New Combat Maneuvers for discussion.

Beat
This is an attack type option, like a Trip.

The warrior makes a strong blow, intending to be easily parried. If the weapons meet, his target's weapon is pushed slightly out of line, which renders him vulnerable to a quick extension of the warrior's weapon into a vulnerable spot.

Mechanics: the warrior makes an attack, choosing the Beat maneuver. If the target responds with a Dodge, the target receives a +2 circumstance bonus to DV. If the target responds with a Parry roll a contest between the target's Sense Motive and the warrior's Bluff. If the target wins, the attack automatically misses. If the warrior wins, the target's total Parry Bonus, including any equipment, is halved for this attack.

Wide Sweep
This is an attack type option, like a Trip.

The warrior makes a wide, sweeping blow, difficult to dodge, but easy to parry.

Mechanics: the warrior makes an attack, choosing the Wide Sweep maneuver. If the target responds with a Parry, the target receives a +2 circumstance bonus to DV. If the target responds with a Dodge roll a contest between the target's Sense Motive and the warrior's Bluff. If the target wins, the attack automatically misses. If the warrior wins, the target's total Dodge Bonus, including any feats or magic, is halved for this attack.

Draw
This is a Move-Equivalent action.

The warrior feigns a shift of position, drawing an attack from his opponent at a percieved weakness which the warrior is actually prepared against. If the target's attack of opportunity fails, he will be left in avery vulnerable position.

Mechanics: The warrior must have an available AoO. He takes a move action, within the threatened space of his target, who must also be within his threatened space. The movement draws an AoO from the target only. If the target does not have an available AoO, or if he chooses not to use one, the Maneuver fails, but the warrior may make an additional 5-foot step, free of AoOs from the target.

If the target makes an AoO, the warrior must Dodge and must roll the defence, even if that option is not otherwise in play. (I.e., the warrior's defence value will be 1d20+dodge bonuses.)

If the warrior's defence roll is less than the target's AoO attack, the warrior is hit as normal. If the warrior's defence roll is 5 or more points less than his target's attack roll, the attack is an automatic Critical Threat. If it would have been a Critical Threat anyway, the Threat is automatically confirmed.

If the warrior's defence roll ties the target's attack roll, the blow misses. If the warrior's defence roll exceeds the target's attack roll, then the warrior receives an automatic AoO, which the target may not Dodge. If the warrior's defence roll exceeds the target's attack roll by 5 or more then the warrior receives an automatic AoO, against which the target is considered Flatfooted.

Trap
This is a Move-Equivalent action.

The warrior feigns a weakness of defence, drawing an attack from his opponent for which which the warrior is actually well prepared. If the target's attack of opportunity fails, his blade will be entirely out of position to block the counterstrike.

Mechanics: The warrior must have an available AoO. He takes a move action, within the threatened space of his target, who must also be within his threatened space. The movement draws an AoO from the target only. If the target does not have an available AoO, or if he chooses not to use one, the Maneuver fails, but the warrior may make an additional 5-foot step, free of AoOs from the target.

If the target makes an AoO, the warrior must Parry and must roll the defence, even if that option is not otherwise in play. (I.e., the warrior's defence value will be 1d20+parry bonuses.)

If the warrior's defence roll is less than the target's AoO attack, the warrior is hit as normal. If the warrior's defence roll is 5 or more points less than his target's attack roll, the attack is an automatic Critical Threat. If it would have been a Critical Threat anyway, the Threat is automatically confirmed.

If the warrior's defence roll ties the target's attack roll, the blow misses. If the warrior's defence roll exceeds the target's attack roll, then the warrior receives an automatic AoO, which the target may not Parry. If the warrior's defence roll exceeds the target's attack roll by 5 or more then the warrior receives an automatic AoO, against which the target is considered Flatfooted.

Batter Down
This is an attack option, like Sunder.

The warrior makes a strong blow which appears to be easy to parry. However, if the blades meet, it is revealed that blow actually targeted his opponent's weapon or shield.

Mechanics: the warrior makes an attack, choosing the Batter Down maneuver. If the target responds with a Dodge, the target recieves a +2 circumstance bonus to DV. If the target responds with a Parry roll a contest between the target's Sense Motive and the warrior's Bluff. If the target wins, the attack automatically misses. If the warrior wins the attack automatically hits the target's parrying weapon or shield, as if the warrior had made a successful Sunder attempt. The weapon hit will be the Shield if the target is using one, or any weapon used which grants a bonus to parry, or the target's primary weapon, if none such exist.

I think that the rules text needs a fair amount of work. I also think that Draw and Trap need some prerequisites, and that the names suck.

Better suggestions encouraged.

I have tried in the past to adopt a set of rules that would mimick the Lost Worlds combat books, and found that with Conan the RPG I could. As I mentioned in my reply to your armor thread, I have since found that less is more. We still enjoy crunchy bits in my games, but not too much. I will probably not use these ideas, but I still enjoy reading them, and can see how some might really love them.

Keep up the good work!

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Back