Mass Effect and Borderlands suggestions?

alkibiades

Mongoose
I'd like to play Mass effect and Borderlands using Traveller. Do you think Traveller would be a fitting system for both and did anybody try this so far?

And are there any suggestions for the implementation of Biotics? Psionics sound like a fitting approach but compared to Biotics its utilisation is limited. Meaning the psi points are spent very quickly, one maybe two psi actions and your pool is depleted for hours (besides the second action being hampered by a propable negative DM).

For Mass Effect biotics, I would add those implant devices, and have them provide some Psy points. Give implants a short recharge time, probably just a few minutes. Or if you prefer, take a full round action to recharge them. Whichever feels better to you.

Shields are not difficult either - just rate them by damage reduction. They take the damage themselves, and they recharge after a full round of not taking any damage. In effect, each shield is the number damage points you can "soak" in a single round without taking damage, though you'll need to get into some cover to recharge. If you want, you can differentiate between kinetic barriers and energy barriers.

Allow medi-gel to be used for "first aid". You might want to limit medi-gel to one application per wound. Players in ME don't have that restriction, but some NPC interactions indicate that some wounds can't just be medi-gelled around. You'll need to decide how gritty you want to go.

Borderlands is a bit crazier, and I'm not sure that Traveller's relatively harsh combat matches up particularly well.

hdan said:
For Mass Effect biotics, I would add those implant devices, and have them provide some Psy points. Give implants a short recharge time, probably just a few minutes. Or if you prefer, take a full round action to recharge them. Whichever feels better to you.

Shields are not difficult either - just rate them by damage reduction. They take the damage themselves, and they recharge after a full round of not taking any damage. In effect, each shield is the number damage points you can "soak" in a single round without taking damage, though you'll need to get into some cover to recharge. If you want, you can differentiate between kinetic barriers and energy barriers.

Allow medi-gel to be used for "first aid". You might want to limit medi-gel to one application per wound. Players in ME don't have that restriction, but some NPC interactions indicate that some wounds can't just be medi-gelled around. You'll need to decide how gritty you want to go.

Borderlands is a bit crazier, and I'm not sure that Traveller's relatively harsh combat matches up particularly well.
Thank you very much, these are great suggestions. :)

alkibiades said:
I'd like to play Mass effect and Borderlands using Traveller.

You might want to fish around in the older topics on this board, This has come up before. And a some of the issues have been discussed as well...

Infojunky said:
You might want to fish around in the older topics on this board, This has come up before. And a some of the issues have been discussed as well...
Tried, but didn't find anything going into details yet. I would be grateful for a link to that said tread though :)

alkibiades said:
Infojunky said:
Tried, but didn't find anything going into details yet. I would be grateful for a link to that said tread though :)

Fair enough, as they probably are all about aspects of game play and equipment rather than Mentioning the said IP.

Personnel Shields is one such topic. There are several threads.

As are alternate Psionics, though a lot of that might be in Conjunction with the Psi book.

Another source in Mongoose terms you may want to look at is the Main Book for Traveller:2300 as it has a number of Alternate Character Generation options.

Back