More B5 movie news....

Ghost2020

Mongoose
(from www.darkhorizons.com)

Nearly a decade on from its airing, cult sci-fi hit "Babylon 5" is finally getting a big screen film release. Spanning 110 episodes, five made for TV movies and a short-lived "Crusade" spin-off series, "Babylon 5" was one of the more unique shows on television when it aired back in the mid-90's thanks to creator J. Michael Straczynski's planning out of all the show's key events before even starting the pilot.

As a result it was a show that was so rich in its mythology that there were practically no stand-alone episodes, every one contributed in a small or big way to overall story and character arcs. Visions and dreams in the first or second season came true in the third or fourth and much like "Lost" now, the first two years revolved around a mystery which in this case was an ancient race called the Shadows whom eventually everyone went into war with.

Now, Production Weekly reports that Steven Beck will direct the JMS-penned theatrical feature "The Memory of Shadows" starting this April in the UK. In it, the technology left over by the now gone Shadow race has been found and is being used by an unknown force. Earth Intelligence Officer Diane Baker, whose brother was recently killed in a mysterious explosion, is out to uncover the intergalactic conspiracy.

Helping her will be Galen, the "Crusade" character and techno-mage who has been charged with keeping the technology out of others hands. No word yet on whether the likes of Bruce Boxleitner, Mira Furlan Peter Jurasik, Andreas Katsulas, Tracey Scoggins or any of the show's cast members will make cameos.

You know, I'm going to be a bit disppointed if, after all of these years of waiting for a B5 movie, we end up following the adventures of some unknown, never-seen before character. While it will probably be decent I have no interest in another new character. Let me see Lyta, or Sheridan, or Sinclair, or G'Kar, or Gideon, etc, etc.

Frankly, I don't want the major recurring character to be a sidekick for the newbie. Give me a Galen movie and skip the filler.

However, I've heard that this synopsis might be a sham, so we'll see.

Matt

Personally, I would like to see more of the Anla'shpk. I have no idea why they made the 'Crusade' spin-off when 'Legend of the Rangers' did so well and would have made for a better spin-off. 'Crusade just seemed too 'Star Trek' to me. Don't get me wrong, I like Star Trek but if I want to watch it I will pop in one of my Star Trek tapes or DVDs. When I watch Babalon 5 I want something with the Babalon 5 feel, which Crusade did not have,

EricRoss said:
Personally, I would like to see more of the Anla'shpk. I have no idea why they made the 'Crusade' spin-off when 'Legend of the Rangers' did so well and would have made for a better spin-off. 'Crusade just seemed too 'Star Trek' to me. Don't get me wrong, I like Star Trek but if I want to watch it I will pop in one of my Star Trek tapes or DVDs. When I watch Babalon 5 I want something with the Babalon 5 feel, which Crusade did not have,

What you have to remember is that the Crusade story line is the one jms wanted to tell. If Legends of the Rangers had made it to a series, in its second season it would have whole heartedly embraced the Crusade plot line and seen it resolved (he stated as much at the time).

frobisher wrote this...What you have to remember is that the Crusade >>story line is the one jms wanted to tell. If Legends of the Rangers had >>made it to a series, in its second season it would have whole heartedly >>embraced the Crusade plot line and seen it resolved (he stated as >>much at the time).

I've heard a very similar things about crusade and TLOTR. Unfortunately those running things can never see the importance of continiuity. That is one thing JMS has always tried to maintain within the Babylon 5 universe! Something very few Scifi shows before had ever tried.

I will be happy with whatever we get, as long as it is what JMS wanted. Lately, I realize that I'm as much a fan of JMS as I ever was of B5. If he writes a story about love sick sea-urchins fighting for their right to hold square dances in Bosnia, I want to see it.

I want more B5 stuff. I want Legend of the Rangers to make it into Region 1 or 2 DVD.

LBH
(Almost giving in to buying the B5 movies Region 1 soon to get the first 2 commentaries)

lastbesthope said:
LBH
(Almost giving in to buying the B5 movies Region 1 soon to get the first 2 commentaries)

I did and I received it quite recently!

I have to say that I am QUITE happy with my decision to buy the R1 release. The commentaries are really woth it !

(and it is read without problems in a R2 player...)

I think I'll do the same for Crusade.

;)

petitbilbo

Drakor_alive said:
I've seen many quotes saying they wont bee Re-casting

Which would be nice; The things we do know for certain is that will be recasting Galen (due to availability of Peter Woodward (shame :()), Tracey Scroggins is confirmed as Captain Lochely, and they won't be recasting Dr Franklin and the character didn't feature in the script that is to be filmed.

No Peter Woodward? Aw man, that sucks. You can't change actors. Delay the filming till he is available!

Yeah, I know how impractical that is, but damn! :cry:

Peter Woodward was an amazing actor they really need to wait until he is available or try to get someone who is as good as he was (but it is unlikely to get someone as good as he was)

No Edward Woodward! Denied! :cry: I really liked his Galen. Maybe they could get Richard O'Brien instead :wink:

Thougbh they could get Edward Woodward to reprise his role of Alwyn from "The Long Road".

LBH

Aramanthus said:
Hmmmm........ I guess we'll have to sit and judge it when it comes out.

i just cant wait that long
is it just me or am i extremely impatient?
(then again we are talking about waiting for the B5 movie to come out so you can excuse me for not wanting to wait much longer)

As soona s I get paid at the end of the month (just before the tourney) I'm ordering the R2 Crusade DVDs and then that's all of B5 bar TLotR and TMoS (And they're not out yet :wink: )

LBH

Any idea how long the movie takes place after Crusade? Was the virus issue ever wrapped up?

Just wondering..

thanks

Mike

Back