Multiple Mechanics

While the base d100 roll is unified across all of MRQ, when it comes to resolving difficulty, conflict and effectiveness, there are numerous different ways, with even more since the release of the Companion. This seems a step backwards rather than forwards to me.

Off the top of my head, without reference to the rules and without nitpicking, so far we have:

1) Higher roll is more effective (conflict resolution)
2) Look up your skill score on a table (sorcery)
3) Apply additions or subtractions (standard skill difficulty)
4) Multiple halvings (exceptional item crafting difficulty)
5) Lower roll is more effective (critical/success/failure/fumble)
6) Skill vs skill with halving (standard conflict method)
7) Skill vs skill without halving (combat method)

Maybe a definite goal for anyone doing an alternate SRD would be to unify these?

While the base d100 roll is unified across all of MRQ, when it comes to resolving difficulty, conflict and effectiveness, there are numerous different ways, with even more since the release of the Companion. This seems a step backwards rather than forwards to me.

I guess I consider it more primitive rather than a step backwards. Granted, the progressive direction is towards fewer and more flexible mechanics, but having an array of alternatives makes MRQ a good tool for GMs who want to tinker with the system. Kind of like taking a step backwards to take two steps forwards.

Back