the time being I am focusing on working out the errors ;)

One problem I ran into was that after the Feat selection I came to the second Skills selection. Suddenly I had 18 more Skill points to spend (which seemed like a lot to me).

Yup, that was a known error which has been fixed now :) but thanks for letting me know.

I also like your character background - very interesting :)

I just want to thank you Ghost Dancer for bringing this valuable tool to the B5 community.
Long will your name be celebrated in many races temples.

OK, maybe I got carried away a bit there, but thanks anyway for your continuous effort. :D

Back