Misfit Publishing's "OGL Barbarian" products

Oh, come on! Everyone knows that Stygian scholars have long since proven that barbarism is caused by the right side of the brain, making barbarians south paws. :D

The King said:
This was no complaining but I just noticed the sword in his left hand. Curious that you aren't left-handed because the other barbarian drawing of that demo also has an axe in his left hand. :lol:

I've seen that a lot. It happens when an artist habitually uses a mirror for a reference instead of models.

I'd like to add that Misfit was lucky to get such a good artist. Solid work.

Steve Conan Trustrum said:
Oh, come on! Everyone knows that Stygian scholars have long since proven that barbarism is caused by the right side of the brain, making barbarians south paws. :D

That can be the new tagline for the barbaric OGL - "which side do YOU swing from?"

sbarrie - thanks for the kudos - I'm glad you like it!

sbarrie said:
I'd like to add that Misfit was lucky to get such a good artist. Solid work.
Shawn's a very easy and talented artist to work with -- I can't recommend him enough.

Shawn Richter said:
... I hope you like it anyway (not complaining could = meh, I can take it or leave it) I draw this stuff because I remember seeing a Frazetta or a Buscema (and now Cary Nord - MY current favourite CONAN artist!) and thinking how cool it looked and how I felt I was on the edge of the room, just watching this scene! Now I try to give others that feeling.
Your art is pretty indeed; you should apply for a job at Mongoose, sincerely. :wink:
But you also should draw right-handed folks. :lol:

However to be left-handed in a world of right-handed provides a kind of advantage: we know the movements of the right-handed but always surprise our adversaries with drives (in table tennis for instance).

Steve Conan Trustrum said:
Could be, but Stygians are more barbaric than Cimmerians: they practice human sacrifice and worship an animal deity. So I wonder if their guess is true. :wink:

Anyway if you have in mind to publish scenarios for Conan RPG or say any other OGL barbarian game, then I jump on them. Hope you will also release some printed version.

Well now that I have that "token" left-handed sea devil and hawkeye out of the way, the next character I draw can be right handed.

Just representin my bro's peeps, yo! (My brother actually IS left handed)
I don't want to be accused of anti-leftitism after all.

Jason Durall said:
You know, you might want to rethink that tagline...

Yeah, I could see where that could send the wrong message about the product ... 8)

Just as a quick note to you guys - the word "available" has a typo on the demos on rpgnow.com of two of the prestige classes, maybe all of them.

It's not a big deal, but if you're asking people to pay for 3 page game expansions, it helps to have all the words spelled right. Just looks a bit sloppy.

Sorry, it's my proofreader background popping up...

Jason Durall said:
Just as a quick note to you guys - the word "available" has a typo on the demos on rpgnow.com of two of the prestige classes, maybe all of them.

It's not a big deal, but if you're asking people to pay for 3 page game expansions, it helps to have all the words spelled right. Just looks a bit sloppy.

Sorry, it's my proofreader background popping up...
Argh. My fault because I do the demo content extraction directly in InDesign and a typo had it read "availalbe." Fixed.

Because it's in the sentence "Not available in the demonstration version," though, it has no affect on the purchased copies.

heh... that's twice as funny to me, since my brother (who is left handed) is a devout christian, and we do get into it from time to time...
Yeah, i wanted him to look really evil and magical - if you look closely you'll see the snake is actually his tattoo coming to life!
Steven was really open with what he wanted, giving me only a bare bones description of each character - a jumping off point, if you will. That's why these pdf's have been so much fun to work on. And I hope that enthusiasm for the source material (the Hyborian style setting) comes through in the art. I can definitely see it in the writing (hey, his middle name ain't Conan for nothing!)

In fact I like your pictures. You could also draw stereotypes of all races and classes to illustrate some OGL Barbarian sourcebook.
I find the Conan core book has too few pictures, so it would be an excellent complement. 8)

Back