Masbate Warrior

Alasi

Mongoose
In the LWRPG it states that the Masbate warriors of the Lissan plains are nomadic horsebreeders. It explains that they are excellent horsemen and fight best while on horseback.

But in 'War of the Wizards' Samu, once king of the Masbate runs along side Grey Star and other mounted men. The text explains that the Masbate do not ride horses as they are too large in built.

maybe theere are 2 different "breeds"

like the warriors, the tall and strong fighters

and

the hunters, the swift riders

just an idea :)

That's a possible explanation, but the Masbate aren't exactly a numerous race to begin with. Still, it might do as an explanation.

Methos said:

There don't have to be two different 'breeds'. The Sommlending have infantry and cavalry in their armed forces, yet these troop types are all Sommlending.

-GB

True, GB, but it doesn't say anywhere in any of the text that the Sommlending don't ride. It does say that the Masbate don't ride, and yet... here we are.

Until a more concrete explanation arrives, I'm just going to have to assume it was a slip-up. That's pretty common when you're translating as complex a world as Magnamund, and you've got these tiny snippets of information thrown at you out of nowhere--you miss one, and look what happens. Some fans pick up on it, and suddenly everyone is confused.

ok, someone turn joe dever's brain into a crypt spawn and send it to mighty lord shebnar for an interview, we'll make the definitive magnamund even if it kills joe :twisted:

Ghost Bear said:
Methos said:

There don't have to be two different 'breeds'. The Sommlending have infantry and cavalry in their armed forces, yet these troop types are all Sommlending.

-GB

Are the Grey Star books set at a different time period to the LW RPG? I know it's set 50 years before Flight From the Dark. Where do the Greystar quartet fit in to this timeline? I'm assuming after because the Witch King still rules Shadaki in the LWd20 rpg but I could be wrong.

It'd make more sense if they changed from super fast running men to lazy horse riders but it could still go the other way round couldn't it?

Balgin Stondraeg said:
Are the Grey Star books set at a different time period to the LW RPG? I know it's set 50 years before Flight From the Dark. Where do the Greystar quartet fit in to this timeline? I'm assuming after because the Witch King still rules Shadaki in the LWd20 rpg but I could be wrong.
The first Grey Star book is set in 5050, just like the first LW book. (Though there are some obscure inconsistensies that may indicate that the GS books were originally intended to be set a number of years before - but certainly after year 5000.)

BTW, this is the section where it's stated that the Masbaté do not ride:

http://www.projectaon.org/xhtml/gs/04wotw/sect75.htm

But the horse that GS is given seems to be a fast runner - not what you'd expect from race bred to be pack horses...

Back