Misfit Publishing's "OGL Barbarian" products

A

Anonymous

It appears another company has unofficially jumped on the OGL Conan bandwagon. Misfit Studios now has two products from its "OGL Barbarian" line up on RPGNow.com. The description of the line leaves little doubt that they are meant for use with the Conan rules, though of course the name is never used.

The products so far are both prestige classes, a "Sea Devil" for Viking-type raiders (perhaps a better sea-option for Nordheimr characters than the standard Pirate) and a "Hawkeye" that specializes in thrown weapons.

Haven't bought them yet to see what they're like, but I'm sorely tempted. (Wish they were alternate core classes rather than prestige classes, though, just because Conan seems to do so well without many PrCs.)

Has anyone actually bought these who could give us a short review?

Deadstop
deadstop@wombatzone.com

Certainly true. But as I said, I'm pretty sure this line is all about stealth Conan material. Or is there another set of "popular OGL barbaric rules" out there?

You're right that I won't know for sure whether it's Conan-specific (with Parry and Dodge bonuses, etc.) until I buy, or until someone else pipes up to say for sure. But the description and iconography, to me, all point toward these products being usable with the Conan RPG.

Deadstop

Take a look at the Demo Version! I think you can tell from the column headers in this table that it is designed for use with Conan!

Also If you take a look at their logo, you can tell who is peering over that shield. ;)

Table 1-2: The Sea Devil
Level
Base Attack Bonus
Base Dodge Bonus
Base Parry Bonus
Magic Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

Deadstop said:
The products so far are both prestige classes, a "Sea Devil" for Viking-type raiders (perhaps a better sea-option for Nordheimr characters than the standard Pirate) and a "Hawkeye" that specializes in thrown weapons.

If you want to buy something, save your money and buy the class books when they come out. You can build those characters without resorting to a "prestige class" or even a new core class.

MightyCthulhu said:
Take a look at the Demo Version! I think you can tell from the column headers in this table that it is designed for use with Conan!

Also If you take a look at their logo, you can tell who is peering over that shield.
Your are both right. I didn't see the demo version. Unofficial Conan material.
However I didn't know that Conan was left-handed. :wink:

Vincent,

Thanks anyway.

OT: BTW, I noticed that your location has you in Indiana. Where abouts? I used to live up there in Indianapolis and then a little town called Paoli, until I left in 1979.

We are indeed using the same OGL system as Conan. Being a huge fan of Howard's Conan (as should be obvious from the nickname) and a gamer and writer enjoying Mongoose's rpg since it was first released, it was a natural step to produce PDFs that could be used in games using it's OGC system elements.

Steve Conan Trustrum said:
We are indeed using the same OGL system as Conan. Being a huge fan of Howard's Conan (as should be obvious from the nickname) and a gamer and writer enjoying Mongoose's rpg since it was first released, it was a natural step to produce PDFs that could be used in games using it's OGC system elements.

That's Great news Steve. Can you tell us anything about what other Conan supplements Misfits have in the works?

MightyCthulhu said:
That's Great news Steve. Can you tell us anything about what other Conan supplements Misfits have in the works?
I have plenty of ideas in line for OGL Barbarian, but I won't go into details here so as not to use another company's board to push my stuff. If you want details, please ask me at the Misfit boards, RPG.net, or feel free to email at trustrum@misfit-studios.com

Steve Conan Trustrum said:

Very cool. But we don't need more rules, we need fast-paced, hard-hitting adventures, dammit!

I don't really care for Pestige Classes, but I may grab the PDFs and scavenge them for adventure ideas, feat chains and combat maneuvers. US$1.25 isn't much to satisfy my curiosity...

sbarrie said:
Very cool. But we don't need more rules, we need fast-paced, hard-hitting adventures, dammit!

I don't really care for Pestige Classes, but I may grab the PDFs and scavenge them for adventure ideas, feat chains and combat maneuvers. US$1.25 isn't much to satisfy my curiosity...
Always glad to please a fellow Canuck!

The King said:
However I didn't know that Conan was left-handed. :wink:
Hey there, I drew the thing and uh... aw crap.
Well, maybe he is and maybe he isn't. I like to think of him as ambidextrous... as in he'll cleave you with either hand.
Too bad we weren't doing a Princess Bride pdf... "there is something I think you should know... I am not left handed!"
Oh well. Better planning next time.
As for the pdf, hey what can I say, I love REH's stuff, it was a thrill to work on with Steven (who is a tremendous writer btw!) I hope you like my etchings...

This was no complaining but I just noticed the sword in his left hand. Curious that you aren't left-handed because the other barbarian drawing of that demo also has an axe in his left hand. :lol:
As I said there is no complaining about it, I am left-handed too, though not a barbarian, but king and sometimes magician it seems.

Heh, that's funny. I guess I don't pay attention to where I put things when I'm not using reference! That probably doesn't matter too much in this situation, but I also do sequential art, so I'm going to have to be more careful in that regard. And sharp-eyed readers will notice (as you did). I hope you like it anyway (not complaining could = meh, I can take it or leave it) I draw this stuff because I remember seeing a Frazetta or a Buscema (and now Cary Nord - MY current favourite CONAN artist!) and thinking how cool it looked and how I felt I was on the edge of the room, just watching this scene! Now I try to give others that feeling.
Speaking of magicians, a friend of mine who does close up magic offered to come sit at my table at the Toronto Comicon and PERFORM all day or maybe the whole weekend! I'm excited 'cause I love to see this guy do tricks... he's AMAZING! So it's a treat for me and he can keep people occupied while I do sketches. Which takes the focus off me, so i can put better effort into the work. i love going to comic conventions... there's such a great vibe (most of the time!) i'm really looking forward to this one.

Bjorn the Barbarian said:
Vincent,

OT: BTW, I noticed that your location has you in Indiana. Where abouts? I used to live up there in Indianapolis and then a little town called Paoli, until I left in 1979.

Columbus, IN.

Back