Naming of new version of MRQ

elgrin

Mongoose
While I am glad to see that the rules are being revised and updated (especially by Loz), I am starting to feel a little uneasy about the common name being given to the new edition. It is regularly appearing referred to as RQII. Now I was playing RQII in nineteen-hundred and frozen to death. Perhaps in deference to us older (ok geriatric) players who are of an age to get easily confused, we should accept that it is MRQII and be consisent in that naming.
I appreciate that the actual original version naming got somewhat lost with Avalon-Hill and unpublished materials, but it would seem logical to keep the MRQ editions as an individually identified stream.
Any comments anyone?

elgrin

Maybe Advanced RuneQuest was a better idea (ARQ or AMRQ). But at this point the covers are already at the printer, so I doubt changing the name is an option. Old fans will refer to it as MRQ2, of course, while you will find it labeled as RQ5 on rpg.net reviews. If Mongoose calls it RQII, some (geriatric?) fans will probably complain. But I, for one, will not.

I suppose technically it's called RQII on the cover so could always use that. To be honest I doubt there'll be any situation in which it is easily confused with RQ2 by Chaosium but I'll probably end up calling it MRQ2. I've got used to MRQ.

Back