Map of Gurps CONAN?

René

Banded Mongoose
Does the English version of GURPS CONAN include a big extra colour map of Hyboria (like the German version)? Maybe I'll be able to purchase a copy, but one of the photos I've seen shows only a b/w map.

Thanks for your help!

BTW: Is there a .jpg of the English map (if in colour) somewhere on the www? I found only a b/w: http://hyboria.xoth.net/maps/hyboria.gif

René said:
Does the English version of GURPS CONAN include a big extra colour map of Hyboria (like the German version)? Maybe I'll be able to purchase a copy, but one of the photos I've seen shows only a b/w map.

Thanks for your help!

BTW: Is there a .jpg of the English map (if in colour) somewhere on the www? I found only a b/w: http://hyboria.xoth.net/maps/hyboria.gif
Nope - the map is black and white in the original game, as is the rest of the book.

Jason Durall said:
Nope - the map is black and white in the original game, as is the rest of the book.

Thanks, Jason! Seems, this is one of the rare cases that a German translation has more gimmicks than the American RPG. But the German names for the various locations sound so uncool :?

It´s specific for the German Edition. It´s drawed by a guy named Ringer, who wrote the Book Das Conan-Universum. The Map is very different to the Mongoose Map, esspecialy the East.

I have it :D
(ordered at Pegasus Spiele as they were the Gurps licencee).
It is quite heavy with details but I like it because it includes most features from the Gurps Gazetteer.

Teutonic said:
It´s specific for the German Edition. It´s drawed by a guy named Ringer, who wrote the Book Das Conan-Universum. The Map is very different to the Mongoose Map, esspecialy the East.

Yes, indeed it is. IMO it has more flavour than the Mongoose map - it doesn't remind me so much of the real Europe / Africa / Asia, because the coast lines are stranger / more alien. Plus, it's not so "realistic", but has on the seas images of monsters etc.
When we play, we have the GURPS map on the the table.

Lando The Archmagi said:
The Conan GM screen has a full color fold out map of Hyboria. Used it as a prop for my Dragon*Con tournament.

I saw it at a friend's and the Mongoose map is undeniably drawn with more skill and is coloured with much more precision, but it looks just too "realistic", the German GURPS CONAN map has a touch of treasure map - I'm sorry to have not a scanner, so I could post it some guy on this forum who owns a website, so that all can look at it.

There was also a well done color fold-out map of Hyboria that came with the old TSR AD&D Module RS1 (Red Soja Unconquered). A fairly well drawn color fold-out map also came with the old TSR Conan RPG.

Is that the one with the various Coats of Arms of every nation bordering the map?

If so, I have pics of someone's map that they posted here awile back. I could probably link them if someone would like.

Tristan said:
Is that the one with the various Coats of Arms of every nation bordering the map?

If so, I have pics of someone's map that they posted here awile back. I could probably link them if someone would like.

Yes, that would be very kind of you!

Earlier this summer I scanned the TSR adventures Conan:Unchained! and Conan:Against Darkness! and remember both have maps of the Hyborian continent, but the adventures' maps are fairly like Mongoose's, if I remember (working late tonight: new class of rapier fencing begins after work). But the Hyboria map from the boxed set game is big, both similar to Mongoose's but with cheesy 80s art around the border. (NOTE: TSR adventures listed are for 1st ed. AD&D, the boxed set used it's own rules based on d100, and 4 adventures were released for it. Either would take considerable conversion for the Mongoose game, which I'm in the process of doing).

I'll have to have a look at these maps when I get home.

Bregales said:
Earlier this summer I scanned the TSR adventures Conan:Unchained! and Conan:Against Darkness! and remember both have maps of the Hyborian continent, but the adventures' maps are fairly like Mongoose's, if I remember (working late tonight: new class of rapier fencing begins after work). But the Hyboria map from the boxed set game is big, both similar to Mongoose's but with cheesy 80s art around the border. (NOTE: TSR adventures listed are for 1st ed. AD&D, the boxed set used it's own rules based on d100, and 4 adventures were released for it. Either would take considerable conversion for the Mongoose game, which I'm in the process of doing).

I'll have to have a look at these maps when I get home.

Is there somewhere in the www the TSR map available for download?

The map from the old TSR AD&D Module RS1 (Red Soja Unconquered) did not have any border at all. It is a large fold-out that covers the Hyborian world from its west coast, at the south end to just 100 miles south of Abombi in the Black Kingdoms, to the north of Hyperborea, and covers east to just about 300 miles east of the Great Wall of Khitai.

It only provides a basic general view of the world, it does not have very many cities marked, and only has major water ways listed.

Although smaller in actual size, the GURPS map covered a lot more area of the world and had major points of interest and more cities listed.

Yeah, CB:1 & CB:2 were the same. The TSR boxed set Rene was asking about was about the same overall, just with terrible cartoon pictures of Conan on the border and a sorcerer I think? (Got home late from fencing last night, so I didn't open my TSR stuff).

I tried looking for a web page that might have the Conan RPG map by TSR (circa 1985), but the only link I had had been removed, so I couldn't find any useful links.

I think the GURPS map is much to colourful. The good thing is, all towns mentioned in the novels (even the Red Sonja novels) are drawed. But you don`t find the Comic towns...

A friend of mine volunteered to scan the German GURPS CONAN map. I'm no lawyer, since my question: Would it be legal to post this map to someone on this forum who could host it at his webpage? I fear it wouldn'T be legal...?

You could argue that that would be covered by the doctrine of fair use -- "use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright." -- in U.S. law.
[Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use]

In UK law, under fair dealing, copyright material can be reproduced for the purposes of:
* Research for non-commercial purposes and private study; and
* For criticism, review and news reporting.
[Source: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/advice/crown...reedom-of-information-publication-schemes.htm]

How far posting on such a site as this is covered by "research" or "criticism" or "review" ... well, that's for a court to decide. But generally, it seems, if you clearly credit the originator and don't make money from it, you're less likely to get in to trouble -- even if it were strictly an infringement of copyright.

Cordialement,
Ant

Ant said:
This is a good map, I think. From this site... but Bob doesn't say where it comes from... although it's clearly the centrefold of something.

Gr.,
Ant

Your map is from a Marvel magazine called something like Gazzetter of the Hyborian World. It was published in the same size and format as their colour Conan comics and has a description of each of the main countries (at least from a Marvel point of view).

Very useful as reference for RPGs, at least until Mongoose cover all the countries in depth.

Back