MgT2e Sensor Types

seancscott

Mongoose
The Core Rulebook pg.151 defines all the listed sensor types except EM. I'm guessing Electro-Magnetic but can we please get an official definition with some examples.
HG2e pg. 19 gives us the Sensors (Basic, Civilian, etc.) and the Suites (LIDAR, RADAR; Jammers, LIDAR, RADAR; etc.) but no mention of EM in the Suites or a definition of Jammers and their effect on gameplay. May we please get an official clarification.

Thanks!

seancscott said:
The Core Rulebook pg.151 defines all the listed sensor types except EM. I'm guessing Electro-Magnetic but can we please get an official definition with some examples.
I would assume EM means Electro-Magnetic too.

seancscott said:
HG2e pg. 19 gives us the Sensors (Basic, Civilian, etc.) and the Suites (LIDAR, RADAR; Jammers, LIDAR, RADAR; etc.) but no mention of EM in the Suites or a definition of Jammers and their effect on gameplay. May we please get an official clarification.
See the Electronic Warfare action (Core, p161). While we can use any sensor package to perform the action, the more advanced types gives a better DM, and the dedicated ECM Suites (HG, pp41) gives even better DMs.

As things stand, the descriptions of sensor types are more or less for flavour - mechanically, everything gets handled by the Electronics (sensors) check, so the actual nature of the results are down to the referee.

However, this is indeed an area of the game that has been pegged for expansion.

@Matt - So something like the passive EMS from the MT World builders handbook p. 10 would be available as start of the Basic sensors?

Are there rules for long range like a parasec away sensor readings for like exploration?

qstor said:
@Matt - So something like the passive EMS from the MT World builders handbook p. 10 would be available as start of the Basic sensors?

Are there rules for long range like a parasec away sensor readings for like exploration?

The Great Rift supplement has rules for deep space exploration. Haven’t seen it myself but should be worth a look.

A bit off-topic but we have always forgotten to apply the sensor DMs during non-combat situations. I’ve house-ruled out the Core sensor DMs completely and have given each type of sensor package an effective range band, like weapons. DM+1 per range band closer, DM-1 per range band farther; you can upgrade if you have a few tons and some creds to spare. We do this also with energy weapons at all scales. We haven’t done an exploration campaign so I haven’t really looked at multi-parsec implications yet.

As far as specific elements of a sensor package, I kind of lean on MegaTraveller too, all ships have standard EMS (electromagnetic spectrum) and radar/comms as a minimum. Once you have a hull and a bridge/cockpit you automatically have the worst/cheapest package from Core, sort of, which I call a Basic package (EMS, radar, radio comms; Medium range). Each successive upgrade adds a range band and a capability.

qstor said:

As things stand, the former would be up to the referee. For the latter, The Great Rift set is the one for you!

Back