MINIATURES

gav

Mongoose
I was wondering on any updates about the minis? Also, what would people like to see in the box sets?
It seems there are plenty of companys out there that produce the typical fantasy barbarians, but there is little out there that produce the other Hyborian races :?

I've taken pictures of my painted mini's for conan...I wish I could post them somewhere for you to see. Reaper does do excellent barbarians - readily useable for Conan.

Arkobla

Try photobucket.com - it is free to sign up and very easy to use. I used it to post some Warhammer pics and it took less than an 1/2 hour total. 8)

One thing about these miniatures worries me. What makes these different from the number of other barbarian, warrior, wizard, theif, armored, and unarmored figures that are currently on the market?

It seems to me that some degree of uniqueness must be added to these figures or else they will be nothing more then the standards we've come to know with the name"Conan" stamped on them.

Very good point. I wonder who is designing them? Im sure everyone has a different vision of what some races look like. I personaly would prefer the figures to be based on history with a slight fantasy twist. I would also like to see picts and hyrkanians and Stygians as I find these hard to locate on the net. Barbarians you can get from almost all miniature companies. Perhaps they could release box sets based on different geographical areas?

Mythos said:
It seems to me that some degree of uniqueness must be added to these figures or else they will be nothing more then the standards we've come to know with the name"Conan" stamped on them.

Couldn't you also say "What makes a Warhammer Wood Elf a Warhammer Wood Elf?"

Hi guys,

These are still a little way off yet but I can say that we have full access to all the design material currently being compiled for the new Conan film. Oh, will it blow your socks off :)

Were you supposed to say that Matt? (lol) I regularly watch superherohype and cinescape and havent' heard of a Conan movie development in the design phase. Way cool...

I'd say that Foundry makes great Byzantines and Greeks and Romans and Pirates and whatever historical time period dudes you could want. One problem with them though is that I believe that figs are only purchasable in blisters of 6-8. However, many character blisters (like Viking Characters, for example) are really fantastic for individualized PC and NPCs and are almost always fantastic sculpts.

Check 'em out at www.wargamesfoundry.com.

I have a few foundry figures and they are excellent. I would also recommend the Perry twins who I believe used to work for Foundry and I have just found a company Artisan Designs [ i think] that have a range that could be used for Shemites/Turanians[ I believe the designer for Artisan also used to work for Foundry]. As yet I still have not found a range to use for Hyrkanians.
I am also very excited to hear that Mongoose have access to the designs of a new film. Does Matt know wether the animation project is still going ahead?

Bjorn the Barbarian said:
NEW CONAN MOVIE!!! Where, when, and who's doing it?
I have not heard anything about a new Conan movie.

Supposedily they talked with Triple H the WWE wrestler about playing Conan possibly........ thought I saw some articles at the official Conan webpage.

Will look up the link when I get home tonight.

Arkobla Conn said:
I've taken pictures of my painted mini's for conan...I wish I could post them somewhere for you to see. Reaper does do excellent barbarians - readily useable for Conan.

Would love to see some of your paintings. It's been so long since I painted miniatures that I have over 100 non painted ones now so I doubt I'll ever catch up....would pay someone to paint them for me at a reasonable price....

Would love to see some of your paintings. It's been so long since I painted miniatures that I have over 100 non painted ones now so I doubt I'll ever catch up....
(Lando the Archmagi)

Ahhh, the Silver Legions! See how they grow!

Re. Hyrkanians - how about using some Ottoman Sipahis or Delis?

I'm going to try the suggestion above about the free site this weekend and see if I can post them. I think a few turned out fairly well. I'm not big on deep and heavy shadowing, but they are fair and serve my purposes well.

This is a test....I'll point to my other pics when I figure it out...

This is Raz and Company from my Ancient Mes Campaign

RazCompany.jpg

Note - the camera is a Finepix 3800 and it picks up more detail than our eyes can I think...

I use a shiny coat on my mini's cause I like it...but it comes up not as good with a flash as I'd prefer.

As I stated, I'm not much into shadowing yet.

Here's a VERY helpful painting tip. Before you put on your glossy sealant, dip the mini in a dark waterbase woodstain. It'll shade your minis automatically. I used to paint Warhammer armies and I use this method to make a lot of minis look great in a brief time. It's also simple enough for anyone to do!

It'll save you a lot of time, it covers any mistakes you made (as the stain settles between the 'lines'), and really brings detail out in your minis. You'll look like a pro!

Here's a website demonstrating the technique
http://www.thelastalliance.com/index.php?pid=article&articlefilename=paintingdointhedip&catid=1&subid=2&artilceid=95

Bullbear is correct, that is a very handy way to paint lots of figs fast. When I'm painting special characters I prefer to NOT use washes and instead layer each shade of color ontop of the previous colour. This allows the variations in colour and shading to be seen from a greater distance than just up-close. The only time I use washes, is when I want to show a specific type of texture - wet or oily.

-Hollywood

Back