Movement in combat

Redstone

Mongoose
Rules state that movement takes a CA. Does this mean that if you are 2m away from someone you want to attack, you have to spend one CA to move, let the opponent get a strike at you, and then you can spend your remaining CA (if you have one) to make your attack? I want to make sure I am reading the rules correctly. And if this is correct, do people actually play it that way??

Redstone said:
Rules state that movement takes a CA. Does this mean that if you are 2m away from someone you want to attack, you have to spend one CA to move, let the opponent get a strike at you, and then you can spend your remaining CA (if you have one) to make your attack? I want to make sure I am reading the rules correctly. And if this is correct, do people actually play it that way??

In this case you can charge instead, which is a combined move and attack - but leaves you open in case he has some sort of long pike or other nasty pointy thingy.

Which is pretty realistic. If you attack someone with a sword, you just run up to them and start swinging. If he has a long nasty pike, you can either charge headlong into battle (which may turn up suicidal, in case he knows how to use it) or spend additional time (1 extra CA) on carefully avoiding his pike. But, if he's unoccupied he will most likely still strike you.

- Dan

I've been giving out poker chips to players (as suggested by someone else on this board), one per meter of movement and different colors for actions. If the character is taking an action other than move, the player can still 'spend' movement chits, one chit per meter of movement. This reflects their ability to walk while doing other things.

If the character is taking a "Move" action, each chit can be 2-3 meters.

At some point I need to reconcile this against the rules' 5x maximum sprinting speed, but so far, this is working for us. Characters have enough movement to shift around the board if needed, there is a mechanism to move quickly, and the balance is working.

What I see players have their characters do is run (using a move action) to get near the action, then close more carefully the last few meters. It comes across as pretty realistic for most situations. If they want to run and engage all at once, they do a Charge action.

We use mini's and a 1" battle mat for combat encounters where 1 sq = 1 metre. Weapons with a reach of S or T can only attack from a square adjacent to the Defender (D), M and L reach weapons can attack with a 1 square gap and VL weapons with a 2 sq gap. So it looks like this:
D,S/T,M/L,VL with each group in their own squares. Combatants are also subject to the closing RAW.

With regards to the actual question, it would depend on the reach of the individuals and their weapons. But, if you have to move into range it would take a CA and be subject to closing.

2 metres is not a big difference and combatants armed with medium reach weapons or longer should be able to attack without having to use a CA to move. My reasoning is that a medium reach weapon would be approximately 1 metre in length with a half metre or so natural reach for an average sized humaniod (11-12) the remaining distance is taken up with ducking and weaving and stepping in to strike and so on.

Back