merchant class?

ansiaaa

Mongoose
it may be a dumb question, dunno... one of my players wants to create an argossean merchant. but i really can't find a merchant class. why is that? is it me or isnt there a merchant class at all?
 

Trodax

Mongoose
No, there isn't a merchant class.

I think that the Scholar could probably emulate a merchant fairly well though (by taking extra skills instead of spells). Maybe throw in a little multiclassing with Pirate, Thief or Noble, and you'd be good to go.
 

ansiaaa

Mongoose
Trodax said:
No, there isn't a merchant class.

I think that the Scholar could probably emulate a merchant fairly well though (by taking extra skills instead of spells). Maybe throw in a little multiclassing with Pirate, Thief or Noble, and you'd be good to go.

yep that's what i was going for. even if i understand that the conan rpg is for adventurous characters, i find the lack of a merchant class in the official rules a bit odd!
not only nobles like adventures, and i think traders and merchants might have a harder life during their tradings and commerces!
the merchant class i was thinkin about infact is not devoted only to commerce, but also travelling and more than just a bit of self-defence! :)
 

Samvail1

Mongoose
You might want to take a look at the Messantia Box set. That includes a new Prestige Class called Merchant Prince.

These are the requirements for becoming a Merchant Prince PrC.

Race: A character must either be a native-born son of Argos, or he must seek out the sponsorship of a native Merchant House, which will allow him entry. A character may also marry in to one of the Merchant Houses.
Class Ability: Title, Social Ability
Reputation: 20+
Skills: Diplomacy 6 ranks, Knowledge (local) 6 ranks
Special: No merchant of any status may practice their trade legally in Messantia without belonging to one or more guilds. See Book I: Games Master’s Guide for more on the guilds a character may join.

I agree, trade and industry doesn't make for a particularly Conanesque 'High Adventure' games, but there you go.

Cheers

Sam
 

ansiaaa

Mongoose
Samvail1 said:
You might want to take a look at the Messantia Box set. That includes a new Prestige Class called Merchant Prince.

These are the requirements for becoming a Merchant Prince PrC.

Race: A character must either be a native-born son of Argos, or he must seek out the sponsorship of a native Merchant House, which will allow him entry. A character may also marry in to one of the Merchant Houses.
Class Ability: Title, Social Ability
Reputation: 20+
Skills: Diplomacy 6 ranks, Knowledge (local) 6 ranks
Special: No merchant of any status may practice their trade legally in Messantia without belonging to one or more guilds. See Book I: Games Master’s Guide for more on the guilds a character may join.

thanks, messantia is in my "to buy soon" list!

Samvail1 said:
I agree, trade and industry doesn't make for a particularly Conanesque 'High Adventure' games, but there you go.
Cheers
Sam

yep. a couple of players have a generic-fantasy background, so i believe they still have to get the conanesque style of the hyborian world.
that's why i didnt refuse the merchant character, even if i'll have the last word on its background since the player isn't very familiar with howard.
i think i'll post the class stats on the forum if anyone is interested. i must check the merchant prince PrC first, but an "adventurous merchant" may come very handy for some npc's.
 
To be a merchant, all one really needs is some ranks in Profession (merchant), as well as in Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information and Sense Motive. Skill Focus feats in those skills will help, as will feats such as Negotiator. No need for an actual class. Any will do, including Commoner.
 

The King

Cosmic Mongoose
At this time merchants are also some kind of explorers who could work for the Nemedian wises (those who write the Nemedian Chronicles). Just think of Marco Polo.
Most also must have some sense of organization (to know the number of guards, drivers and mounts they need to carry all their stuffs).
 

Diabolus

Mongoose
I had created a Conan variant on the Expert Class for my Wilderlands Campaign that allowed for it to be used for Merchants, Concubines, Engineers, Sailors, and Athletes etc.

The basic idea was an expert specialization that provided a competence bonus to a family of skills and feats similar to how Nobles have regional bonuses.

Here
 

argo

Mongoose
Why not simply take levels of Noble? Explain the Title ability as the character's prestige derived from the power of business assoications ("you'll never work in this town again!") and your good to go. A heroic "Merchant" character is fundamentally a character based around social manipulation and the Noble is the class for social manipulation in conan.

Or dosen't the phrase "merchant prince" mean anything anymore? :wink:

Hope that helps.
 
Top