would you pay for metal flight stands?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Khaine1

Mongoose
A lot of the old AOG minis came with Metal flight stands. I thought these things were the best thing since sliced bread. No problems with snapped off flightstands! Worst case they bent, and could be bent back.

Please please! Mongoose, make metal flight stands! Even if its a addon booster pack. I know i would pay extra to make sure my octurian doesnt break!

on a related note, anyone have any they want to get rid of? i will take em :)

Personally, I hated them. Great heavy ugly cartwheels that stuck out like sore thumbs.

You might be able to buy them from the old AoG sales site.

Wulf

i dont mean flight stands for fighters....i mean the metal sticks instead of the plastic stick that holds up your battleships and cruisers! Yes cartwheels of death sucked.

Wulf Corbett said:
Personally, I hated them. Great heavy ugly cartwheels that stuck out like sore thumbs.

You might be able to buy them from the old AoG sales site.

I don't think those were what he meant (though they were bad, I prefer the plastic ones) but the normal flying stand which AOG did metal versions of - they also sucked in my opinion and the plastic ones worked better.

Khaine1 said:
i dont mean flight stands for fighters....i mean the metal sticks instead of the plastic stick that holds up your battleships and cruisers!
Ah, now those you CAN buy from the old AoG site.
http://www.agentsofgaming.com/ob5misc.htm

Scroll down past the pretty Ancients.

Wulf

isnt AOG Defunct? i noticed their store was still up, but right on their main page it says everything is gone and wont be filling orders. I dont quite understand.

I would order those stands if i knew i wasnt throwing my money away to a non existant company.

Secondly the original AOG releases had the stems for the flight stands exactly as they were in plastic, that fit into the flightstand circular hole. the ones on the page are slottabase style, which kinda sucks

AOG itself doesn't exist, but the guy who ran it? or whatever he did bought the stock up, and still sells whats left through the old AOG site

I'm not overly fussed about plastic or metal stands, my Bin Tak one snaps regularly, but then thats one damned heavy model but the rest have been fine.. .... what i REALLY want, is the holes and stands to be the same damn size!!

Strange to put commercial link from Aog on Mongoose site
Isn't it ?

:?

Perhaps some will order the ancient box from Aog and not from Mongoose in a few monthes

Pauly_D said:
actually i cant stand plastic stands on most of the models, they just snap so easily.

I've lost soooo many plastic stands because of this. And the metal ones from AoG were poor, at best. I don't know how many stupid little plastic stubs I had to drill out of my minis.

l33tpenguin said:
Pauly_D said:
actually i cant stand plastic stands on most of the models, they just snap so easily.

I've lost soooo many plastic stands because of this. And the metal ones from AoG were poor, at best. I don't know how many stupid little plastic stubs I had to drill out of my minis.

Thin I am going to make my own stands too, since superglue makes the platic brittle. I'm also going to make the flight stands at different lengths, to add more dimension to the fleet when deployed.

What I'm doing is this:

I'm casting the disks in resin, with a metal washer set in them while they set to add weight. I'm using either alluminum or copper rods (cheap at hobby lobby) as the stands. I'm cutting them different lenghts as well, but standardized. Patrol level ships will be about 1 inch and on up to war level ships sitting around 5 inches high. This not only gives some depth to the fleet, it also makes it easy to pick out different PLs of ships. I'm also adding some customization to the bases that will probably have you all drooling once I get them done and post pics.

There is also some pics of the mods I did with the fighters, cutting off the little posts and making my own stands for them.

Khaine1 said:
isnt AOG Defunct? i noticed their store was still up, but right on their main page it says everything is gone and wont be filling orders. I dont quite understand.
AoG is indeed defunct. Note the writeup on this page:
http://www.agentsofgaming.com/oshop.htm
The store does work, I got a few extra items in just on Tuesday.

Wulf

Elessar said:
Strange to put commercial link from Aog on Mongoose site
Isn't it ?
It's not AoG, it's a private sale of former AoG stock. And...
Perhaps some will order the ancient box from Aog and not from Mongoose in a few monthes
If they do, they'll waste money... everything sold by both is cheaper from Mongoose! They sell metal flight stands, Mongoose doesn't. They still sell FA minis, Mongoose doesn't.

Wulf

Be wary of their metal flight stands. The ones I had back in B5W were 'meh' at best. took some work to get them to fit both the base and the ship correctly.

I dont like the metal stands personally. They are much harder to work with than the plastic ones, plus I dont have to prime and paint the plastic. Of course my fleet is all FA. For the larger full scale minis I can imagine that metal would be good to hold them up.

One thing I found on the plastic that helps alot is making sure you trim the smaller tip down on the stand. This allows alot more contact with the model and makes it less likely to break off.

l33tpenguin said:
Be wary of their metal flight stands. The ones I had back in B5W were 'meh' at best. took some work to get them to fit both the base and the ship correctly.

I love my dremmel.

Back