Neo mutts - good lookin or good lawd, what the heck is that?

Neo Mutts, good lookin or good gawd!

• Butt kickin Bull mastif-Pitt Bull cross

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trusty Blood hound

• 15 cups a day, chain smoking chiwawa with a twitch

• Total voters
According to the Starship Troopers book, which I consider to be more the source of cannon than any comic book, they are not "mutts" they are neodogs, genetically enhanced animals with the intelligence about that of a human moron. This makes them genius dogs. I doubt anyone genetically engineering these animals would allow them to be mutts.

So, a sturdy, strong breed that would be suited to a battlefied environment is the best to choose for them.

Joe

Jimesu_Evil said:
I haven't read the book, so I've just got one question: What the hell can a dog do to a bug warrior? :?

In the book? Nothing. They were mortally afraid of Bugs. oh and about the "Mutt" concept: They are genetic constructs using the best characteristics of all the top canine breeds. So they have the hearing of a Doberman, Scent Accuity of a Blood Hound and so on and so on. Hence the name MUTT.

They are not mutts if they are genetically bred for the best traits of several breeds. Mutt implies the chance crossing of just anything.

And, a neodog could conceivably destroy a bug with the suicide charge that they carried with them.

The first time neodogs were used on Klendathu, they suicided immediately on contact with the bugs. Later neodogs were indoctrinated as puppies to be used to the sight of bugs.

Joe

Jimesu_Evil said:
I haven't read the book, so I've just got one question: What the hell can a dog do to a bug warrior? :?

It's not what they can do to a bug, what can they stop the bugs from doing?

The breed should be a medium to large representing patrol dogs, they were not bred to fight bugs but could probably snap a skinny in two. The size would also allow reasonable space for an enhanced brain.

Ears should be pointed rather than drooping to represent keen hearing.

Give them a broad snout with the nose proportional, not exaggerated, to show their tracking.

Legs should be in the range of pit bulls and german shepherds, long enough to run fast but not fragile looking. A build like a weener dog would be great for searching small holes but their run speed would suffer. An average dog could go most anywhere a person, bug or most aliens could.

Overall I see them as a stocky german shepherd of medium height. Their head would be slightly broader with a proportionately shorter but wider snout.

The name? IMHO NeoMutt works fine, it matches their non breed look.

--
Lane

Lane wrote:

> It's not what they can do to a bug, what can they stop the bugs from doing?

Nothing. According to the book, they were used for scouting and recon. They report back by radio, and then troopers take action if necessary.

I would think that they could also be used for guard duty.

Joe

KhyberJoe said:
They are not mutts if they are genetically bred for the best traits of several breeds.

That's what a "mutt" is, dude. A mix of several breeds. Even your average house dog that is a combination of breeds will exhibit "smarter" tendancies. Neo-Mutt is totally appropriate and it denotes the mix of genetic make up quite well.

KhyberJoe said:
> It's not what they can do to a bug, what can they stop the bugs from doing?

Nothing. According to the book, they were used for scouting and recon.

Exactly, they act as scouts and sentry duty. In effect they prevent the bugs from sneaking up on the MI.

--
Lane

Exactly.

Mutts is a term of endearment my M.I, just like 'you ape'.

'Neomutts' are really Neodogs, or Neo Dogs, or Calebs.

Usually they're any dog - the dark horse comic had them as a mastif.

Hope that helps.

Tony

They'd have to be larger breeds to accomidate the larger brain and carry the radio gear but as they are being genetically engineered they could resemble any breed. The heightened hearing or smell of a given breed could be incoporated into them no matter what their size or appearance.

They'd hopefully remove some of the problems inherent in larger breeds, like the shorter lifespans as opposed to smaller breeds, while keeping them physically attractive to make it easier for handlers to bond with them.

I picture medium to large breeds like Border Collies, German Shepards, Black and Golden Labradors, or even Golden Retrievers over the attack dog stereotype. As their role is recon not combat the pitbull's ability to bite through an iron pipe isn't necessary for the mission. :)

>>I haven't read the book, so I've just got one question: What the hell can a dog do to a bug warrior?<<

I suppose one could sneak down a small hole into a bug nest while some troopers distract the defender bugs, drop a nuke and come back...

Ukkothedwarf said:
I suppose one could sneak down a small hole into a bug nest while some troopers distract the defender bugs, drop a nuke and come back...

It doesn't seem much of a stretch to me to order a Neodog to do that...but with 1/2 the bug army between him and his drop-point... :shock:

most dogs if allowed to go wild again and free breed wind up looking like their wild ancestors over the generations. dingo wolf coyote fox etc. dingos look like short haired chow chow spitz type dogs. wolf / coyote your shepards and dobes. fox toys. etc. my guess is they went for intelligence to start with so shepard working dogs would be your starting breed.

the neodogs were also em/telepathic bonded with their handler. bugs run on telepath control also. could be why the dogs went nutsy when bugs were around.

i took from the book that they were too sensitive to the bugs resulting in uncontrolable panic behavior. so their great combat use was lost on the bugs and downgraded them to alarms. so they stayed on earth around hq and other key spots.

also theres the offical term neodog sicon and the grunt translation neomutt sico

and im sure different dogs types were kept for specialty areas. twitchy chiuauas neodog might be the most telepathic how many times does it sense 'shut up your yapping or ill punt you'

Back