Medieval era traveller

tneva82

Mongoose
Has there been any good modifications for traveller suitable for more low tech campaigns?

No need for elves, dwarves, dragons and whatnot fantasy stuff but more akin to 1500-1600 era. Simple arquebusses and pistols for firearms tops.

Something with bit more detail on hand to hand combat.

Free or purchable as pdf/book, doesn't matter provided quality is good.

tneva82 said:
Has there been any good modifications for traveller suitable for more low tech campaigns?

No need for elves, dwarves, dragons and whatnot fantasy stuff but more akin to 1500-1600 era. Simple arquebusses and pistols for firearms tops.

You could take a look at the rules designed by Captain Jack, although
they are probably a bit too close to D&D for your purposes:

http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=43387

Hey,

I'm not 100% sure this is what your looking for, but the company Terra / Sol Games recently released a product called Netherell. It covers a world in their Twilight Sector Traveller setting which is primarily fantasy. They don't have expanded rules as such for melee combat but they do have rules for generating more fantasy based characters within a Traveller setting and the world is pretty good overall.

It does have a magic system, but frankly its mostly plays like an expended Psi system and could easily be removed if your after making the system more low fantasy.

Hope this helps.

Mara.

Marachai said:
Hey,

I'm not 100% sure this is what your looking for, but the company Terra / Sol Games recently released a product called Netherell. It covers a world in their Twilight Sector Traveller setting which is primarily fantasy. They don't have expanded rules as such for melee combat but they do have rules for generating more fantasy based characters within a Traveller setting and the world is pretty good overall.

Well generally aiming for rules that are traveller based(I like the easeness of it. Very little book keeping and I like d6 dices) that would allow me to play some campaigns based on circa 1550-1650 our age(close to turn of the century probably).

I'll take look at that.

A few years ago, after moving to my current city, I wanted to get my fantasy based campaign going again from a previous state. I had always used GURPS but the new area I moved to was pretty GURPS-hostile. Everyone was playing D&D 3.5 or 4.0. I had just recently picked up the Mongoose Core rules and was very seriously thinking of using it as the campaign game mechanics. It wasn't that big of a stretch to morph some of the GURPS rules/concepts into it. I was going to expand the psionic rules from Mongoose into a larger spell system, and was making some headway until D&D pathfinder came out, so I settled on it.
However, Mongoose is still a really good system at any tech level for basic combat mechanics, and with a little or moderate at most, modifying, you could easily create a very good medieval / fantasy campaign using it.
Unfortunately, as people have already stated, there arn't any stock supplements I'm aware of that matches what you're looking for. You could however use some GURPS 4.0 rules/guidelines on martial combat techniques like "eye gouge" and "choke hold" or even some of the basic rule concepts like "Aiming for the vitals" or "Aiming for the head" or "Feinting".

Jak Nazryth said:
Unfortunately, as people have already stated, there arn't any stock supplements I'm aware of that matches what you're looking for. You could however use some GURPS 4.0 rules/guidelines on martial combat techniques like "eye gouge" and "choke hold" or even some of the basic rule concepts like "Aiming for the vitals" or "Aiming for the head" or "Feinting".

Mind you I'm not aiming for anything superbly complex system. More akin to what traveller ranged combat in terms of complexity :)

Just worried it gets bit too much just rolling dices with no choices.

Maybe make the weapon reaches actually mean something meaningful and something that allows more diversity for weapons(meaningful ranges goes long way) plus help unimproved combat to be meaningful threat.

If you can, get a pdf version of GURPS. That system has a very good variety of both weapon uses, and combat maneuvers. There are also a few more low TL weapons in the Central Supply Catalog. Of course GURPS includes different "effects" between cutting, impaling, and crushing weapons. If you are going to run a low-tech only game using the Mongoose game mechanics, you might want to barrow some of the GURPS damage concept.
Some weapons, like some pole axes, have a cutting edge, an impaling spear point, and a crushing hammer head opposite the axe head.

Not Mongoose Traveller, but for Classic Traveller I created a Roman supplement that you might be able to mine ideas from, its set around a merchant sailing campaign in the Mediterranean. Mercator.

http://zozer.weebly.com/uploads/3/4/3/3/3433372/mercator3.pdf

In one of the editions of Challange there was an article called "Lances and Lasers" if I remember correctly that dealt with low tech Traveller. While it focused on Mega Traveller it could be easily adapted.

If required I could look out the edition.

I assume you have the CSC? There are lots of TL 2 (as this is the respective TL for what you want) weaponry and things in there for games (firearms will be cool as they will be limited to prototypes of the muskets etc they have in there as theyre TL 3). Of course rules for prototypes are in there.

Also I recommend checking this page out for a list of applicable items to use in such an era. Look no further than TL 3, which would be the newest tech (try and keep to TL 2), in the TTL columns;

http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/Tech_Level_Comparison_Chart

tneva82 said:

I know "Flynn's guide to Magic" is excellent - I have it and have adapted a fantasy campaign using these rules.

Check out the Consolidated Supply Catalog for some nice weapons including I believe flintlocks and similar.

Back