MAGNAMUND'S TROPICAL & TEMPERATE ZONES...

AURIKALKO

Mongoose
HIYAS!

Just to nitpick & ease my maddening brain, could some kind soul please tell me where is Magnamund's Equator?

Thanks
Auri
from the
Kalko
clan

columbob said:
I'd say starting with the eastern parts of the Tentarias and working you way westwards.

I'd agree. As I recall, the Tentarias marks the separation between Northern and Southern Magnamund.

Bewildered Badger said:
columbob said:
I'd say starting with the eastern parts of the Tentarias and working you way westwards.

I'd agree. As I recall, the Tentarias marks the separation between Northern and Southern Magnamund.

well.. it depends.. north or south of the equator or north or south of the Tentarias... calling the two parts northern and Southern is not a proof...

Anyway the climate geography in Magnamund is everything but logical... Vassagonia is supposed to be a kind of saharian country but southern of Vassagonia you find countries with moderate climate (Dessi and so on).

My point of view is to make it a kind of "chaotic climate world" (or to suppose that the climate now is the results of the gods manipulations and fights) to justifiy everything you want...

The Wolf said:
AURIKALKO said:
HI!

So, there's no "official" answer? Where's Joe when you need him?

Auri
from the
Kalkos Rangers

Recovering from Cancer.

Hi!

Well, I wonder if he's interested in Mongoose's take on his creation. Probably too busy with life to pay much attention to posts made here, hmmm...

...So I guess we'll never know...

Well, good luck anyways, Joe!

Auri
kal
KO

I would not draw the equator straight through Tentarias. Dessi might lie at the equator, but a country like Lencia is a bit further north. The Tentarias goes in northwest-southeast direction.

That said, I think there is hard to draw any general conclusions about weather and temperature zones. Jungles and deserts seem to have been placed where it fits. Magnamund can't completely be compared with Earth. Not everything has to make sense. As Connor McLeod would put it: "It's a kind of magic."

does the axis a planet spins on have to correspond to the north-south axis? I know on Earth they (almost) match up, but do they all do it? If not, then the axis could be drawn in any number of ways.
Al

I did some very rough measurements comparing the map of Magnamund from the back of the RPG to a map of Earth.

Basically, if you count Kalte as the approximate boundry of the Arctic circle, Northern and Southern Magnamund cover a lateral distance about the same as from northern Scandanavia to the Tropic of Cancer.

Bon-Al Ironforge said:
does the axis a planet spins on have to correspond to the north-south axis? I know on Earth they (almost) match up, but do they all do it? If not, then the axis could be drawn in any number of ways.
Al

Not all planets do revolve around an axis parallel to there star. This may have some effect on the climates.

The axis of rotation for most of the planets is nearly perpendicular to the ecliptic. The exceptions are Uranus and Pluto, which are tipped on their sides.

It can't be as extreme as a horizontal axis though or one side of the planet would be permanently dark and the other always light. That does kind of work for a world fought over by the Gods of Light and Naar but it's not Magnamund.

I'm inclined to go with the Mystical answer myself magic affecting sea currents, hot spots of geothermal activity etc.

Cheers WW.

Bon-Al Ironforge said:
Al

In the case of ordinary planets it depends how the magnetic axis is aligned in comparision with the central rotational axis. A compass does not in the case of Earth point towards geographical north, but towards the magnetic south pole.

Smiling Fox said:
Bon-Al Ironforge said:
Al

In the case of ordinary planets it depends how the magnetic axis is aligned in comparision with the central rotational axis. A compass does not in the case of Earth point towards geographical north, but towards the magnetic south pole.

That is why we have three norths in Earth, True North, Magnetic North and Map North.

Back