New Feats!!!

Iron_Chef

Mongoose
Here are some feats from the Hyborian Age d20 site http://hyboria.xoth.net/rules/new_feats.htm
I've updated them where necessary for conformity to Conan RPG rules. The rest of the feats from the site seem to be incorporated into the Conan rules already.

Expert Armor Use [Special]
You know how to wear your armor for maximum efficiency.
Prerequisite: Soldier 1+, any Armor Proficiency.
Benefit: When wearing medium or heavy armor, for purposes of movement and class features you may treat the armor as if it were one category lighter (ie. banded armor is treated as Medium armor and a breastplate is treated as if it were Light armor). This only affects movement. Armor penalties, arcane spell failure and weight are all unaffected.

Expert Shield Use [Special]
You know how to use your shield for best effect.
Prerequisite: Soldier 1+, Shield Proficiency.
Benefit: When you use a shield to parry or dodge in combat, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your Parry and Dodge (ranged) Defence Value in combat. This feat can only be taken once and stacks with other feats, combat maneuevers or class features that grant a Dodge (ranged) or Parry bonus.

Favored Beast [General]
You can pick a certain class of animal, beast or magical beast that you have a special rapport with (apes, avians, horses, canines, fish, etc).
Benefit: You gain a +2 insight bonus when dealing with the selected class of animal or beast. You gain this bonus for all Animal Handling, Animal Empathy, Ride (if applicable) and other appropriate rolls, as determined by the GM. You may take this feat more than once and its effects stack if applied against a previous class of beast.

Favored Enemy [General]
Benefit:
You gain a +2 insight bonus against a class of enemy: either a specific race (including its subraces) or organization (worshippers of Set, The Black Circle, etc.). This bonus applies to attack, damage, Spot, Listen, Bluff, Sense Motive and Tracking and any other applicable rolls the GM may think valid. You may inflict the extra damage even against creatures that are normally immune to such things (such as undead or constructs). You may take this feat more than once, and its effects stack if applied against a previous class of enemy.

Ahh, I was wondering how long it would be before Thulsa's site would make it here :D I made liberal use of his stuff for my own d20 Conan campaign before Mongoose's book came out, and I still use it (I had a player take Expert Armor Use, and I let him keep it). I allow the armor to be treated as one category lighter for purposes of movement and class abilities (he went to a lot of trouble and expense to have a breastplate specially made with suede over it to both darken and muffle it).

Hi,

this is Thulsa... I've been lurking on this board for quite some time, and thought it was time to join the discussion...

It's nice to read that people actually make use of the stuff on my site. With regards to these feats, even though the credits are listed on the top of the page, I'd like to repeat that most of these feats were written up by a guy named Howard (not REH... :wink: ). I remember specifically writing up the sacrifice feats, but now of course these are nicely incorporated into the sorcery rules of the new game.

Iron_Chef: Let me just say that I've greatly enjoyed reading your posts on this board. I guess you don't mind if I update my page with your feat revisions for the Mongoose version of the rules?

- thulsa

thulsa said:
Hi,

this is Thulsa... I've been lurking on this board for quite some time, and thought it was time to join the discussion...

It's nice to read that people actually make use of the stuff on my site. With regards to these feats, even though the credits are listed on the top of the page, I'd like to repeat that most of these feats were written up by a guy named Howard (not REH... :wink: ). I remember specifically writing up the sacrifice feats, but now of course these are nicely incorporated into the sorcery rules of the new game.

Iron_Chef: Let me just say that I've greatly enjoyed reading your posts on this board. I guess you don't mind if I update my page with your feat revisions for the Mongoose version of the rules?

- thulsa

Of course you can use them! :wink: I've loved your Hyborian Age site since before the Conan RPG came out. Thanks for the praise!

Iron_Chef said:
I've loved your Hyborian Age site since before the Conan RPG came out.

I second Iron_Chefs remarks.

During our playtest for Conan, your Hyborian Age site was my number 1 resource. I adapted Tower of the Elephant God for the playtest and we had huge fun with it.

Great website.

Sam

Hi Thulsa - I posted the 'Black Wizard' class on your site, now superseded by Mongoose's Scholar. It was great to be able to use the scenario you host 'The Slaver's Caravan' for my first Conan adventure I GM'd (removing the Gorean references like the riding lizards etc). One PC, a Shemite Nomad, died when he ended up in a duel with the NPC soldieress Unegen. The other PC, a Cimmerian warrior-woman, managed to survive and she even escaped being enslaved by the evil merchant! :) The player of the Cimmerian enjoyed it, and she thought some of the twists were neat.

(Anyone interested, see: http://hyboria.xoth.net/adventures/index.htm )

Favored Enemy would be especially appropriate for Nordheimir (Aesir/Vanir blood feud), while Favored Beast would be good for Picts.

I've updated the Feats page with Iron_Chef's revisions:

http://hyboria.xoth.net/rules/new_feats.htm

- thulsa

Iron_Chef said:
Favored Enemy would be especially appropriate for Nordheimir (Aesir/Vanir blood feud), while Favored Beast would be good for Picts.

Don't forget Zingarans/Picts, Cimmerians/Picts, Cimmerians/Gundermen, Aquilonians/Picts, Bossonians/Picts... there are just so many racial rivalries, it's a great feat.

thulsa said:
I've updated the Feats page with Iron_Chef's revisions:

http://hyboria.xoth.net/rules/new_feats.htm

- thulsa

Nice. Glad to be of help! Formatting wise, might it not be easier to reference the Conan specific feats if they were in together in the same section?

Formatting wise, might it not be easier to reference the Conan specific feats if they were in together in the same section?

My original intention was to phase out all the "old" (standard D&D) rules in favor of the new ruleset. However, I've had some requests from people who would prefer to continue using the standard rules instead of Mongoose's rules, so I'm not removing the old rules.

So I'll have to think of a way to present "dual stats" where its necessary. I might split the feats page into two separate pages.

- thulsa

thulsa said:
Formatting wise, might it not be easier to reference the Conan specific feats if they were in together in the same section?

My original intention was to phase out all the "old" (standard D&D) rules in favor of the new ruleset. However, I've had some requests from people who would prefer to continue using the standard rules instead of Mongoose's rules, so I'm not removing the old rules.

So I'll have to think of a way to present "dual stats" where its necessary. I might split the feats page into two separate pages.

- thulsa

Yeah, that's what I was suggesting, and being very clear about which rules set each refers to.

Back