Mercenary Campaign Recruitment

I just saw this post so I am very late in my reply.
I would love to play depending on the day/evening.
TL 12 is fine for average equipment, but seeing as I have always hated the 1970's concept of a laser pistol with an extension cord...., could we use one or two items from TL 13, a laser weapon that uses power clips in stead of power packs with extension cords?

Liam Devlin said:
PS: It also contains a more in-depth explanation of the repatriation clauses--or better defined clauses that a Merc unit may take to withdraw from a contract with its honor and reputation intact when the op goes per-shaped for reasons not of their own making, with of course as many of their personnel that can leave the field... :wink: :twisted:

Interesting might have to look at that one... when we have some pennies.. unless you want to trade art...

Jak Nazryth said:
TL 12 is fine for average equipment, but seeing as I have always hated the 1970's concept of a laser pistol with an extension cord...., could we use one or two items from TL 13, a laser weapon that uses power clips in stead of power packs with extension cords?

Also, what's wrong with corded lasers. How else are you going to get enough power into the laser :p
Personally, I prefer slug weapons anyway, like the early gauss rifles. That or older assault rifles. They're just as good, and much cheaper...

'Come on you apes, you wanna live forever?'

So what do you need from me. ?

I understand support and tanks better than infantry so this will be interesting.
Kind of envision my PBIs having a similiar setup to the USCM...unless you want them all sat on grav bikes...

Hehe.
So what, two ten man squads with two smartguns each? :p That would be kind of amusing to see...
What sort of set up are you thinking, i'm curious?

Personally, for various reasons, I'd sooner stick to grav - mainly trying to avoid the rotors (easier to bring the aircraft down and probably noiser) and avoid needing a runway (even VTOL need a runway unless you want to drop weapons and fuel load).

Not to mention, rotors will be slower - which may be important if Midden's squaddies need out of there like now... :)

middenface said:

So what do you need from me. ?

I understand support and tanks better than infantry so this will be interesting.
Kind of envision my PBIs having a similiar setup to the USCM...unless you want them all sat on grav bikes...

Main thing I need to know is how many of you are there... it makes transporting troops a whole lot easier if I don't have to start having troops hanging off the sides... :)

middenface said:

Yes.

Right - rough TO&E based off discussions:

We now have four players and I think I'll draw a line there as that's a nice number.

Your resources, splitting the numbers four ways by the mass combat system scaling:

Middenface - Infantry
19 men - one man short of the 'squad' size maximum - I'd assume operating in two teams of nine with you as an attached unit leader. Note that you'll need to find drivers and gunners from that number if you wish to mechanise the unit in ATVs or AFVs.

You need standard issue ammo, tents, medical gear, etc. Remember that this is only what's standard issue to the men - proper medical care, armoury work, etc, is the responsibility of them in the trucks out back.

Barnest2 - Armour
6 men. At three men per tank thats two tanks - a squad sized unit - or else if you want to debate swapping a man with someone one tank could become two light vehicles. Frankly a pair of tanks is probably the best bet.

BFalcon - Air
The smallest numbers at just 4. Sufficient to take a squad-level CAS unit of 2-man gunships, or two one-man craft and a transport. Depends on whether you plan on being airmobile in a battlefield as well as logistic sense (in which case Barnest2 has a problem but Middenface won't need APCs). Either way, also need a big dropship of some kind, and as noted, you will wish to chop and change from a 'squadron park' if you can afford multiple things on standby.

I take the Mercenary Carryall's rule as standard - any big, single-bay carrier can take vehicles; one point of hull translates to 3 'passengers' of capacity - so two hull 8 Hovertraks (8x2x3=48) would just fit in a Mercenary carryall (capacity 50)

That probably means the whole unit won't fit inside in one go, and it'll take three flights to drop from orbit - one for infantry, one for tanks, one for support.

Burocrate - Support (including Fire)
A Mercenary HQ squad is 8 men, or artillery squad is 2 guns (with 2-4 crew). I'd take the guns for support, but also you'll need to nominate the following roles somewhere (who may be the same people depending on skills, or may be you):

Medic (depends if Middenface has squad medics but total medical cover 1 per 10 men for the unit)

Mechanic (at least one per 3 vehicles, as per High Guard)

Comms (Planet-wide and orbital)

Instructor/Recruiter

Quartermaster/Broker/Admin/Arms Dealer/General Thieving Ne'erdowell

Gun Crews for any support weapons

You may also want some ATVs or similar to cart stuff around if you're going to be acting as mobile field base. Medikits, Habitat modules, generators, toolkits, transceivers.

Budget: Not really too bothered, but let's not go mad. MCr10 each for the tanks, similar price for the airpower (again, heartily recommend CAS planes - fighters are nice in theory but if you're dropping a platoon through hostile airspace without support you've really taken the wrong ticket), MCr5 for the poor bloody infantry* and maybe a further MCr5 for the rest of your gear (i.e. artillery & hq)?

That's a starting net of MCr 40, which should be enough for a reasonable starting bank, kit, vehicles, personal weapons and a couple of artillery-pieces to provide support from mobile field base. Obviously feel free to barter men and credits back and forth.

Obviously you can supplement your personal issue gear from your own moneys (and benefits if you're rolling up a character). On a related note, had Barnest2's tank driver. If the rest of you do you're characters, I'll ask to get the Damage, Incorporated board set up.

*Who will be bloody poor indeed if you try and buy nearly 20 suits of TL12 combat armour! I suggest cutting some corners, especially if you want them to have....y'know....guns.
[/i][/b]

Wait, I get to build my own tanks? My character is going to be so damn happy after spending 16 years being irritated by army procurement services...

Also, I think fire support would be pretty useful, though it's secondary to the other skills, because we have armour and CAS. A couple of mortars never goes wrong though...

Fire support was more a suggestion so the REMFs have something practical to do once the gauss needles start flying.

If they want to kit themselves up as a third (short) infantry squad, that'd work too.

Burocrate's choice.

And yeah - second thoughts; vehicle design is one of the fun bits of traveller, so if you want to mod or even custom your tanks and air support, go with it.

Likewise, if Middenface is prepared to pay for custom hardware, he can mess with the infantry gear.

Ahem. Everyone Report to the Forum!

Awesome. I'll whip something up shortly. Can we have an OOC chat as well?

Oh, and Kiara reporting in (Go Google images!)

Back