Mindshield

KaiLord

Mongoose
Barring the access it grants to raising shields in Psychic Combat, of what use is Mindshield in and of itself? That is, only Kai Lords can use Mindblast (I've yet to read the creature description of a monster that can), so wouldn't it only be useful if attacked by another Kai Lord?

Are there other creatures or classes out there that have access to different sorts of Mindblast effects (such as a special attack, rated as equiv. to Tier IV Mindblast)? The closest thing I can find is the Unnerving Gaze of a Vordak, which is basically rendered useless by Psi-Screen Tier I.

Thanks for any input...

KL

I have thought about this also, it troubles me as well. Maybe there is coming more monsters and classes in Magic of Magnamund that can utilize minblast?

Mindshield (and Psi Shield for that matter) does a couple of things at current

MindShield
1. Blocks any Mindblast effect equal to the Tier of the shield or lower
2. Adds +1 to the Kai Lord's will save per Tier
3. Blocks the following special attacks from Darkspawn or Right-Handed Magic

Darkspawn
Level 4 blocks Fear Feeding of Mind Reaper

Right Handed Magic
Path of Kraushnith
Level 4 of Mindshield negates Bitter Caress (Tier 1 spell of Path of Kraushnith)

Path of Naar
Level 3 of Mindshield negates Mind Grasp (Tier 1 spell of Path of Naar)
Level 5 of Mindshield negates Chain the Will (Tier 2 spell of Path of Naar)

Path of Tharrayn
Level 4 negates Derange (Tier 1 spell of Path of Tharrayn due to the constant psychic shield) and Level 2 will negate it if the Kai Lord creates the shield

Level 4 Mindshield (or enabled Level 2 psychic shield) gives a +3 bonus to save vs. Vicious Mania (Tier II spell of Path of Tharrayn)

Path of Vurnos
None

Path of Xhagvash
None

Psi-Shield
Grants 1 point of Damage Resistance vs psychic attacks per Tier.
Blocks Psi-Surge disciplines equal to level of shield

vs Darkspawn
Level 1 blocks Unnerving gaze of Vordak

vs Right Handed Magic
Path of Kraushnith
Level 1 blocks Withdrawl (Tier II of Path of Kraushnith)

Path of Naar
Level 3 of Psi-Screen blocks Naar's Domination (Tier III spell of Path of Naar)

No effect on any other Darkspawn or Right-Handed Paths.

I would honestly think (and did when I wrote it) that the +1 to Will saves at each tier would be enough, especially given the other benefits as listed below. I am in no hurry to make it even MORE effective given how powerful the Kai Lord already is.

That said, there is another class coming up (possibly in Warriors of Magnamund, potentially called Might of Magnamund in keeping with the Magic of Magnamund book) with access to the Midblast discipline. More on that (or even the offical approval of the book) I cannot say...

Cheers,
-August

Stormcrow the White Wolf said:
Mindshield (and Psi Shield for that matter) does a couple of things at current

MindShield
1. Blocks any Mindblast effect equal to the Tier of the shield or lower
2. Adds +1 to the Kai Lord's will save per Tier
3. Blocks the following special attacks from Darkspawn or Right-Handed Magic

Darkspawn
Level 4 blocks Fear Feeding of Mind Reaper

Right Handed Magic
Path of Kraushnith
Level 4 of Mindshield negates Bitter Caress (Tier 1 spell of Path of Kraushnith)

Path of Naar
Level 3 of Mindshield negates Mind Grasp (Tier 1 spell of Path of Naar)
Level 5 of Mindshield negates Chain the Will (Tier 2 spell of Path of Naar)

Path of Tharrayn
Level 4 negates Derange (Tier 1 spell of Path of Tharrayn due to the constant psychic shield) and Level 2 will negate it if the Kai Lord creates the shield

Level 4 Mindshield (or enabled Level 2 psychic shield) gives a +3 bonus to save vs. Vicious Mania (Tier II spell of Path of Tharrayn)

Path of Vurnos
None

Path of Xhagvash
None

Psi-Shield
Grants 1 point of Damage Resistance vs psychic attacks per Tier.
Blocks Psi-Surge disciplines equal to level of shield

vs Darkspawn
Level 1 blocks Unnerving gaze of Vordak

vs Right Handed Magic
Path of Kraushnith
Level 1 blocks Withdrawl (Tier II of Path of Kraushnith)

Path of Naar
Level 3 of Psi-Screen blocks Naar's Domination (Tier III spell of Path of Naar)

No effect on any other Darkspawn or Right-Handed Paths.

Anyone ever hear of 'Psychic Awareness (attack)' people? lots of things have it, including helghasts, high-level dessi, vordaks, and others.

Valon, please re-read my initial post: I know Psychic Attack exists and that creatures that possess Willpower in their description can use it. However, forget all about Psychic Combat as detailed in the combat chapter.

I was curious about the effects of Mindshield all by itself, since only Kai have Mindblast. Stormcrow's answers made me go look in my Darklands sourcebook at places I had only skimmed over before.

August, thanks for the answer and the potential teaser. :) Let's all hope for approval.

KL, who knows that mindshields and windshields keep nasty things from getting to you

Back