Need grammar help (REH related)

Vincent791

Mongoose
A native of Zamora is called "zamorian" by REH, but I'm not sure if it should be "zamoran", cause there is no "i" in Zamora.

I'm not trying to start something, I just want to get this thing right. English is not my first language, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

zamoran or zamorian could both be correct depending mainly on whatever the locals choose. since reh says it's zomorian, i'd say it's zamorian. same way someone from florida is a floridian.

REH uses the form Zamorian multiple times in "Tower of the Elephant." I agree with you: if the base form is Zamora, the adjective should be Zamoran, one would think. You could house-rule that Zamorian refers to people, while Zamoran refers to anything else.

I would use Zamorian, now that I think about it. I've been attempting to learn Japanese (because of my daughter's interest in it), and Zamoran strikes me as a bad spelling in that language. :)

Besides, Zamorian is more poetic. I flatter myself thinking REH thought the same. IMO.

I sure trust Bob's ear as a poet, and the irregularity of real language, more than bonehead literalness.

Back